What exactly is self disembark?

schack74

Recently heard about this and not sure what it is. I'm going on the Valor in May and am curious. Do they not have organized disembarkation with color coded tags, etc. anymore? I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks.

Self disembark is where you do not give the ship your bags to take off for you, you take them off yourself.

This saves you from having to go through their "warehouse" and finding your bags once you are off the ship.

But it also means that you have to lug your bags off the ship.

If you can handle your bags, it will save you a little time but nothing major.

Dolly

Dolly's answer is correct. The tell you NOT to put your luggage out on last night if you wish to do this. I plan on trying it in a couple of weeks since we have an early flight home. After these people are off the ship as well as VIP people...they will start announcing tags colors to leave.

Self disembark is where you do not give the ship your bags to take off for you, you take them off yourself.

This saves you from having to go through their "warehouse" and finding your bags once you are off the ship.

But it also means that you have to lug your bags off the ship.

If you can handle your bags, it will save you a little time but nothing major.

Dolly

Depending on what "color" tags you would have had this can save you major time... we have never been off later than 8:30 on self disembark unless there was a customs hang-up.

We were told that Customs takes about 2 hours to clear the ship - sometimes it can take longer. They boarded the Sensation at 7, so the cruise director said they would begin calling tag colors by 9 to 9:30. Express Checkout / Self Assist passengers were allowed to get off the ship at 8:00 AM, though - we did not have to wait for customs to clear the ship. So it potentially saved us 2 hours in wait time to disembark. I would definitely do it again, and I'd recommend it to anyone who won't have trouble getting their luggage off the ship.

Just make sure you can handle all your luggage. Saw a few people who had 2 really big bags a piece trying to get them through the hallways. It's great if you can piggy back your bags.

Yet another use for the bungee cords. This is how we did it to do the self-disembark.

Just got of the Spirit yesterday, self debarkation is NOT an option. I worked great last year in Miami, but they do not offer it in San Diego.

They do the debarkation very well though, ship docked at approx 6:30 am and I was off and in a cab by 8:30-8:45. The CD said he thought the ship would be clear of all passengers by 10am. :)

Just got of the Spirit yesterday, self debarkation is NOT an option. I worked great last year in Miami, but they do not offer it in San Diego.

They do the debarkation very well though, ship docked at approx 6:30 am and I was off and in a cab by 8:30-8:45. The CD said he thought the ship would be clear of all passengers by 10am. :)

What time were you allowed to embark?

Masses of people dragging many bags try to get off all at once, even though they are told to wait till their deck or color for self assist is called, and those that have to wait , mass up down along the elevators on the lower levels causing further delays.

Jim

Since I live local and am in no rush to get off, I'll probably wait and not self disembark. It sounds like it could be a mad house. It's alot of people getting off the ship with all their luggage on the Valor. Now that I know how I'll get off, how about getting on? Can anyone suggest a good time to get to the pier in Miami?

If self-disembark is available and you choose to use it, do you have to disembark early? Can you wait until later in the morning?

Lenny

If you dont set your luggage out the night before you can wait around. You are asked to leave your room by 8:30-9am so the room steward can get it ready for the next passengers. You will have to lug your luggage around the ship. That method was always available.

Self-disembark passengers are usually given a window of one hour to leave the ship. Its set up so you can get off the ship first.

The self-assist would go easier if you didn't have to lug your suitcase thru the crowd that are waiting 10 ft from the exit, not in the other areas where there were told to wait.

I never felt one bit of guilt when my rolling suitcase caught the occasional toe of someone who would then yell and of course get a reply from me that it wouldn't have happened if they were waiting in the designated areas like they were told to. Oh well... some people think that rules apply to all but them. :rolleyes:

Have you ever wondered why it is there is such a rush to get ON the ship... and then a rush to get back OFF? :p

Can you use the elevators on self-disembark or do you have to take the stairs? The reason why I ask is because I would book a lower cabin if you can't use the elevators. We have an early flight - 11:30 a.m. out of Orlando and will need to self-disembark as well as private transportation. Also, would going to the purser's desk for a VIP tag give us the same thing without carrying our bags? Someone mentioned that self-disembarking passengers and VIP passengers left at the same time? Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

A couple of points to remember if you opt to use self-assist express debarkation:

It is *only* available to US citizens who have no Customs declarations.

There is only a very brief window of opportunity to take advantage of self-assist. You will be one of the first off the ship, but you must be ready to go when called.

So, if I understand this correctly...if you can manage your luggage off the ship, you can leave first? If we are on the Riviera deck, doesn't that mean we just walk throught the halls with it and then off the ship? We are going on a 5 night Sensation Cruise and are considering this as an option so we can go see more of New Orleans....what do you guys think? How hard is it to maneuver your luggage off?

Archived