Flight from Vancouver Airport

taxmantoo

If the ship sails into Vancouver and is ready for debarkation at 7 am, would a 10:55 am flight be too early or would a later flight be preferable? We do not have to go through Customs...flying to Ottawa.

If the ship sails into Vancouver and is ready for debarkation at 7 am, would a 10:55 am flight be too early or would a later flight be preferable? We do not have to go through Customs...flying to Ottawa.

I'm pretty sure you do have to go thru Canadian Customs (at the pier)... you came from the states, after all.

Personally, I think 10:55am is cutting it very close. I like to pick a flight that leaves at Noonish, or slightly after... just in case something goes wrong.

Don't forget that there will be many, many others trying to get through Security at the airport, too. You might make it or you might not. IF the ship is on time, clears on time, etc. Are you feeling lucky? :)

(If you're flying Westjet and arrive at the airport in time to catch an earlier flight, you can switch flights if you pay $40/person -- providing there is space available on the earlier flight.)

Our ship, the Zuiderdam docked at 7:00. We paid for luggage direct and were off the ship around 8:00. It was around 10:00 by the time we got through customs and were sitting waiting for our flight.

We did luggage direct on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago. We were flying Continental to Houston. There was a little confusion on the ship about luggage direct because they had just started it with the Alaskan sailing. We were off of the ship by 8:00 a.m., no wait for customs, got a cab, no lines at the airport and were sitting at our gate by 9:15 a.m. One couple who did the HAL transfers didn't make it to the gate until 10:45 because they took so long with the buses. There was one other ship disembarking with us on that Saturday. I think luggage direct is the best way to go if your airline participates.

It is 20 minutes on the Canada Line from the Waterfront Station to the Vancouver airport. That is probably the fastest way to get to the airport with no traffic jams. Add at least another 15 minutes to walk your luggage from the port to the Waterfront station.

I don't know how long a cab would take you to get to the airport, but the CanadaLine times would be the most basic amount of time to start working with to connect you between the ship and the airport to see if you are comfortable with your schedule. It is another 5-10 minute walk from the Canada Line to the check-in desk at the airport.

So that would be about an hour to get to the airport from the dock. But with the CanadaLine you know you would not get stuck in traffic somewhere.

We did luggage direct on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago. We were flying Continental to Houston. There was a little confusion on the ship about luggage direct because they had just started it with the Alaskan sailing. We were off of the ship by 8:00 a.m., no wait for customs, got a cab, no lines at the airport and were sitting at our gate by 9:15 a.m. One couple who did the HAL transfers didn't make it to the gate until 10:45 because they took so long with the buses. There was one other ship disembarking with us on that Saturday. I think luggage direct is the best way to go if your airline participates.

Canadians can't participate in the luggage direct unless something has changed lately. I wish we could.

Anything is possible, but traffic can be a problem unless as OP's have said you take Skytrain and even then the lineups at both airline check in desks and security can be brutal. Then again you might get lucky, but if it was me I'd be looking for a later flight.

Anything is possible, but traffic can be a problem unless as OP's have said you take Skytrain and even then the lineups at both airline check in desks and security can be brutal. Then again you might get lucky, but if it was me I'd be looking for a later flight.

Nit-picky, but the "Skytrain" is the name of another transit line in Vancouver and it does not go to the airport. The Skytrain however does have a stop near CanadaPlace cruise ship terminal, which could cause confusion if the OP were looking at this.

Only the Canada Line goes to the airport, which has a final stop relatively near the CanadaPlace cruise terminal.

Thanks to all. Have been to Vancouver many, many times for work but never for a cruise. Was booking with Aeroplan points so needed to act quickly and long time in advance to spend the least amount of points. We have finally settled on a 1 pm departure.

Thanks again!

Thanks to all. Have been to Vancouver many, many times for work but never for a cruise. Was booking with Aeroplan points so needed to act quickly and long time in advance to spend the least amount of points. We have finally settled on a 1 pm departure.

Thanks again!

You will never regret it.

Congrats too on booking with aeroplan miles. I have never been able to do it without flying business class with some pretty exotic routes.:eek:

Bon voyage and smooth sailing to you...

Play it safe. We've taken a few Alaskan cruises and I will guarantee that you will not be on THAT plane when it heads home. Anything after 1PM is my suggestion.

Anyways...what's your hurry ? You're leaving Canada's most beautiful city for....Ottawa.:D

Archived