The Way We Were: Was it better then?

Shelli

The threads on dressing for Elegant Night made me recall my first cruise... and the way it was. It was 1987, and my ex-husband and I sailed on the late, great NCL SS Norway. Considered the largest ship afloat in those days, it held about 2,000 passengers... and that was HUGE!

The first night was billed as "come as you are," just in case not everyone had received their luggage. But we had late seating, so just about everyone did. Still, we dressed casually. My ex was ready before I was (surprise! LOL), so he left the room to check things out. He came back in a bit of a panic. "Hon," he said, "you gotta change! We both gotta change! Everybody else is dressed up!" That wasn't much of a problem, since I'd packed newly purchased dresses for each night-- so I put one on, and off we went. Sure enough-- everybody was dressed up pretty darn much.

Formal night was a sight to behold: I never saw such dressed-up elegance, before or since! It really was something.

And the rules! Passengers were instructed not to wear shorts, etc. in public areas after 6:00 p.m.! Can you imagine? There was no buffet, no alternative dining. You got dressed up; you went to the dining room.

Personally, I loved it, and I was sorry to see that part of cruising go. But then again, cruises were MUCH more expensive, all things considered, than they are now. Our first cruise, for an inside cabin, was $1,100 per person. We all know what you can get for that sort of money today!

So what do you think? When was your first cruise? And was it all so much better then? (And do you all recognize the lyrics to "The Way We Were"?)

The threads on dressing for Elegant Night made me recall my first cruise... and the way it was. It was 1987, and my ex-husband and I sailed on the late, great NCL SS Norway. Considered the largest ship afloat in those days, it held about 2,000 passengers... and that was HUGE!

The first night was billed as "come as you are," just in case not everyone had received their luggage. But we had late seating, so just about everyone did. Still, we dressed casually. My ex was ready before I was (surprise! LOL), so he left the room to check things out. He came back in a bit of a panic. "Hon," he said, "you gotta change! We both gotta change! Everybody else is dressed up!" That wasn't much of a problem, since I'd packed newly purchased dresses for each night-- so I put one on, and off we went. Sure enough-- everybody was dressed up pretty darn much.

Formal night was a sight to behold: I never saw such dressed-up elegance, before or since! It really was something.

And the rules! Passengers were instructed not to wear shorts, etc. in public areas after 6:00 p.m.! Can you imagine? There was no buffet, no alternative dining. You got dressed up; you went to the dining room.

Personally, I loved it, and I was sorry to see that part of cruising go. But then again, cruises were MUCH more expensive, all things considered, than they are now. Our first cruise, for an inside cabin, was $1,100 per person. We all know what you can get for that sort of money today!

So what do you think? When was your first cruise? And was it all so much better then? (And do you all recognize the lyrics to "The Way We Were"?)

Do you mean better then because people dressed up? Just asking since that seems to be the emphasis above.

My 1st cruise was on CCL almost 30 years ago and it was not as elegant as you are describing on another cruiseline.

I too have done the SS Norway and I am glad they scrapped that ship.If I wanted to walk around pretending I am it I would cruise on a line that is geared toward that.CCL is the Walmart:) of the seas cruiseline and they offer a great product to the masses at an affordable price.If you want Bloomingdales, then don't choose CCL.

Steve

What I never understand with people complaining about what others wear is why they really care? Nobody is stopping anybody from dressing up. I for one would be embarrassed to go into the MDR dressed in shorts and t-shirts, but I have to say the way that others dress really has no effect on my dining experience...

From my point of view in having read these boards for a few years now is that the people who don't dress formally much in their "real life" seem to be the ones who get real excited about dressing up on cruises. For them, it is fun, special and different.

Then there are people who don't care either way. They have formal wear and it doesn't bother them to wear it on vacation.

There are people (like me) who go to loads of formal events, give away formal clothes every year to charity, own tuxedos and who DO NOT enjoy dressing up on cruises because it isn't special and it is, in fact, pointless.

