Lots of questions - MSC Splendida

Sunshine required

Hi there,

We are looking into booking another family cruise for next year. We were all on our first ever one July 2009, Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas. It was fantastic and none of us could fault a thing. We hope for the same with our next cruise.

What we are looking at is MCL Splendida - Genoa, Naples, Palermo, La Goulette, Palma de Majorca, Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa - 7th Aug 2011 - 7 nights.

I have a few questions about this ship:

1. does it suit various age groups? (60, 56, 45, 34, 45, 31, 28, 26 and 3)

2. what type of bed would be given to my 3 year old Nephew as he would be unable to sleep in a bunk bed.

3. is smoking permitted on private balconies?

4. Are there any formal nights?

5. Would you recommend the evening entertainment?

6. is the food quality good?

7. what are the facilities for small children (3years) ie. pool, kids club etc.

8. what are the swimming facilities for adults?

9. Is it only set times for dining?

That’s all I think of for now but any info is appreciated! :cool:

The Splendida is a huge ship with lots of facilities, shops, and even a "piazza" with an ice cream shop. You'll get great exercise just walking from front to back. I'll try to answer your questions but I've never traveled with children.

1. All age groups should find plenty to do aboard and on the particularly port-intensive cruise that you'll be on.

2. Bed will depend on the cabin. If his cabin has a sofa-bed, that may be best for him. Otherwise the cabins with three and four beds in addition to the double the extras will pull down from the ceiling.

3. MSC has a strong smoking policy. There's no smoking allowed in cabins and balconies, only out on the decks and in certain areas of certain lounges.

4. On seven night cruise there will be two gala nights. Don't worry about having to bring a tux or long gown because they're pretty relaxed. Just dress "nice."

5. I rarely go to the evening shows but fellow passengers always have raved about the great shows they put on. There's one for each dinner seating.

6. Food of course is subjective but I find it (in the restaurant) to be good to very good, rarely poor and sometimes excellent. Depends on the menu for that dinner. Food in the self-service buffets are so-so.

7. There are kids clubs based on age groups. They look like they're having fun.

8. The Splendida has several pools and hot tubs to choose from. There's even an adult-only pool in the back of the ship with its own bar and sun loungers.

9. There are two dinner seatings in the restaurants in the evenings. First seating is usually at 18.00 and the second at 20.30. Most Americans and north Europeans generally choose the first while the southern Europeans usually go for the second.

Hope this helps.

The Splendida is a huge ship with lots of facilities, shops, and even a "piazza" with an ice cream shop. You'll get great exercise just walking from front to back. I'll try to answer your questions but I've never traveled with children.

1. All age groups should find plenty to do aboard and on the particularly port-intensive cruise that you'll be on.

2. Bed will depend on the cabin. If his cabin has a sofa-bed, that may be best for him. Otherwise the cabins with three and four beds in addition to the double the extras will pull down from the ceiling.

3. MSC has a strong smoking policy. There's no smoking allowed in cabins and balconies, only out on the decks and in certain areas of certain lounges.

4. On seven night cruise there will be two gala nights. Don't worry about having to bring a tux or long gown because they're pretty relaxed. Just dress "nice."

5. I rarely go to the evening shows but fellow passengers always have raved about the great shows they put on. There's one for each dinner seating.

6. Food of course is subjective but I find it (in the restaurant) to be good to very good, rarely poor and sometimes excellent. Depends on the menu for that dinner. Food in the self-service buffets are so-so.

7. There are kids clubs based on age groups. They look like they're having fun.

8. The Splendida has several pools and hot tubs to choose from. There's even an adult-only pool in the back of the ship with its own bar and sun loungers.

9. There are two dinner seatings in the restaurants in the evenings. First seating is usually at 18.00 and the second at 20.30. Most Americans and north Europeans generally choose the first while the southern Europeans usually go for the second.

Hope this helps.

Hi I just came back from the Splendida today. I travelled with my 3-year old daughter. Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1. There are lots of things going on for every age group. My REALLY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT was the Mini Club. It is supposed that small children (till ca 4 year olds) can play in a room which is full of balls, paintings, slides etc. We tried to go there many times during the cruise but they were never open. The thing is: when they had many children, they would close this nice room and transfer to a bigger room where there is nothing for 3 year olds. They used to play Wii games etc in this room. In fact on this cruise, many parents with small children were complaining and I was surely one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. In our balcony cabin, they did not arrange for a bed for my daughter. The sofa was not a sofa bed. What we did was: we turned the sofa so that it faced and touched the wall of the cabin (so that she wouldn t fall) and the cabin staff brought us sheets, blankets and pillows for her. Hy daughter was very excited with her bed and slept all nights through (even when the weather was horrible and we rocked for hours!!)

3. Smoking is not allowed in the balcony and strongly discouraged in the cabins. Needless to say, many people around our cabin were smoking on the balconies.

4. Re Gala: Just don t bother to dress in your nicest suits. It was a normal dinner and the captain was never there. Many people were wearing normal sunday clothes. We, who dressed up, were an absolute minimum. On the second gala, one could have some photos taken with the captain and there was free champagne. We did not attend this.

5. The shows were WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Real professionals I assure you. The shows were the highlight for my 3 year old daughter. Every night she asked for the shows and we attended to all of them.

6. I always had breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria. In my opinion the food was very good. Rarely we found lines (and the ship was full!!) and the food was always warm. Dinner was always very good.

7. Forget the kids club for the small ones. Perhaps you are luckier than we were though

9. In the Mediterranean the seating times were 7 and 9.30pm. Except at Tunis where the timings were 7.30 and 9.45pm.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Archived