Panama Canal

Lizzietin

I've got this lifelong desire to sail through the Panama Canal. My partner can't think of anything more boring! Is it boring? I've a big birthday coming up and its my turn to choose the cruise - but I don't want to take the reluctant partner through the Panama and find he was right, that it is boring. Any comments?

Far from it. If your partner is anything of an Engineer, or even appreciates engineering, he will marval at the locks.

The way the ship meanders through the landscape.

Where they are doing widening schemes is marvellous because of the layers of the banks which are left.

Now boring, do the Suez Canal. Sand one side and greenery through irrigation as a result of the Aswan Dam scheme on the other. No locks. Boring.

Another fascination canal is the Corinth. Only short. You can go through it and back as an excursion in an hour. See where the water is 'running uphill'

Panama is superb. If he doesn't want to go, go by yourself, or take me!

Panama canal is an excellent cruise. If you travel from Barbados to Acapulco or the other way round you have the feeling of having completed a real journey, rather than ending up after 14 days back where you started. The actual transit through the canal takes a day and is fascinating, with the scenery constantly changing. Hurry up and book it as I don't think P & O have many cruises through the canal next winter (2011/2012)

We're doing this cruise in January and are soooo excited. I'm really looking forward to it. We've got a few days cruising round some beautiful Caribbean Islands, then through the Canal, then finish in Accapulco to see the cliff Divers.

I've found this on youtube. If you search for Panama canal transit there's quite a few - but this one is of Oceana which we are going on.

This was something my husband wanted to do for a long time - I had no real view on it - except of course it could mean a nice cruise!

We completed a transit as the last leg of a world cruise in 2009 - and both of us really enjoyed it. It was a very long hot day, but very interesting - there is so much going on around you. My husband is very interested in engineering and history, so for him, it was a perfect day! He bought and read a very interesting book before we went to understand more of the history (Hells Gorge - the battle to build the Panama Canal) and so could identify so much more than just the amazing engineering feat.

I would say go for it - even if he doesn't enjoy it, there is still the opportunity to lie in the sun and relax, a barbie on deck, or all the other things available on a cruise!

Alison

It a great day, and an unforgettable experience.

However, 12 hours of the Panama Canal is more than enough. You cannot stand outside all day due to the humidity. You can see much more if you have a balcony cabin, with the ease of going outside, for a short time, more so than being on deck for the full transit which takes 12 hours.

Wildlife to see, if you are very observant.

After one set of locks, and watching the mules do their job, it is a slow process. Can't say we would welcome doing it again, except for getting from A to B.

However, seeing the ships all lit up on the Pacific side , waiting to do the night transit was a highlight.

A great experience!

Did the full transit on new years day a few years ago and as the ship started going through the canal about 4.45am, it was a late night before and a very early start! My DH is an engineer so was very interested in the locks and the canal, and I thought before I went that that it wouldn't interest me that much, but I would say that I was totally overawed by the scale of the locks and the whole experience was terrific.

Best wishes and happy cruising.

Archived