Touring Antigua and Nelson's Dockyard Question??

crazy4cruzin

Can anyone tell me how far it is from the port to Nelson's dockyard? Does anyone know the taxi fare to get there? If you went there did you also go to a beach on the way back to the ship? We would like to tour Nelson's dockyard, and then head to a great beach, before heading back to the port. Any ideas? Is there something else I should definitely visit?

The drive from St. Johns to Nelson's Dockyard in English Harbour is approx 30 minutes and costs $25 USD. This fare covers up to 4 passengers.

In the English/Falmouth Harbour area, there are 2 beaches. Galleon Beach is across the bay from Nelson's Dockyard and has a beach bar (The Inn) and a restaurant - Calabash. Pigeon Beach is about a 2 minute drive from the Dockyard.

MaraGirl - Thanks for the info. Which of the two beaches would you recommend more. We are look for a beautiful, sandy beach, with calm waters. It sounds like, from your description, that Galleon Beach has more to offer. Does it also have restrooms? Does Pigeon beach offer any of these things (food, restroom)?

We were in Antigua last week and we used Lawrence of Antigua for a tour of the island and a 3hr stay at the beach. Lawrence was great. He was informative and friendly. We saw all the points of interest, including Nelsons Dockyard and the rain forest. He stopped frequently for us to take pictures and was willing to customize the tour. After the tour he took us to the beach and we stayed there for 3hrs. Our tour began at 830a and we were back at the ship at 430. Cost was 25pp for the tour and 10 additional for the beach. Well worth the money and a great deal compared to the ships tours. We didn't have to deal with crowds, wait for the last person to board the bus or have to wait in lines. Would go with Lawrence again in a flash.

We were in Antigua last week and we used Lawrence of Antigua for a tour of the island and a 3hr stay at the beach. Lawrence was great. He was informative and friendly. We saw all the points of interest, including Nelsons Dockyard and the rain forest. He stopped frequently for us to take pictures and was willing to customize the tour. After the tour he took us to the beach and we stayed there for 3hrs. Our tour began at 830a and we were back at the ship at 430. Cost was 25pp for the tour and 10 additional for the beach. Well worth the money and a great deal compared to the ships tours. We didn't have to deal with crowds, wait for the last person to board the bus or have to wait in lines. Would go with Lawrence again in a flash.

Was there a minimum number of people for this price or was that just 2 of you or? I definitely plan on emailing him, that is a GREAT price!

Am not sure what the minimum number of people Lawrence will take on a tour but our party numbered 6 and we were quite comfortable in his van. The $25 pp few was for the tour only, round trip. The tour lasted about 4 1/2 hours. The additional $10 was for the trip to the beach to drop us off and return to pick us up. There was no fee for entry to the beach. There was a $5 pp charge for lounge chairs but that was your choice. There were people just laying on their beach towels. The best thing to do would be to contact him via email. He responded to my email within a few hours. He did say that he would customize the tours. As far as other drivers, I think that he does but am not positive.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me how far it is from the port to Nelson's dockyard? Does anyone know the taxi fare to get there? If you went there did you also go to a beach on the way back to the ship? We would like to tour Nelson's dockyard, and then head to a great beach, before heading back to the port. Any ideas? Is there something else I should definitely visit?

xxxx

The original post is exactly what we want to do on Antigua -- catch a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard, spend as much or as little time there as we want, then find a nice beach.

Galleon Beach is across the bay from Nelson's Dockyard

Can you walk there from Nelson's Dockyard? I've heard there's a nice hike to a view point from Galleon Beach (might have read it here, can't remember), so am particularly interested in that beach.

Thanks!

We met with Edgar , a taxi driver at the central taxi stand just off the boat and simply said "take us on a mini-tour and to the best beach". For $20 each (4) in our group, we visited the Dockyard, Harbour and other interesting spots for the the initial 2 hours and then spent 4 hours on the beach before we returned to the ship. This beach had the purest powder white sand and crystal waters-better than Hawaii. There was a hotel (now closed due to old Hurricaine damages) that has made it less sought after for tourists. The good news is there is a small bar called Harry's with lunch for $6 per person right at the entrance to the beach. It was fantastic! There are no chairs and only a handful of umbrellas, but some palms are scattered for shade. Gloriously, there are NO crowds! This area is private, quiet, has no merchandise hawkers in sight and is near the beauftiful Harmony Hall restaurant and art gallery. You could easily combine a trip next doorfor a nice lunch before going on the beach. This trip (straight to the beach) will take 25-30 minutes but is worth it. If you call for Edgar he will stay with you all day while you have lunch, sun on the beach- a literal private driver in a clean air conditioned van for $80 for 4 people. We thought this was the best part of our cruise. Antigua is simply beautiful out of St John's. Baby goats crossing the road, pastures, ocean, bays with boats, mostly unspoiled and worth a trip with this driver. A word of caution-if you do not secure the all day services of a driver, be sure to make arrangements for a pick-up to return to the cruise. There are no taxi's standing by...Oh, and he'll take a family of 5-6 together for a flat rate. Edgar's telephone number is 268-773-1453 C. REFERENCE HIS TAXI NUMBER-TX-493.

• 2 weeks later...

Do Lawrence to get yourself around. He will take you anywhere. Tell him Grumpy sent you.:D

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard from the dive shops that the $25 is a one way fare.

If you do Lawrence his price $25 is for all day per person. He will tour you around the Antigua and drop you off at a beach then pick you up later. All you need to do is tell him what you might want to see and he will arrange it for you.:D

Archived