Need hotel suggestion for Miami please

robinsnest64

I would recommend Blue Lagoon. There are lots of mid-priced hotel/motels there, places to do last minute shopping and restaurants. Many of the hotels offer shuttles to the Port.

Some may say downtown, near Bayside. I think this is more expensive, both for lodging and for restaurants. And in my opinion, unless you want cheap souveniers and expensive meals, has nothing to offer.

Coconut Grove, if you can get a deal on lodging is good. Shopping and restaurants, although nothing exceptional in either respect, Cocowalk is WAY better than Bayside for strolling around, and there are a couple of restaurants there that aren't complete rip-offs. Again, this is a bit out of the way, so no shuttles to the port. If you're renting a car though, it's a good option.

Doral, if you're into golf is an option. It's on the other side of the airport. Great deals to be had there, but VERY far west and unless you can arrange for a shuttle to the port it's rather far away.

You might consider Hollywood Beach. It's equidistant from FLL and the Port, and the Westin Diplomat is a lovely resort.

Staying on Miami Beach/South Beach is expensive and if you don't have a lot of time to explore, it's probably a waste of money and taxi fare.

If you are flying into FLL it makes no sense to stay in Miami and then cruise from Port Everglades. There are too many good hotel options between FLL and the port to justify a 40+ minute trip to Miami

If you are flying into MIA, then you have lots of options, which RuthlessBunny did a good job summarizing.:cool: If I could afford it I'd stay in Miami Beach; if funds were more limited I'd rent a car and stay in the Coconut Grove area. If I was arriving late I'd stay in the blue lagoon area and eat Cuban at Casa Juan across the street from the Hampton Inn.

If you are renting a car or driving to your cruise check the parking fees before booking a hotel; most downtown Miami and Miami Beach hotels (and some in the FLL area too) charge for parking. $25-30/day is pretty standard.:eek:

OP, You don't say WHEN you are planning this. Makes a big difference in what "mid range" means. You mention "fun" area, which in my mind would mean you haven't been to Miami and want to catch the "Vibe" of the city. Only place to do that is South Beach. That's what you'll see in movies and on tv. Of course in late Dec or Early Jan. the weather might not be conducive to the beach. Again, need to know when you need the room.

I AM confused if you are flying into Miami and will have a car? Parking IS expensive and somewhat limited in Miami.

By the way, Ft.L can be fun too. Great beach, shopping and bar/restaurants on Las Olas Blvd. Just depends on what you want to do.

We are going to be there 1st wk of Sept. and we are flying into Ft.L, but my thought was since it was so close I would rent a car see some of the sights in Miami,and no have never been before. Not sure when we will be back that way and we are arriving at 1 on Sat. not having to be at the ship till 2 on Sun. Is this enough time or should we hang close to port and see some sights in Ft. L?? Can you recommmend any great eats either place, appreciate your help

Sorry! I didn't understand, I thought you were staying in Miami to sail out of Port of Miami. There's no reason to stay in MIA if you aren't flying in there or sailing out of there. Also, skip it this time. Explore Miami when you're not pressed for time, and no, you'll be stressed out if you wake up, drive down to Miami Beach and ....ew. No. Just no.

Ft. Lauderdale can be charming and is probably more Miami (as you envision it in your mind) than Miami is!

If you are sailing out of Port Everglades, pick any national chain in the Port Everglades, 17th Street, Las Olas area. You can't really go wrong there.

You'll love strolling up and down Las Olas Blvd. There are tons of nice restaurants there, as well as fun shops and clubs with live music. If you're staying close, go to Mangos, live music on the weekends, full bar and a really good menu. Many's the birthday...

My personal favorite restaurant is Aruba, it's on Commercial Blvd and the beach. Take the 11 bus up A1A, get off and walk 1 block towards the beach. Open air, great food, very casual.

In Ft. Lauderdale there's a Sun Trolley and a Water Taxi, both are great ways to get around. If you stay on the beach, Beach Place is similar to Cocowalk, in that it's a multi-storied structure with restaurants and shops. Las Olas is WAY better, but you might like this. I think they have LuLu's Bait Shack and Howl at the Moon. Both are fun bars, but they're chains, so no local charm there. If you REALLY want to scope out the local scene, you can go to The Parrot, a divy Ft. Lauderdale institution.

Ft. Lauderdale is beachy and relaxed and fun! You'll do SO much better staying here than trying to figure out Miami.

Personally I'd just enjoy the day in Ft. L, after hearing when you arrive. South Beach is fun, but you'd have more fun with a couple days down there and no rush back to ft l for the cruise.

Stay at a nice beach hotel in FTL if that's what you like. You'll be going in nonpeak season, so you should be able to find some nice pricing. Do a google for Las Olas Blvd and you'll see what it's all about.

