need new york help!!

catergirl

dont know if its possible or practical, but we are arriving a little after noon on the day of our cruise, sept 6th, labour day, and the one thing we wanted to see was time square! could we get a taxi/shuttle from newark airport, swing by to see TS and then go to the cruise terminal?? speaking of which, does anyone know which terminal it might be? can/new eng cruise on the eurodam:confused: thanks!!

If you mean a 'drive by'...... having the taxi drive you through and continue on your way to the terminal, then yes, you probably can if your plane arrives on time, you don't have delay getting luggage etc

Be very aware of the time. You must be checked in 60 minutes prior to sailing or 90 minutes if you did not pre-register on line.

Use common sense and if you have traffic delay from the airport to the city, obviously you need to reconsider.

[This is based on my thinking you have a scheduled 5 P.M. sailaway. Is that correct?]

dont know if its possible or practical, but we are arriving a little after noon on the day of our cruise, sept 6th, labour day, and the one thing we wanted to see was time square! could we get a taxi/shuttle from newark airport, swing by to see TS and then go to the cruise terminal?? speaking of which, does anyone know which terminal it might be? can/new eng cruise on the eurodam:confused: thanks!!

Almost anything is possible. But this isn't terribly practical.

If you're arriving at Newark airport, your driver's route won't be through Times Square. There is absolutely no way a shuttle driver would detour through Times Square. If you take a taxi, you might ask the driver to detour. It really isn't terribly far, but it's awkward and slow to drive around in that area of the city, even on a holiday.

I don't know if a taxi from the airport to Midtown has a flat rate or is on the meter. If it's metered, a cabbie might be willing to take the detour. But it will run up the cost of the ride (I don't know how much). If the trip is a flat rate, you might ask if the driver will detour through Times square if you are willing to pay extra.

Traffic is such that all you'll get is a drive-by. There won't be anywhere for the driver to pull over and wait for you to get out and look around.

If it's the Manhattan cruise terminal, no problem. It's not very far from the ship. If it's the port in NJ, it would be risky, unless you have a very late departure. It can take 1/2 hour or more just to drive a few blocks in Manhattan (you can be better off walking those few blocks).

OK, it looks like Eurodam is cruising out of Manhattan. In that case, assuming making good time from Newark (and that's a really big assumption), you may be able to see Times Square, But, as I stated previously, the traffic in and around NYC can really tie you up, so be very cautious.

Wow, naked cowboy:eek: didnt know there was one, there that is!! if there is a labor day parade, i quess that answers that. it is i believe manhattan terminal and i believe 5 sailaway...sounds like too much with the parade. thanks all :)

You will be docked in Manhatten. HAL does not use NJ docks.

Sept 6 -- forget Times Square -- Labor Day parade!!

Labor Day is Monday. Would the parade be Sunday? Don't know..... just asking.

Wow, naked cowboy:eek: didnt know there was one, there that is!! if there is a labor day parade, i quess that answers that. it is i believe manhattan terminal and i believe 5 sailaway...sounds like too much with the parade. thanks all :)

Labor Day Parade isn't in Manhattan. If you are on time and want to take the extra time, the best thing to do is ask the taxi driver and be prepared to pay.

Also check to see how many other ships are in port. If there are several, traffic can back up. It once took us a half hour to go 15 blocks or so to the pier.

I just checked the New York cruise calendar. Eurodam and the Glory are both at the westside pier on 9/6. That shouldn't be too bad for traffic. When there are only two ships, each one gets its own terminal. When ships share a terminal, drop-off can be hectic.

Let's see here...

You're flying into EWR on the day of your cruise, arriving (if all goes well) a little after noon... then travelling to Manhattan to catch your ship...

Let's put this in a timeline:

-Say arrival at 12:15 - from YYZ? If so, you'll have to do the customs thing... get luggage... brings us to probably 1:15/1:30 at the earliest;

-Then the drive from EWR to Manhattan: to put things in perspective, Google Maps gives 2 times: one straight: 31 minutes, one in traffic: 1 hour 20 minutes. Genuinely don't know if Labour Day helps or hinders the traffic thing, but we'll say 1 hour to simplify things. So, you're at the cruise terminal at say 2:30, exactly 1 hour before you have to be checked in.

And you want to sightsee on the way? All I can say is, you have stronger nerves than me.

This sounds tricky to me. I lived blocks from Times Square and the Passenger Ship Terminal until 2 months ago. On the weekends, they block off Broadway to vehicles through Times Square, further increasing the congestion.

Is there any reason you can't do the tour AFTER your cruise...on the way to the airport or next destination?

I would save the Times Sq sightseeing for another time. Plan 2 or 3 days before your next cruise, and there will be more time to see the sights.

Like many have said, you can't be too sure if you'll hit traffic going thru there ... not worth the risk (and head-ache).

Have a good trip! :)

New York City doesn't have a Labor Day Parade on Labor Day anymore.

(And if it did, it would go up Fifth Ave. - a few blocks east of Times Square and in the opposite direction of the Hudson River). And usually, Labor Day in NYC is quiet, with the natives gone to the beach and the country leaving the city to tourists. I don't see why you can't ask the cab driver to swing by Times Square before you board. Its only detouring a few blocks.

Have a good time.

(And if it did, it would go up Fifth Ave. - a few blocks east of Times Square and in the opposite direction of the Hudson River). And usually, Labor Day in NYC is quiet, with the natives gone to the beach and the country leaving the city to tourists. I don't see why you can't ask the cab driver to swing by Times Square before you board. Its only detouring a few blocks.

Have a good time.

I agree---the city is practically deserted on summer holiday weekends!

Have a great cruise!

guess we will play it by ear... get our luggage, check if time permitts, the cost and whether the driver thinks its doable!:)

The Labor Day Parade is on 5th Avenue, kicks off about noon.

You cannot really ride through Times Square now because of the pedestrian mall that has been set up. Now called "Broadway Blvd"

You will be riding along the cross streets.

The piers are located between 51 and 55 Streets. Bit of a hike to walk it. Though there will be plenty of cabs to get you there and back if you think you can make it.

Have a good time.

Labor Day Parade is held every year in NYC. Turnout was dismal for a few years and the city was going to stop it.

Things have turned around and the turnout is better than ever. It was shortened to 72 Street instead of 86 Street a few years ago.

I agree with the plan to visit when you have more time. If you flew into La Guardia airport, you could get into the city in about 20-40 minutes (depending on traffic). By the traffic from JFK or Newark can be crazy.

Take time to visit NY. There's so much to see. You'll enjoy it more if you don't have to worry about making it to the port on time.

IMO :)

Archived