Budget Queen Question

lauriebird

Regarding some photos you posted a few days ago of the "Tracy Arm Glacier Explorer Excursion". Are these photos typical of that tour? They were fantastic and I am ready to cancel the thought of a whale watching trip in favor of this. What are your thoughts?

Regarding some photos you posted a few days ago of the "Tracy Arm Glacier Explorer Excursion". Are these photos typical of that tour? They were fantastic and I am ready to cancel the thought of a whale watching trip in favor of this. What are your thoughts?

I have gone to Tracy Arm 4 times. Yes I would have to say, this is a common photo sample, by small boat.

(I am surprised there were 123 looks at this post?) :)

I have gone to Tracy Arm 4 times. Yes I would have to say, this is a common photo sample, by small boat.

(I am surprised there were 123 looks at this post?) :)

I think that all of us underestimate the number of lurkers on the board. For every single reply to a post, there may be 10, 20, 100 lurkers who read it but do not respond. It is very important to remember them as we post.

It's up to 189 viewers now. I lurk a lot. In fact just about every day. I'm going on an Alaskan cruise the end of Aug. and just want to find out all I can before I go. I did a cruise 10 years ago and I've visited Alaska when my DD lived there, but it's so big and so much to see. I'll be seeing GB for the first time and Skagway. Want to do the train to Carcross via Chilkoot. Thanks for all the info I've seen on here. Price is considerably cheaper than the cruise ship's. And everybody raves about the Chilkoot tours. I want to get the best for the best prices and thanks to Cruise Critic people for all their information and love the pictures.:):)

With very non-descript titles, it is impossible to know what the poster is asking. Often someone says, "Question for XXX" but it is really a general question that many people can answer.

Moral of the story - have helpful, descriptive titles.

With very non-descript titles, it is impossible to know what the poster is asking. Often someone says, "Question for XXX" but it is really a general question that many people can answer.

Or that many people would like to read the answer!

Here are a two threads with Tracy Arm Pictures from this year. I will surely add a few more in 3 weeks :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1223892&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1223059&highlight=

Can anyone supply a link to the photos? I couldn't find them.

Would love to see them... Thanks!

Thanks to all for all of the great assistance on Tracy Arm! I had no idea that there was a smaller boat option, and that it would be so much better than what we would be able to see from the ship. I never looked through HAL's website on shore excursions since we always book through private vendors, but I checked on this last night and now we are booked.

Thanks also to everyone for posting the photos!

Better to do this through your ship if possible. The only other company that operates regularly-scheduled Tracy Arm tours is Adventure Bound. Multiple reports of a very inept office staff. Losing reservations, losing checks, you name it.

Really? That shocks me because we had such a stellar experience with them last summer. They were extremely professional and helpful. I talked with them via phone in advance and also exchanged emails. They were great. And on the day of our tour they had our paperwork all in order and we had a fantastic tour experience with them. It was probably the best excursion we have ever done. It was magnificent seeing Tracy Arm in a small boat and the captain was great. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I'm surprised to hear that there are some negative reviews, at least based on my own personal experience.

Thanks to all for all of the great assistance on Tracy Arm! I had no idea that there was a smaller boat option, and that it would be so much better than what we would be able to see from the ship. I never looked through HAL's website on shore excursions since we always book through private vendors, but I checked on this last night and now we are booked.

Thanks also to everyone for posting the photos!

I'm in a similar situation and just recently read about this option here and in another thread from someone just back from the Zuiderdam. People had mentioned small boat tours of Tracy Arm, but I assumed they would have to be during our port time in Juneau. Now I understand that there is this option that would replace the cruising with our large ship (prior to stopping in Juneau).

I am curious if someone can give a brief overview of what makes this trip worth spending $200 on (versus staying on HAL's Zuiderdam for cruising in Tracy Arm). (To put it in context, we decided against helicopter and flightseeing to bears because of cost. Our other activities are whalewatching with Harv and Marv, rental car in Skagway to Emeral Lake and dog cart ride, and salmon fishing in Ketchikan.) The small ship experience in general is very appealing to us.

Also, the tour departs at 9 AM (according to the HAL web site). We have a 3:15 Harv and Marv trip scheduled. Do you think we would be back in time?

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Really? That shocks me because we had such a stellar experience with them last summer. They were extremely professional and helpful. I talked with them via phone in advance and also exchanged emails. They were great. And on the day of our tour they had our paperwork all in order and we had a fantastic tour experience with them. It was probably the best excursion we have ever done. It was magnificent seeing Tracy Arm in a small boat and the captain was great. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I'm surprised to hear that there are some negative reviews, at least based on my own personal experience.

Of course there would be no negative reviews based on your personal experience...your personal experience was positive :)

Actually I have had two bookings messed up a total of three times (yes, they messed up one booking twice!), all within the past 2 years. And I know there were at least a couple of other posters who have had similar bad experiences with their office (you can do a search to find them). If it weren't for their absolutely disorganized office, it would be a good experience. But I can't separate the tour itself from the booking process.

Honestly? Though I love the tour, I will never take them again and never recommend them. Everyone can do what they want. I think of BQ's bad experiences years ago with Sourdough cars in Skagway and she never recommends them, even though countless others have had good recent experiences. That is her right. This is mine, and mine is based on much more recent experiences :)

I'm in a similar situation and just recently read about this option here and in another thread from someone just back from the Zuiderdam. People had mentioned small boat tours of Tracy Arm, but I assumed they would have to be during our port time in Juneau. Now I understand that there is this option that would replace the cruising with our large ship (prior to stopping in Juneau).

