Cozumel/Grand Caymen/Ocho Rios help!!

StacyandTim

As you can see, we are to set sail in about 13 days!! Can't wait!!

What website is best to book a dolphin encounter in Cozumel? Have any of you done it? How was it?

What website is best to book the stringray encounter in Grand Caymen? Have any of you done it? How was it?

We don't plan on doing any excursions in Ocho Rios, but I'd love to hear what others have done there and how they liked/disliked it!

Thanks!

Stacy

What site is best really depends on personal preference. I know there are several for each island which have had glowing references from CC members.

In Cozumel, we booked a dolphin swim directly through the Dolphin Discovery website. We booked with Captain Marvin (also online) for swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, but the ship didn't make it and we were not charged. In Ocho Rios we booked a tour that included Dunn's River Falls with Peat Taylor for $30 per person. THAT was an excellent tour and a good value.

You can find all of these companies online by typing them in a Google search. Good luck and enjoy!

Stacy- not to rain on your parade-or damnped your spirits in any way but those dolphin swims go very quickly. THere may not be any availabilty for when you want to go. Check carnivals excursion site now and if they have it book it. Also check http://www.cozumelinsider.com and see what they have available. Make sure you are booking a swim and not an encounter.

Also remember when booking excursions that Cozumel is one hour behind Florida ship time.

Dunns River Falls In ocho rios is a good tour. Look up Peat Taylor. Also Margaritteville is walking distance from the pier.

Hello StacyandTim!!!

I just responded to another one of your posts!!!

I have done the stingring excursion in Grand Cayman and have to say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done!!! Okay, obviously I am not into sky diving or balloon riding, but WOW, an awesome experience!! I have lived near the beach my whole life and know how to swim, but the water has always made me a little uncomfortable. I feel like I am in someone elses space. The stingrays are all over you, like little puppies who have been alone all day. The boat instructor explains that if you are with your significant other, try standing close together or just holding hands and the stingrays will come over and try to seperate you. Seems they have a preference for men. I was in shallow enough water and stood up but bent over so my snorkel mask was in the water and one of the stingray swam right up on my back. Really wild!!!! The tour operators give you small pieces of fish to feed the stingray which have suction mouths on the bottom of them. They come by like a hoover vaccuum cleaner!!! Don't miss this excursion!!!!!! Have fun!!

We waited until we got to the pier in Grand Cayman before booking anything. There were people holding up signs for different excursions. We booked the snorkling & sting ray tour for half the price as what carnival charges. I think it was $30 pp compared to $68 on the ship. Had a wonderful time as they carry less people.

We waited until we got to the pier in Grand Cayman before booking anything. There were people holding up signs for different excursions. We booked the snorkling & sting ray tour for half the price as what carnival charges. I think it was $30 pp compared to $68 on the ship. Had a wonderful time as they carry less people.

Its a good idea if there is NOT a lot of ships in port with you. If there is an excursion that is a must then do research online to find a private vendor. Or find out how many ships are in port with you.

We sail next week. There will be 8 ship swith us in Cozumel 3 of which are Mega liners. Costa Maya is the port with only 3 ships..all the rest are more. I wouldnt take a chance of waiting to book at the pier with that scenerio playing out

Hello StacyandTim!!!

I just responded to another one of your posts!!!

I have done the stingring excursion in Grand Cayman and have to say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done!!! Okay, obviously I am not into sky diving or balloon riding, but WOW, an awesome experience!! I have lived near the beach my whole life and know how to swim, but the water has always made me a little uncomfortable. I feel like I am in someone elses space. The stingrays are all over you, like little puppies who have been alone all day. The boat instructor explains that if you are with your significant other, try standing close together or just holding hands and the stingrays will come over and try to seperate you. Seems they have a preference for men. I was in shallow enough water and stood up but bent over so my snorkel mask was in the water and one of the stingray swam right up on my back. Really wild!!!! The tour operators give you small pieces of fish to feed the stingray which have suction mouths on the bottom of them. They come by like a hoover vaccuum cleaner!!! Don't miss this excursion!!!!!! Have fun!!

Princess! Thanks for the info! I can't wait to do this excursion, Only about 13 more days till we cruise and I'm getting more and more excited each day that passes....EVEN GOT BAGS PACKED ALREADY as I'm only taking summer clothes that I definitely don't need to wear right now!!!

Stacy

Sting Ray encounter we went with Captain Marvin. It was a great experience, worth every penny. There were less people on the boat than the cruise line excursion, we went to 2 other sites to snorkel and it was cheaper than the cruise line excursion.

www.captainmarvins.com

Tracy, thank you very much for the link, I will definitely check it out today and try to get something booked!

Gotta love these boards!!!

Stacy

I know a few people have mentioned Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios. We've done the falls twice, once as a couple, and then again with our DDs. We'll be doing it again in October when we go with our neighbors. You can take a cab to the falls. It's about $6 a person round trip. Make sure you look for red tags, JUTA taxis. They'll drop you off and pick you back up at a predetermined time. I don't remember how much it is to get into the falls, but I'm thinking it's under $10. They will provide a guide for you. Of course, tipping is much appreciated at the end, and well worth it. This last time I dropped my underwater camera after we were quite a ways up and it went sailing down to the bottom of the falls. I figured it was lost. Some of the other guides took the time to find it for me.

I highly recommend Nativeway Watersports in Grand Cayman. They were fantastic! The crew was very friendly, fun and professional. We only had 8 people on our tour instead of hundreds on the ships tour. They were great with our daughter too, who at the beginning was totally freaking out about the rays. They even coaxed a moray eel out of his hole at one of the snorkeling sites!

Check them out at: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Highly recommended!

I went to all these ports about 3 years ago...I was only a kid then but this is what my Uncles and I did:

Cozumel...Chankanaab State Park...zoo, dolphin swim, ecological gardens, and a great beach...a 50ft statute of Jesus at the bottom of the ocean about 30 yards or so from the shore...then we went downtown and walked around...I got something to eat at Pancho's backyard while my Uncles and some ladies they met on the ship went to Carlos N Charlies.

Grand Cayman....my Uncles arranged a tour of the island for us and then we went to the Turtle Farms...they were totally bored but I LOVED it!!...we went to HELL also which is a little building with a post office and bar/restaurant and gift shop...sent my friends some postcards with HELL postmarked on them.

Ocho Rios...took a tour of the area for several hours and then went to Dunn River Falls and climbed the falls which was fantastic!!

Hope this helps you out and hope I didnt repeat alot of stuff others have already told you but I didnt want to have to read ALL the other posts.

Brad

Archived