Freedom of the Seas for large family group??

Hello- I posted this on the family board, but thought I might ask here as well..... I'm looking for thoughts and whether the Freedom of the Seas would be a good choice....

We are a large family group consisting of: my family (with DS3 and DD5), my in laws, and their four other kids plus friends/partners (two teenagers, rest in their 20s).... totally 14 people. We would be in a combination of balcony and inside rooms, with my family of 4 (with the two little ones) in a quad balcony.

We are considering the Western Caribbean itinerary next summer (2011).

Thoughts on this ship? This itinerary? Alternative suggestions?

I've been on the Navigator, but it was just a 2 night without kids. Ship looked great though. My kids enjoy all things water, and the young adults like all things party.

I've cruised NCL, and really enjoy Freestyle.... how is the My Time Dining? Am I understanding that I still pick a time, but then change it if I want? Can I just show up at the dining room whenever I want like Freestyle?

thanks!!!

We are going in February with a group of up to 16 with ages of 18 -70. Seems like a great ship since there are things for everyone to do. Teens have the sports decks and pools, lots of eating options, great entertainment for all ages. Have a great time.

Hello- I posted this on the family board, but thought I might ask here as well..... I'm looking for thoughts and whether the Freedom of the Seas would be a good choice....

We are a large family group consisting of: my family (with DS3 and DD5), my in laws, and their four other kids plus friends/partners (two teenagers, rest in their 20s).... totally 14 people. We would be in a combination of balcony and inside rooms, with my family of 4 (with the two little ones) in a quad balcony.

We are considering the Western Caribbean itinerary next summer (2011).

Thoughts on this ship? This itinerary? Alternative suggestions?

I've been on the Navigator, but it was just a 2 night without kids. Ship looked great though. My kids enjoy all things water, and the young adults like all things party.

I've cruised NCL, and really enjoy Freestyle.... how is the My Time Dining? Am I understanding that I still pick a time, but then change it if I want? Can I just show up at the dining room whenever I want like Freestyle?

thanks!!!

A group of us 12 were on FOS April 25 and we all signed up for MTD because we wanted to eat early so we could see shows and they gave us a 7:45 time to dine for all 12 to sit together and would not change it to an earlier time. So if you want to see shows and eat early split your group up! I complained about it but they could have cared less.

Freedom is a great family ship....everyone will have something to interest them.

If you do MTD, you can "show up' when you like, however, if you plan on eating as a large group, you should probably make reservations so a table will be ready. Perhaps one of the traditional times may better suit a larger group...no discussion or arguments about when to eat! If every family group will be eating on their own, then MTD may work quite well for you.

We had a group of ten on the Freedom of the Seas in October 2008. It was a great experience. There was lots to do on-board. Our age span was 13 to 43 and everyone had things they enjoyed e.i. the arcade, flowrider, dodge ball, and other daily activities. One thing we really liked, is that we chose to rent the flowrider one night for only the people in our party. It was a blast.

Our route was the Western Caribbean. We loved it. Cozumel we did the Atlantis sub, Grand Cayman a private catamaran to sting ray city, Jamaica swam with the dolphins and climbed Dunn's river falls, and Hatti did the water park and some did the Zip Line. Not sure exactly what stops you are making but whatever you do it is a great ship!

We didn't do my time dinning but I am sure whatever you do the food will still be great!

Amanda

Suggestion: Book now. You can always cancel and get your deposit back. If you wait too long, your cabin choices might not be good -- especially if you want any connecting cabins (cabins with an inside door connecting them). If you have the money for the deposits (usually $250 per person), you can even book more than one ship, then cancel the ones you don't want. RCI deposits are fully refundable up to the time of the final payment date (usually 10 weeks prior to departure). If some in the family are not sure if they can go, book 'em anyway now. Again, you can always cancel later, but you might not be able to book later if you wait.

thanks for the responses...

if we decide to do the traditional dining, would they be able to have all 14 at one table? Or is it best to split us up?

how much was it to rent the flowrider for a private group? That sounds great!!

Have a great time! My husband and I just got back from the FoS Western Caribbean last week and liked it so much, we've rebooked - with my parents in tow. It's a great ship and great itinerary; I think you'll love it.

I imagine they could accommodate all of you in one of the regular dining seatings. We were at a table for 8 at the main seating, but there were larger tables as well. The main seating worked out perfectly for us - we preferred it to MTD because it worked out better with evening activities and guaranteed that we'd never have to wait. There was often a line for MTD at Galileo's.

The ports were excellent. We loved Labadee, G Cayman and Cozumel. We've been to Jamaica before and aren't super keen on it, so we just walked around the pier a bit. Our excusions were the Dragon's Tail Coaster in Labadee, Stingray City in G Cayman, and Paradise Beach in Cozumel; the last two were indepedently booked. If you're looking for a fun excursion in Cayman, try reviewing TripAdvisor. We went with Stingray Sailing (www.stingraysailing.com), and they were excellent. There were a total of 25 cruise passengers on the catamaran--so lots of space--and we paid much less than the official cruise excursions for a more private tour to Stingray City and snorkeling. It was excellent, and we've signed up with them again for next year. I'd highly recommend them.

thanks for the responses...

if we decide to do the traditional dining, would they be able to have all 14 at one table? Or is it best to split us up?

how much was it to rent the flowrider for a private group? That sounds great!!

I know they have tables for 12 on the 5th floor MDR -- I was at one last time. I don't know about tables for 14. If you do get split, it is not that big of a deal. You should have the same wait staff. And I would do traditional fixed time dining. Getting a table for 14 at mytime dining might be very difficult.

Don't know about the flowrider or even if is for rent. One of my grandkids had a private ice skating lesson for an hour from one of the ice show performers, and really enjoyed it. But she is from up north (near Jackson Hole, Wyoming).

Did Freedom of the Seas in October of 2009 with a group of 12. Ages from 24 to 65 and everyone had a great time. We also had a mix of balcony and inside cabins and as long as the folks with balconies don't mind having visitors you'll be fine:). We did second seating, traditonal dining and they pushed two tables together for us so we could all sit together, could not have been more willing to do that for us. There is something for everyone on board from the most active to the most laid back and relaxed. Can't tell you anything about western carib. as we did eastern. Port Canaveral is great if you have not cruised from there before. Very easy to get to, get in to, get out of etc. Have a great cruise! Jim

FOS is an excellent choice for your large group. There is so much to do for all ages on that ship! We were just on it and did the Western itinerary. It was a fabulous trip. As someone else already posted, book early to get your rooms together!

Archived