We spent from 2-8:00 zipping around on the water taxis hitting different bars/restaurants and just touring the waterways. You'll need time on Las Olas too. The water taxi will drop you.

watertaxi.com will give you maps and routes and where a lot of hotels/retaurants are located on the beach, water ways and downtown (17th st)

We are going to be there 1st wk of Sept. and we are flying into Ft.L, but my thought was since it was so close I would rent a car see some of the sights in Miami,and no have never been before. Not sure when we will be back that way and we are arriving at 1 on Sat. not having to be at the ship till 2 on Sun. Is this enough time or should we hang close to port and see some sights in Ft. L?? Can you recommmend any great eats either place, appreciate your help

Living in the area, expect some rain in the afternoon as it is our rainy season and it will be HOT.

Unless you have someone showing you around......forget Miami area. If you get lost it might not be in an area you'll be excited about.

2 choices in Ft Lauderdale

17th causeway by the port if you have a car for the day, you can cruise up the beach and check out stuff. Then there are a number of places in the evening you can walk to.

Ft. Lauderdale beach, a number of options on the web including Sheraton, Mattiot, Best Western on the beach. Check out the beach scene then take a taxi to Las Olas BLVD. to spend the late PM and evening.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your help in my decision! I was a little concerned trying to squeeze it all in, so you have helped me greatly! Your suggestions are wonderful. I actually found a Hyatt Place that was recommended here with free shuttle service from airport and port. Miami will have to wait, thanks again!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions, we will be staying in Ft. L and will check out some of the places you have mentioned. Your response has been very helpful, thanks again!:)

Thank you so much for your help in my decision! I was a little concerned trying to squeeze it all in, so you have helped me greatly! Your suggestions are wonderful. I actually found a Hyatt Place that was recommended here with free shuttle service from airport and port. Miami will have to wait, thanks again!!

Sorry! I didn't understand, I thought you were staying in Miami to sail out of Port of Miami. There's no reason to stay in MIA if you aren't flying in there or sailing out of there. Also, skip it this time. Explore Miami when you're not pressed for time, and no, you'll be stressed out if you wake up, drive down to Miami Beach and ....ew. No. Just no.

Ft. Lauderdale can be charming and is probably more Miami (as you envision it in your mind) than Miami is!

If you are sailing out of Port Everglades, pick any national chain in the Port Everglades, 17th Street, Las Olas area. You can't really go wrong there.

You'll love strolling up and down Las Olas Blvd. There are tons of nice restaurants there, as well as fun shops and clubs with live music. If you're staying close, go to Mangos, live music on the weekends, full bar and a really good menu. Many's the birthday...

My personal favorite restaurant is Aruba, it's on Commercial Blvd and the beach. Take the 11 bus up A1A, get off and walk 1 block towards the beach. Open air, great food, very casual.

In Ft. Lauderdale there's a Sun Trolley and a Water Taxi, both are great ways to get around. If you stay on the beach, Beach Place is similar to Cocowalk, in that it's a multi-storied structure with restaurants and shops. Las Olas is WAY better, but you might like this. I think they have LuLu's Bait Shack and Howl at the Moon. Both are fun bars, but they're chains, so no local charm there. If you REALLY want to scope out the local scene, you can go to The Parrot, a divy Ft. Lauderdale institution.

Ft. Lauderdale is beachy and relaxed and fun! You'll do SO much better staying here than trying to figure out Miami.

I would recommend Blue Lagoon. There are lots of mid-priced hotel/motels there, places to do last minute shopping and restaurants. Many of the hotels offer shuttles to the Port.

Some may say downtown, near Bayside. I think this is more expensive, both for lodging and for restaurants. And in my opinion, unless you want cheap souveniers and expensive meals, has nothing to offer.

Coconut Grove, if you can get a deal on lodging is good. Shopping and restaurants, although nothing exceptional in either respect, Cocowalk is WAY better than Bayside for strolling around, and there are a couple of restaurants there that aren't complete rip-offs. Again, this is a bit out of the way, so no shuttles to the port. If you're renting a car though, it's a good option.

Doral, if you're into golf is an option. It's on the other side of the airport. Great deals to be had there, but VERY far west and unless you can arrange for a shuttle to the port it's rather far away.

You might consider Hollywood Beach. It's equidistant from FLL and the Port, and the Westin Diplomat is a lovely resort.

Staying on Miami Beach/South Beach is expensive and if you don't have a lot of time to explore, it's probably a waste of money and taxi fare.

How far is it from the Blue Lagoon area to the Port of Miami? We will be staying in Miami overnight on Oct 21, sailing on Oct 22 and will have our own car which we plan to leave at the port. Can you recommend any particular hotel and do any of them offer parking where your car can be left while cruising?

Depending on traffic, it's a straight shot down 836, about 20 minutes.

I don't know of any hotels particularly that have park and ride offers, but you could call around to see. If you google Hotels Miami Blue Lagoon, you'll get a listing.

I usually stay with friends, or in Broward to be honest. I just know the areas.

Archived