Traveling solo without paying penalty

ActiveTraveler

Here is an idea I had to avoid the ridiculous penalty for sailing solo: Include my mom in the list of passengers for a sailing she does not plan to embark. She would essentially, the way I see it, be a no-show. I was thinking that would trick the cruise line's ticketers into thinking there will be two people in the cabin at the time I book my cruise. Would it work? Are there any consequences of doing this?

I dont see how that would save you money since you would still have to pay for your mom, even thought she would be a ''no show''. What your essentially doing when paying the single occupancy penalty is just covering what they lose on the double occupancy.

I booked a cabin on the Liberty this winter and there is only an $80.00 difference on the room price by me traveling alone or if some one goes with me.

I agree with the previous poster. The cruiseline wants their money for

2 people. They don't care how they get it....how is what you are doing

going to save you the money?:confused:.....total due is usually 70 days

prior to sail date.

No, it would not work. They know if there is a balance due on

the cabin. If you get to the pier and they see money is owed?

Either payment at check in or you won't be able to board the ship.

Nope, won't work. If full payment isn't made by the final payment date the person that did not pay in full will be dropped at the time and you will be charged the single suppliment as a single occupant of the cabin. There is no way around it, so either find someone willing to cruise with you and pay their share or book as a single and pay the single suppliment.

I noticed they have single rates that aren't too bad on some cruises but they're not great rooms. Aren't there groups where you can get a partner to pair with for cruises? I guess that would be uncomfortable if you got someone really incompatible to share a room with.

I noticed they have single rates that aren't too bad on some cruises but they're not great rooms. Aren't there groups where you can get a partner to pair with for cruises? I guess that would be uncomfortable if you got someone really incompatible to share a room with.

Maybe sharing a room for some is not a bad thing..but I have lived

on my own for more than 25 years now..so I don't even share a clicker

in my own home;).....no way would I share a cabin with someone

I have never met:eek:...I value my own space too much to even share

with someone I do know~no way would I share with a stranger.

I so agree with you. I tried sharing a cabin over Christmas with someone I met on a cruise and it was not a good experience. I would rather cruise a little less and have the privacy and comfort of my own cabin. :) It is so easy to get into the habit of doing what you want to do and when you want to do it.

I so agree with you. I tried sharing a cabin over Christmas with someone I met on a cruise and it was not a good experience. I would rather cruise a little less and have the privacy and comfort of my own cabin. :) It is so easy to get into the habit of doing what you want to do and when you want to do it.

Hi:) see the list of cruises in my signature? I shared a cabin 2.5 times.

2 were regular cruises and the other was a special 2 night sailing.

Now, the gf I shared with on that special sailing? She is probably the

only person I would ever even consider sharing with again but overall,

I just value my own space too much to give it up:D.

The other 2 cruises? I knew the gals and its not like we fought or

anything like that....I just want my own cabin and I don't look for

anyone to share with.....

Hi:) see the list of cruises in my signature? I shared a cabin 2.5 times.

2 were regular cruises and the other was a special 2 night sailing.

Now, the gf I shared with on that special sailing? She is probably the

only person I would ever even consider sharing with again but overall,

I just value my own space too much to give it up:D.

The other 2 cruises? I knew the gals and its not like we fought or

anything like that....I just want my own cabin and I don't look for

anyone to share with.....

Maybe one day I will find a friend that I might want to cruise with. Now, I am working on getting comfortable with myself and making myself happy.:)

Maybe one day I will find a friend that I might want to cruise with. Now, I am working on getting comfortable with myself and making myself happy.:)

Good for you:) making myself happy too.....booked a cruise tonite:D

I shared a cruise ONCE with 3 of my friends. Cruise from hell! Need I say more? I like my privacy too much.

I love my friends and I love spending time with them, but I am used to living alone and the novelty of all the together time can wear thin by the end of the cruise. I do enjoy having a cabin to myself. If a friend wanted to go on a cruise with me, I wouldn't say no. The ones who I would spend a vacation with are dear to me and I'd never miss the chance. Ideally it would be great if we could have our own cabins, but that's not always possible. Fortunately, most of my friends are pretty independent and we know we all need our own time. That said, I find I'm planning more and more solo trips because I enjoy it so much. I'm glad I gave it a try.

Did anyone mention the tax? I didn't see it ...

As a single even if you have to pay 200% you only pay tax for one ... pay as a "double" and you pay double tax.

Also, as others have stated, even if your Mom is a "no show" you will still have to pay. Final payment is due months before cruise. You lose your money if you cancel after final payment and there may be a penelty if you cancel before final payment is due.

No offense, but it must have been late at night when you thought up this plan ;)

• 1 month later...

Along the lines of the original poster.. I'm looking at a RCI cruise where the only cheap cabins left are double occupancy cabins. The cheapest cabin available for singles are the next bracket up and $1000 more expensive. If I book a 2 person cabin, pay it in full for both people, and then my "travel companion" doesn't make the cruise, will they penalize me with some kind of charge in addition to the double fare I paid?

