Charleston Must See

klfrodo

Before you go, look at this map to get an idea of what you want to see. Everything on this map can be walked to. See at least one historic house in town or maybe go to one of the historic plantations not far from town. Taxis will take you to them (and pick you up) for very good rates.

http://www.charlestonmuseummile.org/Downloads.html

Lots of people will recommend going on a carriage ride tour in town, too. Have fun.

Maybe I miscommunicated the information I was requesting.

I visited the visitors bureau website. We even requested and received a copy of the Charleston Visitors Guide. The options are too many to choose.

If you told me you were coming to Seattle I could give you personal experience and recommend 2 or 3 don't miss options.

That's what I'm asking for here.

We were just there on a bus trip. The aircraft carrier "Yorktown" and a "Sub" are docked there and both open for tours. I really enjoyed them. The tours are self guided and at your own pace. The same pier also has a "Dinner Cruise". It also goes all around the carrier and right around Fort Sumpter. We also went to the South Carolina Aquarium. It's close to or in the downtown. We really enjoyed all of these. We also toured several old homes and my wife enjoyed the shopping. I hope this helps a little.

Maybe I miscommunicated the information I was requesting.

I visited the visitors bureau website. We even requested and received a copy of the Charleston Visitors Guide. The options are too many to choose.

If you told me you were coming to Seattle I could give you personal experience and recommend 2 or 3 don't miss options.

That's what I'm asking for here.

Fort Sumter is definitely a must see! Since it is operated by the state, it is a pretty cheap boat tour. $10-$15 per person.

Take a carriage ride. It will give you an overview of the city.

Walk, walk, walk.

EAT! Brunch at Jestine's Kitchen or Poogan's Porch! Dinner at Hanks, Peninsula Grill, SNOB, High Cotton, Rue de Jean.

Shop King Street. Antiques and unique stores.

Tour one of the homes on the Battery.

The best tour of Charleston is literally to get a guide book and walk. If it isn't too hot, walk the bridge.

Regarding Ft. Sumter

Is this run by the State? Or is this a National Historic Monument?

If National, (I have a Golden Eagle Pass for seniors and disabled vets to visit National Parks and Monuments), is the Golden Eagle Pass valid for visiting Ft. Sumter? Or, is the visit completely run by a local concessionair.

It's been a while since I've been to Charleston but the tour of the Yorktown is a must. Also enjoyed the downtown market area. Lot of history in the downtown.

Outside of Charleston I also toured some type of plantation but I don't recall the name. Basically you board some type of tram and tour the grounds where the slaves used to live and you get to see some crocks and huge willow trees as well.

Fort Sumter, as well as Fort Moultrie are National Parks.

Must see and do.

1) Walk through the Market.

2)If you are there on a day its open The Confederate Museum at the head of the Market.

3)The Battery and White Point Gardens

4)Jestine's for Southern cooking

5) Some say Hyman's for seafood, but I like the Wreck in Mt Pleasant (its off the beaten bath but frequented by the locals http://wreckrc.com/

Enjoy tour trip

We live in South Carolina and love visiting Charleston. The history of the city is amazing. Take a carriage ride. They are not that expensive and you get the history from locals, and it’s an enjoyable way to see the town.

If you enjoy seafood, I recommend Hymen's on Meeting St. It’s best to either have a late lunch or early dinner. The food is great and the atmosphere is wonderful. (Not stuffy and formal). Here is their website:

http://www.hymanseafood.com/

Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant (Just across the bridge) also has several good restaurants and you can watch local boats come and go.

Hope you enjoy our great state.

Restaurants:

One of the restaurants overlooking Shem Creek (on Mt. Pleasant) at sunset

We ate at the Water's Edge, but there are many others!

SNOB (Slightly North of Broadway): good Southern cooking with an upscale ambiance

Sightseeing:

Carriage ride (we missed out because of rain) or Ed Grimball Walking Tour (was not offered the day we were there)

I booked at the Best Western downtown. Is this close to the areas everyone is suggesting to walk around?

Look back at post #2. The web site I posted is all about info for walking around and where everything is. If your hotel is on one of the streets mentioned, then it is in the walking area.

I booked at the Best Western downtown. Is this close to the areas everyone is suggesting to walk around?

The King Charles Best Western? If so you'll love the hotel and the location. It is much much nicer than your average Best Western. The pool is awesome to sit in and people watch on Meeting Street.

It is in the middle of everything and one of the best locations downtown.

We love Charleston. Such a great place to visit. Totally agree with all the posters as far as walking. I would stay in the historic district and not venture out to Shems Creek etc. Your time is short. Fort Sumter is a good tour, boat ride adn sight seeing.

Old South carriage rides are wonderful and we've taken them probably 20 times..

For dinner's, so many fantastic places. If you want seafood, we like Hanks, need reservations. We have had the best steaks at Grill 225 in the Market Pavillion hotel. (Corner of Bay and Market) Pricey ( as are most of the restaurants). In the evening go to the roof top bar at the Market Pavillion. Romantic and panoramic view of the city and the new Ravenal bridge. You can have a bite to eat there also and they serve lunch there as well.

Other good lunch places Mistrels and also Bubba Gump which surpised us as we thought it would be touristo but it was very good.

Enjoy Charleston!

Archived