Recent drinks menus/prices?

louhun88

Look out for the cocktail of the day in the daily paper delivered to your cabin, if you want it, say 'cocktail of the day please'as sometimes they say 'large one? ' And if you say yes you pay the normal price , the cocktail of the day ' is a good measure anyway.

Some drinks prices here:

Same as british pub prices. Very fair and no extra service charge added.

Sept 2009

Cocktail of the day, For example... Harvey Wallbanger £2.65, Mocktail £1.70 (NON ALCOHOLIC)

Bottle of Merlot Chilean Red £16.50

Bottle Savignon Blanc £16.45

1/2 litre house wine around £7

Glass House wine 175ml £2.65: Lg 250ml £3.65

1 PT Stella £2.90

Magners bottle £3.85

Gin £.2.15 tonic sm can 75p

Guinness £2.60

Pimms No1 £2.95

Bottle water for cabin lg £1.65

Cruising on Azura next month and our previous cruises have been on RCI, Princess, Celebrity and others where the 15% tip is levied on drinks. How does it work on P&O, do you tip the waiters that bring you a drink and if so, how much?

TIA

Sue

Cruising on Azura next month and our previous cruises have been on RCI' date=' Princess, Celebrity and others where the 15% tip is levied on drinks. How does it work on P&O, do you tip the waiters that bring you a drink and if so, how much?[/size']

TIA

Sue

I hope that the system has not changed in the short time since I last took a cruise with P&O.

The last time I was with them, any bar/waiting staff got their tip from the actual sale recorded by the signing of your tab. Of course if you wanted to, you could give whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, as an expression of your gratitiude for good service.

I hope that the system has not changed in the short time since I last took a cruise with P&O.

The last time I was with them, any bar/waiting staff got their tip from the actual sale recorded by the signing of your tab. Of course if you wanted to, you could give whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, as an expression of your gratitiude for good service.

But of course that is much harder to do as no actual cash is used in the transaction, unless you carry a pocket full of change around all day.

Cruising on Azura next month and our previous cruises have been on RCI' date=' Princess, Celebrity and others where the 15% tip is levied on drinks. How does it work on P&O, do you tip the waiters that bring you a drink and if so, how much?[/size']

TIA

Sue

The onboard guide on Azura under the section for tipping actually states that it is not necessary to tip bar staff since they are simply happy to be of service to you, or words to that effect. There isnt really any way to tip them unless you carry loose change with you of course no one really does. They are keen to get an order from you so perhaps they earn bonuses based on the level of sales they achieve. Never had to wait more than a few minutes before being approached by a drinks waiter.

Its such a relief after the tips policy on RCI where we felt that the included 15% still wasnt enough and you only got good service if you tipped over and above the 15% they impose automatically.

You will find drinks so much cheaper on P&O even before you take into account the 15% service charge. Service from everyone much better too as the ethos is more that they have to work for their tip and not just get it automatically. That goes for all aspects of the service. On our recent Cunard cruise I never even met our room steward! He was efficient on the whole and cabin always clean but it would have been nice to put a face to the name! Neither did the waiters properly introduce themselves! More drinks to choose from on P&O too I think. Definitely better range of cocktails on P&O!

• 2 weeks later...
No requirement to tip drinks waiters or bar staff on P&O.

We gave our 2 favourite pool bar waiters a tip on our last transatantic on Artemis - being at sea so much and they were just there in the back ground and really attentive the whole trip. It was not much compared to the cabin steward/dinner waiters - but we wanted them to know we appreciated the trouble they took for us.

We found drinks prices on Ventura (June 2009) to be around the same as British pub prices, and the cocktail of the day was always good value. We didn't leave any tips for bar staff as we never had any cash with us! No service charge was added and we didn't feel that the bar staff were waiting to be tipped either.

The after dinner liqueur offered each night was also a bargain - something like £1.25 - £1.50 I think.

On our last night they had two bottles of wine on offer at £9.95 each which I though was very good value - may not have been wine connoiseur standard but they tasted fine to us!

We went on MSC'S new ship Magnifica in March this year and it was a different story! Drinks prices were around twice what we paid on P & O and 15% service was added. You paid this whether you sat at the bar and had your drinks handed to you over the counter, or sat at the far end of a lounge with a waiter walking a fair distance to serve you.

Archived