Traveling solo without paying penalty

ActiveTraveler

Well, I see your point. Booking two people in a cabin meets the booking requirements. Now if one of the person fails to embark for whatever reason what's the cruise line to do? They could reprice the cabin at a single occupancy based on full tariff and make you pay any fare difference at the pier or denied boarding with 100% penalty.

I agree that I am not an "expert" (as I don't have several cruises under my belt as some on here) ... but I don't get it :confused:

If he pays for 2 people (payment would have been paid before the cruise) I assume all taxes, port charges etc. etc. have already been paid up for 2 people.

If only 1 person boards what would be the "fare difference"?

Am I looking at this all wrong? I thought it was like a non-refundable airline ticket. If you paid and don't show up (too bad for you)

Back in 2006 DH couldn't go on a long planned transatlantic cruise for unexpected health reasons, so I went solo. Because of the senior and residency discounts we'd gotten (yes, we got both) it was cheaper for him to be a no show than for me to rebook as a solo. Wouldn't have worked, though, without those discounts.

There's too much angst about the single supplement. The % is often irrelevant. First of all, most cruise lines offer Inside and oceanviews at something less than 200%, sometime even less than 150%.

In the end, all that really matters is the bottom line fare. I've booked higher category cabins for identical itineraries and dates for less with Princess's nearly 200%, than HAL's asking rate of 165%. Princess also gives double cruise credits to solos. You can see from my signature I'm not an advocate for Princess, just using them as an example.

There's no point kvetching about sgl supps and how to "beat" them. The sgl supp is inevitable. The cruise line depends on passenger loading for revenue. Many passengers spend more than double their cruise fare. They depend on every blessed one of us to make their profit. Shop around for the best price for you, then enjoy the trip.:)

Archived