Sorry...help with suite info....

kymbakitty

There are some fabulous links on this board for the different ships/suites. Someone did an AMAZING job putting together an incredible source of information.

My inquiry might be a little more generic though...and I was hoping to get some help. I am so very sorry (let me apologize in advance) if this information is peppered throughout the site....but I really am in a time crunch.

We are looking at a really good price for the Med Farewell cruise on 10/18 for 16 nights.

The highest category of cabins left are SS/SY. While I had thought (for sure) that hubby wanted AFT, I was sadly mistaken because apparently, when we go this direction, he wants FORWARD (something to do with the sun--I have no clue as I am geographically challenged).

So, he also wants to be on the Starboard side.

So....are there any areas that I should stay away from for a.m. or p.m. noise (you know, those cabins that may be under the wonderful deck chairs being moved around at 5:00 a.m or under the disco club that goes until 2:00 a.m.).

We have a HC cabin booked but I think I need to let it fall back into the inventory because I have learned that the balcony is the same size as the VA cabins (5001).

A nice size veranda is REALLY important to hubby....he LIVES out there.

Thank you all so much for replying so quickly....I wish I had more time to do research but I simply don't--not this time.

This will be our 3rd Transatlantic Cruise...which we just love because of all the sea days! And I wish we could book a suite but they are all taken. SY or SS is the highest we can go...

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated....even if just to say, "we stayed in Starboard SS #____ and it was great...no noise." Anything....

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

Which ship?

Vista or Signature Class?

The answer probably will be the same (don't know) but I'm curious which ship. :0

I'm so sorry....I really don't like doing things rushed like this. Thank you for your patience.

Noordam.

:)

We've taken SY cabins on Noordam on the 6th deck, starboard side (which will be the shady side coming west from the Med to Ft. Lauderdale, so I get that, but I'm not sure what difference being in a forward instead of aft or midships cabin would make with the sun). We were in SY6099 on the equivalent cruise in 2008, and it was a great, quiet room with the large SY balcony. We've also been as far forward as SY 6065, which also is the same size cabin and balcony as 6099, and also quiet. The sixth deck has only cabins above or below, so no disco, scraping chairs or similar issues there.

We were also in a VE on Noordam for one cruise, and that cabin has one of the smallest balconies. If you can afford the SY, I think you would appreciate the extra room both inside the cabin and on the balcony. Joanie's site may have pictures of the Noordam SY's.

Dave

If you want sun, you need to be on the port side, not the starboard. (you are doing a transatlantic?)

SS is nice and so is SY I think the key thing is the location for you. Transatlanic I prefer to be more mid ship in case things get rough, but there is no escaping that if it happens. The higher the category you book, the more the chance you will be offered an upsell if a Deluxe Verandah becomes available (if that is what you want). Also, make sure they know you are willing to look at upsells.

So you have to choose between lay out and location. But if you like the sun, I would definitely do port side. hope this helps a bit.

We've taken SY cabins on Noordam on the 6th deck, starboard side (which will be the shady side coming west from the Med to Ft. Lauderdale, so I get that, but I'm not sure what difference being in a forward instead of aft or midships cabin would make with the sun). We were in SY6099 on the equivalent cruise in 2008, and it was a great, quiet room with the large SY balcony. We've also been as far forward as SY 6065, which also is the same size cabin and balcony as 6099, and also quiet. The sixth deck has only cabins above or below, so no disco, scraping chairs or similar issues there.

We were also in a VE on Noordam for one cruise, and that cabin has one of the smallest balconies. If you can afford the SY, I think you would appreciate the extra room both inside the cabin and on the balcony. Joanie's site may have pictures of the Noordam SY's.

Dave

I don't know....my husband just said there won't be any sun at the very tail end of the ship....when I say "aft," I literally mean the back of the ship....not toward the end of the back on either side....but the VERY end looking over the wake....according to him, there won't be any sun back there.

Still, no clue and I try to stay out of the sun as much as I can so that part doesn't really matter to me....(grin).

Thanks....

... when I say "aft," I literally mean the back of the ship....not toward the end of the back on either side....but the VERY end looking over the wake....
That's called the stern. Aft is a direction, stern is a place. :)

I notice you said you had a HC cabin booked.

Are you looking for another HC cabin? Is that a requirement?

Not a requirement at all. In fact, not crazy about the set up. I've read plenty of others that love that cabin (some need it; others do not), but I am getting ready to let it fall back into the inventory because the balcony is just the size of a V balcony.

If it had a wrap around balcony--sure....but a balcony smaller than the cabins in the same category--no thanks.

