Walking/Hiking Footwear

paradiselivin1

Will be doing a land tour of 11 days prior to my cruise and live in the land of "no shoes" wearing sandals and flip flops 24 x 7 pretty much year round. We will be walking/hiking around Mt. Aleyska, Denali, etc. & find that I no longer have hiking shoes in my wardrobe here. I have had problems with closed toed shoes over the recent past where I end up with black and blue toenails & I know the footwear is always the right size! Anyhow, looking for appropriate footwear that won't break the bank, be easy to pack & will be foot friendly to feet that are accustomed to not being covered :eek: Thanks for any advice.

I bought a pair of Merrell low hiking/walking shoes from Dick's Sporting Goods on clearance. They are very comfortable. I've been actually exercising in them to break them in. Though they are water resistant, I also sprayed them with waterproofing spray so they will be waterproof in case we get caught in rain. I plan to use them as my primary walking shoes.

I bought a pair of Merrell low hiking/walking shoes from Dick's Sporting Goods on clearance. They are very comfortable. I've been actually exercising in them to break them in. Though they are water resistant, I also sprayed them with waterproofing spray so they will be waterproof in case we get caught in rain. I plan to use them as my primary walking shoes.

Thanks, Cruising Goddess. That's the reason for my question as I want a bit of time to break some in as well which is a bit of a challenge in the FL heat & humidity. I have some serious (mud-caked) hiking boots in the closet but was hoping to find my old hiking/walking shoes.

How long ago did you find them and about how much should I expect to spend? As you can imagine, serious "hiking" doesn't happen here on the beach at sea level. Kills me that they even sel winter boots here...

Thanks, Cruising Goddess. That's the reason for my question as I want a bit of time to break some in as well which is a bit of a challenge in the FL heat & humidity. I have some serious (mud-caked) hiking boots in the closet but was hoping to find my old hiking/walking shoes.

How long ago did you find them and about how much should I expect to spend? As you can imagine, serious "hiking" doesn't happen here on the beach at sea level. Kills me that they even sel winter boots here...

Boots are way too heavy. I would definitely recommend getting a pair of hiking shoes, instead of boots.

Merrell shoes are not cheap. I think they are $80-100 regular price. I got mine for $40 since they were on clearance and this was in February. But you don't have to get Merrell brand if you are trying to save money.

Try going to a sporting goods store and seeing what they have in stock. My husband got a generic brand for about $30. Or look online for deals.

I would get a good pair of walking shoes- but be sure, that the uppers are either leather- or mesh- reason being, your feet are use to "air" and if the shoes are "man made leather"- you will end up with sweaty, cold feet. Lands End has some very comfortable activity shoes, and I think they are washable with a brush, if you get into any muddy areas- and they come in regular width and wide- since your feet are use to not being restricted- you might look into a wide width. Right now I just ordered a couple of pair under $20.00- not high fashion- but, just what needed to get out and move in.

I would not buy hiking boots unless you intend to do 5-10 mile hikes- I a great variety of walking type activity shoes- mostly from Lands End- that I use when we take our dogs out on the trails for walks.

I have the Merrell Hiking shoes, too. I wore them last year in Alaska and will be wearing again this year...very comfortable and light. I will be wearing them on the plane.

I also wore my HiTech waterproof hiking boots when I was worried about mud or water and they worked great.

I have the Merrell Hiking shoes, too. I wore them last year in Alaska and will be wearing again this year...very comfortable and light.

Thanks. I see you're from FL as well. Where did you shop for the Merrell shoes? Really would rather not do the boots!

I would get a good pair of walking shoes- but be sure, that the uppers are either leather- or mesh- reason being, your feet are use to "air" and if the shoes are "man made leather"- you will end up with sweaty, cold feet. Lands End has some very comfortable activity shoes, and I think they are washable with a brush, if you get into any muddy areas- and they come in regular width and wide- since your feet are use to not being restricted- you might look into a wide width. Right now I just ordered a couple of pair under $20.00- not high fashion- but, just what needed to get out and move in.

Thanks. Sounds like a few great suggestions. I may look into finding a wide shoe to see if that helps these crazy feet of mine. The materials you suggest make sense as well. I hope I can find something in a store since I won't have time to return anything bought online & replace before leaving in 3 1/2 weeks.

