About parking in New Orleans Nov 2011

jeanarch

For those of you in NO will there be enough parking when there are 2 Carnival ships, 1 RCCL(Voyager) and 1 NCL leaving New Orleans. I know they will be leaving different days but the vehicles will still be there. Maybe we better go the day before(we usually drive in that morning) and leave the vehicle at the hotel. Does anyone know if they are expanding the parking. We have had to park on the top deck with just the Triumph there. Just wondering if there is any info out there.

I have wondered about this as well...since the Julia Terminal (the old one) did not have a parking garage...you used to park on the lot where the Erato terminal is now.

Hopefully, they will redo the Julia Terminal and add a parking garage on top like the Erato Terminal is....

The Port of New Orleans has agreements with the following private lots along Convention Center Blvd. that will charge cruise passengers the Port's rate:

Fulton Street Garage

Convention Center Blvd. and North Diamond St. - covered parking, pay on departure - must show cruise ticket upon entering - shuttle bus back to terminal

"Whale" Lot

Convention Center Blvd. and Julia St. - outside lot, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - adjacent to Terminal 2 and two blocks from Terminal 1

Hilton Hotel Lot

Convention Center Blvd., adjacent to Whale Lot - covered parking, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - one black from Terminal 2 and three blocks from Terminal 1

WTC Lot

Poydras St. adjacent to Hilton Hotel - covered parking, pay on departure - must show proof of cruise and give baggage tag - three blocks from Terminal 2 and four blocks from Terminal 1

PK1 Lot

Convention Center Blvd. past Calliope St., outside parking, pay on departure - six blocks from Terminal 2 and five blocks from Terminal 1

The Hilton is quite expensive and then you have to take a taxi to the port. Just a thought..I am sure it will all work out. It has certainly been nice just to park in the garage.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Drury is fantastic and allows you to park free during your cruise. For a cheaper alternative, Holiday Inn Superdome, also has free cruise parking. Not as nice as Drury (which we love), but the price is right.

Ditto about the Drury! We loved it! Great Cocktails at night with snacks, right on the streetcar line leading to Bourban street (which is only a couple of blocks anyway, very walkable even from someone who uses a cane to get around most of the time!), and great breakfast in the morning! Loved it!

When in November? The Bayou Classic is every November, and if that is in town, you won't be able to find anything anywhere!

Traditionally, it is held the Saturday after Thanksgiving and is a weekend long event.

What is the Bayou Classic? We are booking the Triumph for 11/27/10, which would be the very weekend you mentioned. However, we always drive down to Baton Rouge and stay there, so it shouldn't really affect us.

Bayou Classic causes a MESS every year! You may very well be affected in Baton Rouge.... last year I was coming back from N.O. on that Sunday and I had to pull off in Baton Rouge because I couldn't get any farther-- couldn't even THINK about getting across the Mississippi.

Bayou Classic is Southern vs. Grambling. 60K + people for the weekend... (60K for the game... I think plenty more people come out for the festivities...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou_Classic

All of the hotel rooms in N.O. will be sold out. I wouldn't be surprised if Baton Rouge hotel rooms were taken as well-- I don't know that they would sell out in B.R., but I wouldn't be surprised if it was harder to get a room.

Bayou Classic causes a MESS every year! You may very well be affected in Baton Rouge.... last year I was coming back from N.O. on that Sunday and I had to pull off in Baton Rouge because I couldn't get any farther-- couldn't even THINK about getting across the Mississippi.

Bayou Classic is Southern vs. Grambling. 60K + people for the weekend... (60K for the game... I think plenty more people come out for the festivities...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou_Classic

All of the hotel rooms in N.O. will be sold out. I wouldn't be surprised if Baton Rouge hotel rooms were taken as well-- I don't know that they would sell out in B.R., but I wouldn't be surprised if it was harder to get a room.

Thank you. I have not yet booked that one, so I will have to take this into consideration before I do book.

Edited to add an important question. If we did get a motel in Baton Rouge, do you think traffic would be nightmare with delays, etc., if we drove from BR to the terminal early that Sat. morning?

Thank you. I have not yet booked that one, so I will have to take this into consideration before I do book.

If you were planning to go into Baton Rouge on that Friday, then you might get caught up in massive traffic with the Grambling people. (and you know how BR can be a disaster on a good day).

But, yeah, I would consider the issues before you book... I wouldn't necessarily not book... but look into everything before you do.

If you were planning to go into Baton Rouge on that Friday, then you might get caught up in massive traffic with the Grambling people. (and you know how BR can be a disaster on a good day).

But, yeah, I would consider the issues before you book... I wouldn't necessarily not book... but look into everything before you do.

Well, I added a question to my post about traffic from BR to NOLA that Sat. morning. But I think I can use logic to answer my own question. No wonder rates are so good for that sailing! Thanks again.

Well, I added a question to my post about traffic from BR to NOLA that Sat. morning. But I think I can use logic to answer my own question. No wonder rates are so good for that sailing! Thanks again.

There are certain times of the year when cruises are cheaper. Like between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Just After Christmas, Peak Hurricane Season, etc.

There will certainly be some traffic, but many people start arriving on Friday, if not sooner.

We are sailing on the first VOS on 11/12/2011 so I don't think we will have any problem with the Bayou Classic. I think that we will go down the day before and book in the Drury, or other so we wll have no problem. Thanks again for all of the info.

We are sailing on the first VOS on 11/12/2011 so I don't think we will have any problem with the Bayou Classic. I think that we will go down the day before and book in the Drury, or other so we wll have no problem. Thanks again for all of the info.

Call the hotel directly, make sure you have the cruise special booked for the free parking.

• 3 weeks later...
Call the hotel directly, make sure you have the cruise special booked for the free parking.

I just got a rate of $79.00 at the Drury with $35 parking for the Cruise using the SUPER promo code. It is a Sumer 2010 Special. $114 total beats the terminal price.

Jay

Archived