And then there are people who have no need to dress formally and don't care to anyway. Why spend money on clothing you aren't going to wear otherwise? Plus, it's a vacation and formal wear isn't for vacations.

It seems the last three groups don't care about what the first group wears, but that first group seem to emphasize their point of view that everyone should think it is special.

I like having the same table in the DR for all three meals.

Food is better with more variety now.

Entertainment is more varied and more to do in the evening..

Pricing is better.

Overall think cruising is better now.

From my point of view in having read these boards for a few years now is that the people who don't dress formally much in their "real life" seem to be the ones who get real excited about dressing up on cruises. For them, it is fun, special and different.

Then there are people who don't care either way. They have formal wear and it doesn't bother them to wear it on vacation.

There are people (like me) who go to loads of formal events, give away formal clothes every year to charity, own tuxedos and who DO NOT enjoy dressing up on cruises because it isn't special and it is, in fact, pointless.

And then there are people who have no need to dress formally and don't care to anyway. Why spend money on clothing you aren't going to wear otherwise? Plus, it's a vacation and formal wear isn't for vacations.

It seems the last three groups don't care about what the first group wears, but that first group seem to emphasize their point of view that everyone should think it is special.

I think you've captured PERFECTLY the essence or demographic of the "formal/elegant" battle. In the past I went to many formal events (even they were a bit of a sham) only to accompany my wife on different social or charitable events.

I've always thought the "dress up" idea was for those that wanted pics to later be distributed throughout their homes for their friends and neighbors (look how cool I am).:rolleyes: Ironically, so many of the pics are taken in front of a "painted" background. On a beautiful cruise ship with the sea as possible background this just amazes me. :eek:

Love the music/lyrics to "The Way We Were" . . . also loved the Norway. My former husband and I cruised on her in 1984. Back then . . . actually up until about two years ago, it was so much fun dressing up for formals nights. Now, I like just dressing casual and don't even go to the MDR on formal nights.

I think you've captured PERFECTLY the essence or demographic of the "formal/elegant" battle. In the past I went to many formal events (even they were a bit of a sham) only to accompany my wife on different social or charitable events.

Yeah, I mean you haven't lived until you have paid $800.00 for a table to a formal charity event where you are then pimped by an MC to pony up another $2,000 for some special prize/event/tickets/furniture you don't need. But it is all for a good cause.

I always bid for the first or second item, no matter what it is. You get off MUCH cheaper with that strategy.

Dressing formally gets OLD quickly. So you can see how people who do it often really don't prefer to on vacation.

Our first cruise was in 2003, we missed the whole dress for dinner era. I think that would have been a fun time to cruise. I think they still do that on Cunnard.

I wouldn't want to have to dress for dinner every night but I do like dressing up on elegant night. I don't mind casual attire, I just think some people don't understand that casual attire is not what you wear to the pool. ;)

Now if you could add pointed spikes to those heels you are using to grind the OP into the ground with, all would be complete.

So, it has become cool to bash anyone and everyone that thinks a tux or even a coat and tie are frivilious on a ship. So I ask those a question;

What should the minimum be? Maybe a tee shirt that graphically shows reporduction so your kid and see it? Maybe a tee shirt extolling the virtures of drung use/

Probably not, but since choose to bash one end of the spectrum, please deliniate the other end of the spectrum...what is your minimum standard?

As I recall those days, Shelli, there was an "elegance" of the mind also. No one cut lines, went on a political tirade at the dining table, or used "its my vacation, I'll do what I want" to excuse incredibly bad behavior.

You're right about the cost as my ex and I went on the Carnival TROPICALE (our 3rd cruise) for $700 pp inside (I think) some 25 years ago. And that was a bargain (we had around 18 in our group that my wife setup). Even Carnival had a different clientele then. :rolleyes:

On a previous NCL cruise (our 2nd) we even had a tuxedo for our 6 year old son ! ! :eek:

I'll be checking back later to see if the responses continue along boy/girl lines - Ladies not at all turned off by dressing up and enjoying seeing others dress up and gentlemen sick and tired of dressing up and not enjoying "the show".

