I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

I am finding it hard to leave work early enough to explore the countryside around here, So I spend evenings taking out my frustrations by hacking on innocent pieces of wood. Here's another blend of hobbies where I got out and used my camera for photos of the K-Cup cabinet I just finished. The idea came from the small stack of Amazon bulk boxes standing in the corner with one end open for access. I decided, "Cardboard bad...Oak good!" Not looking for anything in particular, we found the coffee cup drawer pulls online to add that last little touch.

p551060927-4.jpg

p978401280-2.jpgp925333519-2.jpgp566728086-2.jpg

Happy Shooting!

Dave

I am finding it hard to leave work early enough to explore the countryside around here, So I spend evenings taking out my frustrations by hacking on innocent pieces of wood. Here's another blend of hobbies where I got out and used my camera for photos of the K-Cup cabinet I just finished. The idea came from the small stack of Amazon bulk boxes standing in the corner with one end open for access. I decided, "Cardboard bad...Oak good!" Not looking for anything in particular, we found the coffee cup drawer pulls online to add that last little touch.

p551060927-4.jpg

p978401280-2.jpgp925333519-2.jpgp566728086-2.jpg

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Nice "hacking". Did you do all the designing yourself?

Nice "hacking". Did you do all the designing yourself?

The design really was based on the Amazon "frustration-free" boxes that the K-cups ship in (the bins are the same volume). The rest of it, including the space for accessories on top, was just dreamed up as I went along.

Very nice, Dave. I wish I could hack wood like that.

Larry

Woodworking is, in some ways, like photography. You can get great results with simple equipment and some patience but adding technology makes it easier and faster. I can't afford and don't have room for all the really cool technology...so I am finally learning patience! :D

Thanks for the nice words!

Dave

I too have had a hard time getting out to shoot, but this afternoon I went on a photowalk with nothing but my T1i, EF 100mm Macro F 2.8 IS and Vanguard Tripod (the one that has that crazy center tilt column that was just made for macro work).

I almost didn't get IS on a Macro, but after going handheld to chase bees, I am glad for that option.

6206029608_be2c9c9f9e_b.jpg

Leyland Cypress 2795 by Houser Photography, on Flickr

6204319851_ed58ce4140_b.jpg

Team Work 2792 by Houser Photography, on Flickr

6204315903_e7cbe454d5_b.jpg

Missing Petal 2790 by Houser Photography, on Flickr

6204317991_0921cefdff_b.jpg

Welcome to Dinner 2791 by Houser Photography, on Flickr

Got to love a Macro, you can always find something to shoot!

I too have had a hard time getting out to shoot, but this afternoon I went on a photowalk with nothing but my T1i, EF 100mm Macro F 2.8 IS and Vanguard Tripod (the one that has that crazy center tilt column that was just made for macro work).

I almost didn't get IS on a Macro, but after going handheld to chase bees, I am glad for that option.

Got to love a Macro, you can always find something to shoot!

Fantastic series!

Edited by mnbruce

The design really was based on the Amazon "frustration-free" boxes that the K-cups ship in (the bins are the same volume). The rest of it, including the space for accessories on top, was just dreamed up as I went along. Thanks for the nice words!

Dave

Love the projects dreamed up as you go with the materials you have on hand. Once built a 6 by 7 storage shed from scrap since I had an 8 by 12 and an 8 by 14 as the prize finds dumpster diving.

Did you make it a stackable set of bins or is it all one piece? Reminds me of the stacking glass fronted lawyer bookshelves of old. Pretty piece, shown off with good detail photography. Thanks for sharing!

Love the projects dreamed up as you go with the materials you have on hand. Once built a 6 by 7 storage shed from scrap since I had an 8 by 12 and an 8 by 14 as the prize finds dumpster diving.

Did you make it a stackable set of bins or is it all one piece? Reminds me of the stacking glass fronted lawyer bookshelves of old. Pretty piece, shown off with good detail photography. Thanks for sharing!

It is all one piece. Since the bins pivot out pretty far on wooden dowels, a stackable design would have had stability issues unless they were attached with screws or something. Besides, 3 wasn't enough and 5 would have been too tall!

Glad you liked it!

Dave

Well the new A580 has officially replaced the A550 - I've had my first week of test shots, and got the JPGs tuned up, tried out the high ISO...I must admit that the already excellent A550 has indeed been improved upon - the sensor is noticeably better at the higher ISOs, and processing better in the mid-ISOs, the focus speed is up a notch, the body is tighter, the controls are improved, and I'm happy!

For those of you who have the Sony 16MP sensor, or were considering one (Pentax K5, Nikon D5100, Nikon D7000, Sony A55, Sony NEX-5N), I strongly recommend it! Quite a lovely sensor they've developed here, and very stable and capable at high ISO, even straight from the JPGs (RAW will go even further, as the noise profile of this sensor is excellent - very low chroma, no blotchiness, fine-grained lumi noise).

Some of my first test shot samples with the new camera - I only had some nighttime around my house, one very overcast day shooting birds, and one afternoon this weekend in my yard.

ISO6400 handheld, 11pm at night in my backyard:

original.jpg

ISO1600 in overcast and shadow light:

original.jpg

ISO6400 handheld:

original.jpg

ISO1600, super shallow DOF:

original.jpg

ISO500, overcast:

original.jpg

These were all shot as JPGs, straight from the camera, no post processing. Now, can't wait to get on my 2-week vacation starting this weekend! And to have much more time to shoot with the camera, which I won't for the rest of this week.

Well the new A580 has officially replaced the A550 - I've had my first week of test shots, and got the JPGs tuned up, tried out the high ISO...I must admit that the already excellent A550 has indeed been improved upon - the sensor is noticeably better at the higher ISOs, and processing better in the mid-ISOs, the focus speed is up a notch, the body is tighter, the controls are improved, and I'm happy!

Great shots!

I too have had a hard time getting out to shoot, but this afternoon I went on a photowalk with nothing but my T1i, EF 100mm Macro F 2.8 IS and Vanguard Tripod ...

What a great idea! Next weekend will definitely have a photo outing in it!

Nice stuff Zack!

Well the new A580 has officially replaced the A550...

I doubt it will have a lot of impact on your photos....you seem to do just fine with whatever you shoot with. :D

Enjoy the new camera Justin!

Dave