I am curious if someone can give a brief overview of what makes this trip worth spending $200 on (versus staying on HAL's Zuiderdam for cruising in Tracy Arm). (To put it in context, we decided against helicopter and flightseeing to bears because of cost. Our other activities are whalewatching with Harv and Marv, rental car in Skagway to Emeral Lake and dog cart ride, and salmon fishing in Ketchikan.) The small ship experience in general is very appealing to us.

Also, the tour departs at 9 AM (according to the HAL web site). We have a 3:15 Harv and Marv trip scheduled. Do you think we would be back in time?

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Regarding the Harv and Marv trip, my understanding is that the Tracy Arm tour takes 5 hours, which should give you plenty of time. My Tracy Arm cruise departs at 9:45 (on the Volendam), so I should be in Juneau around 2:45, and I had Harv and Marv booked for 3:15. I called Eileen last night (before booking the HAL excursion) and we decided to change the whale watch trip to 4:00 so that timing should not be an issue. We were able to do this since we are a party of 5 and our whale watch trip is just for our family.

I would think that you would have plenty of time, assuming that your Tracy Arm tour is scheduled for 5 hours as well, since this would put you in Juneau around 2pm, but perhaps you could change your whale watch time if it would make you feel better.

Thanks!

Think about it, sitting WAY up out of the water on a BIG ship. It doesn't "stop", get into coves, or is able to see much on the "ground". This is everything and more that the small boat tours do. Even with the cruiseships getting all the way into the South Sawyer Glacier, it is still NO comparism to glacier viewing from these boat tours.

As for those comparisms, as mentioned, I have done boat tours into Tracy Arm several times. All superb. I also HAVE transited Tracy Arm on a cruise ship, so the comparism is first hand, my opinion only.

Merced Mike--Lurk---Are you kidding.People are on this board looking for tips and advice. I think we would all be "weary" if just because you read something posted you felt the need to respond.

"Remember them as we post" WHAT!!!

I have to say that I truly appreciate the majority of people on this board who give their time in helping with the planning and research that goes into planning a trip like this. But, if I read a post without responding or if I ask a question that you don't approve of why waste your time with any response. I asked a simple question. I got the answer I was looking for. 500 people have lurked, 16 have replied. If I needed to ask the question in a different way guess what I would have figured that out.

Not my intention to over react but get your dictionary out and look up what a word means before you use it.

Nice photos! So it's a 5 hour excursion that you take in Juneau? And you booked it through your ship? I'll have to check it out. Looks great!! Thanks!!

I think I answered my own question....I found one for Allen Marine Tours from Juneau from 8:30am to 3:30 pm, but it doesn't start until June 8. Bummer. We'll be in Juneau on May 31.

Think about it, sitting WAY up out of the water on a BIG ship. It doesn't "stop", get into coves, or is able to see much on the "ground". This is everything and more that the small boat tours do. Even with the cruiseships getting all the way into the South Sawyer Glacier, it is still NO comparism to glacier viewing from these boat tours.

As for those comparisms, as mentioned, I have done boat tours into Tracy Arm several times. All superb. I also HAVE transited Tracy Arm on a cruise ship, so the comparism is first hand, my opinion only.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. We'll also be going to Glacier Bay. Would you say that this Tracy Arm excursion would be the only way to see seals on ice close-up?? Looking for the way to explain this excursion to my group. :-) Thanks!

Thank you so much for sharing this information. We'll also be going to Glacier Bay. Would you say that this Tracy Arm excursion would be the only way to see seals on ice close-up?? Looking for the way to explain this excursion to my group. :-) Thanks!

IF there are any harbor seals??? Not a given by any means. I have also seen them in Glacier Bay many times. If it is a priority to see harbor seals hauled out on ice, then you have to think about maxing your opportunties and getting glacier access repeatively. IF you are going to interior Alaska, then be certain to take a boat tour out of Whittier, add also Kenai Fjords. The more times you sail about glaciers, then the more you will see.

You certainly do get a much closer look at the ice from a two deck boat vs a cruise ship.

Merced Mike--Lurk---Are you kidding.People are on this board looking for tips and advice. I think we would all be "weary" if just because you read something posted you felt the need to respond.

"Remember them as we post" WHAT!!!

I have to say that I truly appreciate the majority of people on this board who give their time in helping with the planning and research that goes into planning a trip like this. But, if I read a post without responding or if I ask a question that you don't approve of why waste your time with any response. I asked a simple question. I got the answer I was looking for. 500 people have lurked, 16 have replied. If I needed to ask the question in a different way guess what I would have figured that out.

Not my intention to over react but get your dictionary out and look up what a word means before you use it.

I am truly baffled by what has you upset. I posted a simple comment

I think that all of us underestimate the number of lurkers on the board. For every single reply to a post, there may be 10, 20, 100 lurkers who read it but do not respond. It is very important to remember them as we post.

to a post from BQ. It certainly was not in any way directed or referring to you. "Lurk" is very common board shorthand for those people who read the boards without posting comments. As the post counts show, as the post counts YOU quoted show, there are lots and lots of them. I simply pointed out, in response to BQ's comment on a post count, the number of lurkers as opposed to the number of responses and suggested that the lurkers are appreciated and understood and that we need to consider them, AS WELL AS THE OP, when we post.

I assure you that there are lots and lots of posts that I, like many other regulars on this board, read and pass on without comment. That makes me a "lurker" on those posts, I guess ...

lauriebird, feel free to post, or not post, or lurk, or not lurk, exactly as you think best. It don't make me no never mind anyhow.

The main thing is, have a GREAT cruise!

Archived