Along the lines of the original poster.. I'm looking at a RCI cruise where the only cheap cabins left are double occupancy cabins. The cheapest cabin available for singles are the next bracket up and $1000 more expensive. If I book a 2 person cabin, pay it in full for both people, and then my "travel companion" doesn't make the cruise, will they penalize me with some kind of charge in addition to the double fare I paid?

No. Why would they do that? That doesn't even make sense.

They want 2 people in a cabin. If you are only 1 paying person they charge you extra ... if you are 2 paying people you get charged as 2

After you pay for 2 people and 1 is a no show they can't turn around and charge you for 3 people. :eek:

I am confused by your question. Do you really have an extra person who may or may not show up? If you don't, pay as a single. Even if they charge you double (sometimes it is less) it is still cheaper because you only pay the taxes for 1.

Just pay the solo rate it's most likely cheaper. You need to consider in addition to paying 2 fares you're also going to pay double the port charges, double the taxes and double the prepaid tips. Booking solo even with the single supplement you'll probably come out cheaper.

xxoocruiser[/left];25684329]Just pay the solo rate it's most likely cheaper. You need to consider in addition to paying 2 fares you're also going to pay double the port charges, double the taxes and double the prepaid tips. Booking solo even with the single supplement you'll probably come out cheaper.

Isn't that what I said? ;)

enorton82[/left];25674141]Along the lines of the original poster.. I'm looking at a RCI cruise where the only cheap cabins left are double occupancy cabins. The cheapest cabin available for singles are the next bracket up and $1000 more expensive. If I book a 2 person cabin, pay it in full for both people, and then my "travel companion" doesn't make the cruise, will they penalize me with some kind of charge in addition to the double fare I paid?

I read your question again and i am still confused. You make it seem like there are only certain cabins you can book if you are a single.

That is not the case. You can book a suite if you want to. You can have any cabin you want. ... But as mentioned (several times) the price is based on 2 people in a room.

On some sailings you have to pay the base price twice ... but you never have to pay taxes and other fees (port charges etc.) twice. That is why we said it ends up being cheaper just to pay as a single.

Everyone gets confused by this but really, in this case, it IS cheaper for two people rather than one. It's a Last Minute Special Discount for double occupancy. The theory is that by giving the discount to two people they will recoup costs on things such as alcohol charge for two, land excursions for two, spa treatments for two.. ect ect.. So they aren't offering the last minute discount fare for singles only doubles. So EVEN taking into account taxes, tips, and fees its cheaper to travel as two people no extras than one person no extras cause you qualify for the special offer. To me this makes absolutely NO SENSE, and I told as much to my travel agent but she's like "yah they offer the discount to couples cause they think they will make-up the money from extras for two people". Well it seems ridiculously biased to me that as a single person I should have to pay $1000 extra (including taxes, tips, ect) than two people on the same cruise. So I want to know if I book for two but only one person shows will they call me out on violating their "Special Deal" with a single occupant.

Everyone gets confused by this but really, in this case, it IS cheaper for two people rather than one. It's a Last Minute Special Discount for double occupancy. The theory is that by giving the discount to two people they will recoup costs on things such as alcohol charge for two, land excursions for two, spa treatments for two.. ect ect.. So they aren't offering the last minute discount fare for singles only doubles. So EVEN taking into account taxes, tips, and fees its cheaper to travel as two people no extras than one person no extras cause you qualify for the special offer. To me this makes absolutely NO SENSE, and I told as much to my travel agent but she's like "yah they offer the discount to couples cause they think they will make-up the money from extras for two people". Well it seems ridiculously biased to me that as a single person I should have to pay $1000 extra (including taxes, tips, ect) than two people on the same cruise. So I want to know if I book for two but only one person shows will they call me out on violating their "Special Deal" with a single occupant.

OHHH, I get it now. Maybe you should have stated all that first ;)

If there is a "no show" I really don't think they can do anything about it.

Did you read anything in small print for this special offer. Unless they specifically say they will charge a fee for a no show then legally they can't do anything.

The special price would just be doubled as though it's two, but taxed for just one, so really in the end being cheaper? Or am I missing something? That's how the recent solo cruise I booked was charged.

On the solo cruise I booked, the agent placed me in a room that could sleep 4 people, so as far as blocking off certain rooms for a solo, perhaps it just depends on the ship and how bookings are going at the time?

Well, I see your point. Booking two people in a cabin meets the booking requirements. Now if one of the person fails to embark for whatever reason what's the cruise line to do? They could reprice the cabin at a single occupancy based on full tariff and make you pay any fare difference at the pier or denied boarding with 100% penalty. I highly doubt they would do either, but they could. I would assume if many people starting doing this the cruise lines would catch on to this and either discontinue these types of discounts or in fact reprice your cabin at embarkation. I wonder if anyone ever done this and gotten away with it?

Archived