How to prevent motion sickness

gamesstate

Taking Dramamine for the whole cruise is overkill unless you are very susceptible to seasickness. And if you are, you probably already know it because you'd get car sick and air sick. It also depends on where you go and how rough the sea is. I actually am a bit prone to motion sickness and to migraines, so I normally take Bonine starting a few hours before departure. Then I'm fine. I noticed it a little bit when we sailed out of Long Beach for Mexico and the weather was a little rough. So I kept taking the Bonine into a second day.

Hi all! Im leaving in a month for my first cruise ever. I dont know if I will get dizzy however, I want to be prepared.

Any recomendations for motion sickness that you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

I like ginger because:

1) It is not a drug.

2) It is the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

3) It works even after you start to feel sick.

I took one capsule on the first morning before boarding the ship and one capsule before dinner and one capsule before breakfast. I get sea sick easily and there were several on the ship that did get sea sick and I was fine. Just make sure to take some water with each capsule.

Wow I had no idea about the Ginger. What is the dosage (meaning, number of mgs) that you took each time?

When I took my first cruise I used the patch (Transderm Scop) that you wear behind your ear. I still had minimal issues while on the cruise, especially on the day the boat was being tossed around due to very rough waters.

I will keep the ginger in mind and will more than likely get the patches again just in case.

Wow I had no idea about the Ginger. What is the dosage (meaning, number of mgs) that you took each time?

When I took my first cruise I used the patch (Transderm Scop) that you wear behind your ear. I still had minimal issues while on the cruise, especially on the day the boat was being tossed around due to very rough waters.

I will keep the ginger in mind and will more than likely get the patches again just in case.

One capsule. I'll have to check the dosage when I get home.

Check out this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24962200&posted=1#post24962200

If you don't suffer motion sickness on land, in cars, on amusement rides....you are unlikely to suffer seasickness on ships...unless it's REALLY rough...

If you're worried, take Bonine every day. You'll be ok!

My wife suffers motion sickness but has never had a problem on any of our cruises. She just brought some ginger "just in case". Of course I ended up eating all the ginger snaps, I love cookies.:)

If you are looking for ginger, go to Cost Plus World Market. They have ginger in just about any form you can imagine. Gummies, cookies, gum, hard candies, raw ginger, tea, and so on.

Dramamine can cause drowsiness, Bonine (meclizine) usually does not. Dramamine is usually every 4 hours, Bonine is every 12 hours.

If you are prone to motion sickness, request a midship cabin - there's less movement there.

The bottle I have says 550mg. There are 100 capsules. The expiration date is more than two years. The bottle cost less than $10. The directions are:

For adults, take one capsule twice daily, preferably with meals.

Under facts it says:

The active constituents in Ginger promote digestive health, as well as alleviate occasional motion sickness.

Any of the drug stores, such as Walgreens will have ginger.

If you don't suffer motion sickness on land, in cars, on amusement rides....you are unlikely to suffer seasickness on ships...unless it's REALLY rough...

If you're worried, take Bonine every day. You'll be ok!

I don't get car sick and I can ride any amusement ride......except, that ship ride.....that back and forth motion makes me sick!!

I better look into this issue!!

we start taking the Ginger 1 to 2 days before our cruise at meal time and then during the cruise with meals and more if needed for tenders or boat excursions....also drink GingerAle throughout the cruise...keep something in your stomach too, which on a cruise is 'very easy'!!!

i also have the SeaBands which i bought last cruise but didnt use--thought i would have to but didnt and this cruise i am also going to get MotionEaze (sold at Boat supply places)

..i dont like doing drugs that would be my last resort. OTC

i have done the patch...it was AWFUL:eek:

before you take any of these things and specially if you take RX drugs make sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist!

GOOD LUCK:)

My wife suffers motion sickness but has never had a problem on any of our cruises. She just brought some ginger "just in case". Of course I ended up eating all the ginger snaps, I love cookies.:)

I'm sorry but that just left me in stitches! lololol

"HEY! where did all the cookies go?"

"mmmffphhmmm I dunno." *innocent look*:D

Hands down, Bonine is the best. You can buy it at Walgreen or Walmart. Take it the night before... but remember it will knock you out. We gave some to my son before our last cruise and he slept the entire trip to the ship. We were driving this time. We gave it to him the night before.

If you cannot find Bonine, then use Benadryl. It works well too.

Site Reference:

www.*****

The bottle I have says 550mg. There are 100 capsules. The expiration date is more than two years. The bottle cost less than $10. The directions are:

For adults, take one capsule twice daily, preferably with meals.

Under facts it says:

The active constituents in Ginger promote digestive health, as well as alleviate occasional motion sickness.

Any of the drug stores, such as Walgreens will have ginger.

Thank you so much for this info! I'd prefer to do a natural cure myself too, so this is great information. I'll be sure to get some before going away on my next cruise. I saw another poster say they began taking it a few days before the cruise...so i'll make note of that as well.

Thanks everyone! These boards are definitely a wealth of knowledge!

Archived