I would think that traveling west would give stern cabins the morning sun and shade in the afternoon and the view of the sunrise behind the ship would be magnificent. Breakfast on the balcony anyone?

I have no idea...this is what he wants and it doesn't matter to me so this is a very easy area for me to compromise.

He is not an "early" bird...that is FOR SURE. Perhaps that has something to do with it....

Dawn

We did the eastbound TA on the Noordam this May. We had an SY cabin (SY6068) on port side. We found it quite large enough for the 2 of us. We re-arranged the furniture slightly so we did not have 2 chairs at the foot of the bed.

Here is a link to ship photos. You will see cabin photos amongst these (Balcony on pages 1 & 2, Cabin on pages 8 & 9)

http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/CarolandBob_photos/Noordam%20ship/

There is also a current thread with photos of an SY on the Zuiderdam which is identical to ours on the Noordam

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1225078

What other posters say is correct, for a westbound you will want port side if you want the sun.

;) Let HIM make the reservation.

Nope....I have the best traveller partner in the entire world.

We had no idea nearly 20 years ago when we met and married that we would end up traveling like we do. We both knew we didn't want kids, but had no idea how traveling would become such an amazing adventure. We've been on 11 cruises (mostly 14 dayers), land vacations to Budapest, Amsterdam, Australia, Ireland, London, Rome, Mexico (more timees than I can count), Hawaii (same), Barbados, and I've had the most fabulous traveller partner in the world (my husband!).

He asks for very little....I'm the "planner" in the house as I don't think it would work as well if we were both "planners."

He will do ANYTHING (activity wise). He will scuba, take those crazy airplane flights with the tiny engine and the pilot that has "450" hours (I won't even do that), zipline, hike, walk up to the top of chitzenita, walk up to the top of Sagrada in Barcelona--there is nothing he won't do and can't do and he never complains about anything!!!! It doesn't get much better than this, let me tell you. He's game for anything.

If his only request is where to be on ship (which side, bow or stern and a large baclony), I think I've hit the lotto!!!!!!!

Not a requirement at all. In fact, not crazy about the set up. I've read plenty of others that love that cabin (some need it; others do not), but I am getting ready to let it fall back into the inventory because the balcony is just the size of a V balcony.

If it had a wrap around balcony--sure....but a balcony smaller than the cabins in the same category--no thanks.

Well, then since you do not need a HC cabin, why did you book one?

Do you know there are only two dozen or so HC cabins on the ship? Compared to hundreds and hundreds for able-bodied pax.

And then do the math -- those few HC cabins are divided across most of the categories. So maybe there are two in SY, none in SS ... maybe four in VA ...

That means you are taking the HC away from a person who needs it.

You are removing it from the inventory.

Able-bodied pax should not book HC cabins.

Those cabins, if not booked by the final payment period, will be released to the general public, which is fine.

But this far out from your sailing, they should remain in the inventory for the people who need them.

Dawn, you should let it "fall back into inventory" simply because you don't need it, not because you don't like the set up. HAL should take responsibility for this, but since they choose not to it's been discussed frequently here on CC that it's a big no-no. There are few enough HC cabins as it is. Until last minute, these cabins should be left for those who need them.

I think the SY category midships on Deck 6 is the absolute best; no worries about scraping chairs from above because it's all well behaved suites up there. It won't work if you want the extras like Neptune, laundry included and the possibility of PG breakfast, but they are just a fabulous layout and a perfect size for a TA cruise.

I understand you're concentrating on the location of the sun, but remember the sun might not even be in the sky:o ... no guarantees! On a TA, location could be far more important. I wouldn't particularly want to be too far forward or aft just in case.

Whatever you choose, it should be amazing. Have a wonderful time:).

Well, then since you do not need a HC cabin, why did you book one?

Do you know there are only two dozen or so HC cabins on the ship? Compared to hundreds and hundreds for able-bodied pax.

And then do the math -- those few HC cabins are divided across most of the categories. So maybe there are two in SY, none in SS ... maybe four in VA ...

That means you are taking the HC away from a person who needs it.

You are removing it from the inventory.

Able-bodied pax should not book HC cabins.

Those cabins, if not booked by the final payment period, will be released to the general public, which is fine.

But this far out from your sailing, they should remain in the inventory for the people who need them.

I agree.

A few years ago, when I checked into a hotel, they gaveme a HC room. I didn't know this until I got to the room. I immediately called the front desk to let them know what had happened--I was afraid it was a mistake. I'd hate to be taking up a HC room if there was someone who needed it. But they said they had plenty in inventory, and didn't expect to need mine.

Archived