BTW, Steve, we love Carnival (and Princess and RCCL) and Bloomies. We don't care for Walmart though. The nearest one to us has a rancid popcorn smell.

Sounds like you have fond memories of you and your EX cruising together.

Give your Ex a call ;) ,you never know .

Probably not, but since choose to bash one end of the spectrum, please deliniate the other end of the spectrum...what is your minimum standard?

Since when does "no formal wear" equal drug tee shirts?

No formal wear means SIMPLY no formal wear.

Carnival gets to make the rules. They eliminated formal night 2 years ago.

We don't care what you choose to wear. If you want to wear formal wear when it isn't required, then knock yourself out. Have a great time and make your cruise everything you want it to be.

My first cruise was also on the Norway. I loved it! It was in October 1999, and while I had travelled extensively in the Caribbean before, this was my first cruise, and I had never thought of cruising before, but I was in a local shopping mall, and strolling by a travel agency saw a deal on the Norway I could not refuse, I talked my Mom into going with me and we had a blast. She had been on other cruises before, but we just loved that ship and the history associated with her. I for one was very sad to see what happened to her later. I enjoyed dressing up for dinner on the formal nights, and I absolutely loved the International lounge on the Norway. My first cruise was on the Norway, and it hooked me. My next cruise is on Carnival this year in September, but in 2011, I am hoping to go on NCL Spirit out of New Orleans.:)

I'll be checking back later to see if the responses continue along boy/girl lines - Ladies not at all turned off by dressing up and enjoying seeing others dress up and gentlemen sick and tired of dressing up and not enjoying "the show".

BTW, Steve, we love Carnival (and Princess and RCCL) and Bloomies. We don't care for Walmart though. The nearest one to us has a rancid popcorn smell.

I am a woman.

I couldn't give two diddlyflips what people wear.

BUT I do have fond memories as a child cruising the early 80s with my grandparents. The only ship I remember was the Emerald Seas, but I know we went others. I seem to remember I was the only kid on the ship. LOL I would often sit next to Nannie and play the nickle slots. Of course, the casino consisted of maybe four row of slots.

I also remember dressing was very important. My grandparents and parents dressed to the nines. Nannie often looked like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company, but it was a fun time. It definitely then was a more sophisticated vacation. We were more pampered then.

Now I look at cruising as a time to relax. Wear what you want, eat what you want, bring me a frozen concoction to help me hang on and it's all good.

I'm a woman and I don't really care for all the dressing up. I bought a dress for the cruise, but it's not "formal" by any means. I'm a SAHM and I can't afford to buy special dresses that I'll have no use for. If you want to dress up, that's great. I can't say that I enjoy seeing others dressed up, I really don't care what anyone else wears. Of course I don't think you should go to the MDR in Tshirts and shorts either.

I can't really say if things were better then or not, because I cruised so long ago that I don't remember LOL. I do know that I found the old brochure for our last trip and it was expensive! I think we paid about $3,000 for just the 2 of us, for an inside cabin, but it included "free" air. That was pretty expensive I think for being 15 years ago.

I think the original poster was just reminiscing, and enjoying the memories. It's a shame she can't do that, without it turning into another sarcastic thread about the dress code.

By why an NCL ship on a CCL board? What did the OP expect? If it was over on the NCL board it might get a whole different response.

Steve

I think the original poster was just reminiscing, and enjoying the memories. It's a shame she can't do that, without it turning into another sarcastic thread about the dress code.

well the Op did ask

So what do you think?

when ever I see that I read that the Op wants our input!

My 1st cruise was as a child on Cunard on an Atlantic crossing 40 yrs ago. That ship didn't have the stabilizers that we now have and it was rough. Dinner was formal, tuxes for the men and formal dresses for women. Country Clubs had formal dances too on a regular basis in the past. You do not see that now very often. Even at New Years you see suits and dresses but rarely tuxes and formal dresses. Our society is more casual. I like cruising today and am glad that cruising is not just a treat for the "elite."

I got that vibe too. I didn't think she was starting a thread about formal/not formal at all.

Archived