Thanks. Sounds like a few great suggestions. I may look into finding a wide shoe to see if that helps these crazy feet of mine. The materials you suggest make sense as well. I hope I can find something in a store since I won't have time to return anything bought online & replace before leaving in 3 1/2 weeks.

If you don't find anything, you can always order several different pairs at once from Zappos, and just ship back the ones you don't like once you return. They have free shipping both ways, and a liberal return policy. Columbia and New Balance also have lightweight hiking shoes that come in wide sizes.

I am bringing two pair of Merrells. The first (siren) I can actually use for running (or walking) on the treadmill. The Siren's are listed as both 'active' and 'hiking' wear. This is like a super comfortable, but waterproof tennis shoe. The second is more rugged (I plan to do some hiking) and called Chameleon. Both are GORTEX and waterproof. Each of these get consistently great reviews. I think you might get a lot of use out of the Sirens.

Siren

MRL-W16310-100109.tif?op_usm=0.5,1&wid=164&hei=132&qlt=60&fmt=jpg

MRL-W87862-051309.tif?op_usm=0.5,1&wid=164&hei=132&qlt=60&fmt=jpg

Chameleon

Hope that helps,

Cheryl :)

Thank you, everyone. You are all so awesome to get back to me with such great advice so quickly. I need to get out this weekend and start checking out the Merrell's. Sounds like that is a selection that several of you have found to be the footwear of choice.

..... I have had problems with closed toed shoes over the recent past where I end up with black and blue toenails & I know the footwear is always the right size! Anyhow, looking for appropriate footwear that won't break the bank, be easy to pack & will be foot friendly to feet that are accustomed to not being covered :eek: Thanks for any advice.
Since you say you are getting the right size, it sounds like the black and blue toenails are likely being caused by your foot slipping forward inside the shoe. Either that, or the shoes do not have a large enough toe box.

I also have a lot of trouble finding closed shoes that fit me and don't hurt my feet. I don't buy shoes through mail order because I need to try them on and walk around wearing them on a hard floor (not on carpet) before deciding. From one style to another I may need a size larger or smaller, or wider or narrower, even if they are the same brand.

Like some of the others here, I have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes that are lightweight and comfortable. I found mine in a sporting goods store.

If you can do so before your trip, visit a couple of shoe stores and sporting goods stores and try on a number of different pairs of shoes of different brands in different sizes and styles to see what feels most comfortable for you. You might need inserts to hold your foot in place if it is slipping.

Standard shoe-buying advice is to try on shoes at the end of the day. Wear socks of the same weight and thickness that you plan to wear in Alaska.

Long ago, I learned that if the most comfortable shoes cost a little more, it is well worth spending the money because if I am out on a hike and my feet are killing me, at that point I will regret that I saved a few dollars and would gladly pay double the amount without hesitation if it would only get my feet to stop hurting.

If I need to save money on clothing, I will do it elsewhere, not on shoes. But having said that, sometimes a very inexpensive pair of shoes may turn out to be very comfortable and I have had that happen too.

Thanks. I see you're from FL as well. Where did you shop for the Merrell shoes? Really would rather not do the boots!

I actually got mine when I was traveling outside Atlanta at an outlet type store....can't remember the name. Sorry.

I actually got mine when I was traveling outside Atlanta at an outlet type store....can't remember the name. Sorry.

No problem. Just hoping that if you bought them in one of the chain stores I could make a bee-line to cut down on the search. Love where I live but it is more of a tourist destination (island) with limited shopping in the immediate area. At least I have a more focused search & again thank you all for your suggestions.

I would suggest that you try several different brands and styles of low cut hiking shoes as they all fit a bit different...for instance I have trouble with some styles of Columbia hiking shoes. I would also get a pair with as much leather on the tops as possible and then spray them a couple of time with waterproofing. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks. I see you're from FL as well. Where did you shop for the Merrell shoes?
Merrell has a store locator at

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Static/Dealer.mvc.aspx

You might try plugging in your Florida location to see if they have a store anywhere near you, or possibly at the city where your land tour begins. They show a number of stores that carry Merrell shoes in both Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Just wanted to say "thanks" again to those of you who pointed me to the Merrell's. I finally landed a pair today in a Sports Authority and will have to adjust to having something covering these feet. I typically wear a Columbia walking sandal instead of any type of sneaker these days & it will be a bit of a change for me :eek: These seem to be incredibly comfortable. Great suggestion!

Archived