need new york help!!

catergirl

Haven't been to Times Square in over a year, but was there tonight. What a wonderful job they've done with the pedestrian mall, the lights, and glitter. It was mobed, clean, and it looked like everyone was having fun. But, the closing off of some of the streets made traffic going cross town very slow. Hopefully, on the Sunday of July 4th weekend, it will be less crowded.

Haven't been to Times Square in over a year, but was there tonight. What a wonderful job they've done with the pedestrian mall, the lights, and glitter. It was mobed, clean, and it looked like everyone was having fun. But, the closing off of some of the streets made traffic going cross town very slow. Hopefully, on the Sunday of July 4th weekend, it will be less crowded.

That's why many cabbies and bus drivers dislike the street closing.

I was in the city yesterday with a friend. We were talking about how well the city has been cleaned up and how tourist-friendly Times Square is. The red bleacher-like structure over the tickets both has won design awards. The only thing I don't like is the abundance of chain restaurants, like red lobster and applebees, around Times Square. Tourists flock to those familiar places and miss out on New York's many independent restaurants.

My friend and I are life-long Jersey Girls, so we've been going to the city for a *few* years. We can both remember when you wouldn't want to walk along 42nd street. And forget Bryant Park (behind the library). It was once nicknamed "needle park" because the dealers and addicts used to hang out there. Now it's one of the most delightful open spaces in the city.

As the ads used to say, "I love New York!"

I agree. Haven't seen that in a while and never saw anyone spit, but those guys were scary because they would jump on the car roof and you had to pay them to wash your window.

I never saw the roof jumping! :) I used to just turn on the windshield wipers when they got near me and they left me alone.

The only thing I don't like is the abundance of chain restaurants, like red lobster and applebees, around Times Square. Tourists flock to those familiar places and miss out on New York's many independent restaurants.

Unfortunatley many American tourists are not that adventurous and eat only what they know.

Times Square is busy and full of tourists and it's fun if you are visiting butit is very annoying to the locals. Come on people: walk faster and don't make sudden stops! :D

I never saw the roof jumping! :) I used to just turn on the windshield wipers when they got near me and they left me alone.

Unfortunatley many American tourists are not that adventurous and eat only what they know.

Times Square is busy and full of tourists and it's fun if you are visiting butit is very annoying to the locals. Come on people: walk faster and don't make sudden stops! :D

*LOL* I hear ya.

I am always walking behind Ed Earl and Thelma who have to stop and take a picture of every building taller than the Piggly Wiggly back home in Grovers Corners *LOL*

That's why many cabbies and bus drivers dislike the street closing.

I was in the city yesterday with a friend. We were talking about how well the city has been cleaned up and how tourist-friendly Times Square is. The red bleacher-like structure over the tickets both has won design awards. The only thing I don't like is the abundance of chain restaurants, like red lobster and applebees, around Times Square. Tourists flock to those familiar places and miss out on New York's many independent restaurants.

My friend and I are life-long Jersey Girls, so we've been going to the city for a *few* years. We can both remember when you wouldn't want to walk along 42nd street. And forget Bryant Park (behind the library). It was once nicknamed "needle park" because the dealers and addicts used to hang out there. Now it's one of the most delightful open spaces in the city.

As the ads used to say, "I love New York!"

Oh My, You are making me very homesick..:)

As you were a Life-long, Jersey Gal, I was a life-long, Long Island Gal, but loved going into "The City" ! Last time we went through "The City" was in 1995 with our sailboat, which was very exciting, especially when passing the Statue & then going into the East River toward "Hellgate"..... :) However, we missed going into "The City" as tourists, since we anchored & docked out on Long Island Sound...

I remember, during my teenage years, cutting High school with Friends,...We took the Bus & Subway into "The City " just to see the St. Patrick's day Parade..Our Son & Grand-daughters would not believe that I cut school:eek:...LOL...Also can't believe that I got away with it & Mom never found out! Whew!.

Then as an adult working on L.I , drove into "the city" to meet DH for dinner, or attend meetings, & Holiday Parties...Always loved "The city", especially during the Holidays...Have vowed that this time while we're in NYC pre-cruise in Aug, will try to talk one of our Nieces into riding the "EL" into "The City" with me...:) DH may not go, but he will enjoy spending the time alone with his Brother..

Everyone, going to Bermuda on HAL or any other Cruise Line, from NYC, should at least take a few extra days pre or post cruise, just to explore "The City" As Boytjee suggested take a bus, subway &/or walk...You won't be dissapointed...NYC is such a fascinating & exciting City..

Can't wait!

Cheers......:)Betty

As you were a Life-long, Jersey Gal, I was a life-long, Long Island Gal, but loved going into "The City" ! Last time we went through "The City" was in 1995 with our sailboat, which was very exciting, especially when passing the Statue & then going into the East River toward "Hellgate"..... :) However, we missed going into "The City" as tourists, since we anchored & docked out on Long Island Sound...

I remember, during my teenage years, cutting High school with Friends,...We took the Bus & Subway into "The City " just to see the St. Patrick's day Parade..Our Son & Grand-daughters would not believe that I cut school:eek:...LOL...Also can't believe that I got away with it & Mom never found out! Whew!.

Then as an adult working on L.I , drove into "the city" to meet DH for dinner, or attend meetings, & Holiday Parties...Always loved "The city", especially during the Holidays...Have vowed that this time while we're in NYC pre-cruise in Aug, will try to talk one of our Nieces into riding the "EL" into "The City" with me...:) DH may not go, but he will enjoy spending the time alone with his Brother..

Everyone, going to Bermuda on HAL or any other Cruise Line, from NYC, should at least take a few extra days pre or post cruise, just to explore "The City" As Boytjee suggested take a bus, subway &/or walk...You won't be dissapointed...NYC is such a fascinating & exciting City..

Can't wait!

As a lifelong Connectifcut Guy, I am always in "The City". The restaurants, the plays, the clubs. Just the energy you gte walking around the city. It really uis like no where else.

I have also been going there long enough to enjoy the changes they have made to The Times Square area. Time was you got the hell out of there before it got dark. Now it is a great place for all ages to enjoy.

I know what you mean! I want an express lane for those of us who have seen it before and have somewhere to go (for me, it's usually running for a train). My favorites are the hand-holders who don't stay close together, effectively cutting off anyone who wants to pass.

Ditching school for St Pat's in the city is a big thing with teens in our town. The assistant principal used to camp out all morning at the train station, snagging ditchers.

Can't wait!

If you haven't been to NYC in a long time, defnitely go walk around the times square area. It's a lot different now, especially since they put in the pedestrian area. Lots of places to sit and people-watch.

I would save the Times Sq sightseeing for another time. Plan 2 or 3 days before your next cruise, and there will be more time to see the sights.

Like many have said, you can't be too sure if you'll hit traffic going thru there ... not worth the risk (and head-ache).

Have a good trip! :)

I have to agree with this.

I am not a native New Yorker but I lived in Midtown Manhattan for four years and I would recommend caution.

NYC is worth a visit anyway. Take the time to do it right on your next opportunity.

Smooth sailing to you...

Archived