Breakfast in the MDR?

louhun88

Hi

I've seen a few dinner menus for the MDR on Ventura but nothing for breakfast or lunch come to think of it? Can you have these meals in the MDR?

Louise

If you want to avoid the maddness of the self service then the dining room is the place. The breakfast menu is standard to a good hotel but of course it is alll served to you.

Lunch is special, you tend to get comrort food which includes usually a curry and school puddingds, spotted dick, semolina and rice pud.

The plates are not loaded as they can be at dinner.

We try to get their at least a couple of times druing the cruise but we have to miss breakfast to do so.

Too much food.

Some people have all their meals in the restaurants, it is easier.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We've had both breakfast and lunch in the MDR in the past, but didn't on our recent Ventura cruise.

The problem is simply that, even though the portions are smaller, it's still more than we want at those meals. We tend to eat very light breakfasts - muesli & yoghurt, for example - and do so quickly. And at lunchtime also we tend to eat small portions and then leave. In the MDR, on the other hand, we found that it was hard to just have a small meal; and indeed, I found myself why I was bothering with all the tab;e service stuff since that was all I wanted. The other issue is that meals in the MDR take longer: you're seated, you wait for a while, the waiter takes your order, you wait for a while longer, the first part of your meal arrives, you eat it, it's cleared away, you wait a bit more, etc, etc. I'm not complaining, simply recognising that table service cannot be as fast as server-yourself buffet.

However, if you like more substantial meals at breakfast or lunch, or if you prefer leisurely more meals then the MDR would be a good choice. And in many ways its more civilised than the buffet.

We did have one 'proper' lunch on Ventura last time: we went to the Curry Luncheon in East (there was a small cover charge for this). Absolutely delicious.

What we tend to do, is enjoy the MDR on sea days when there is no rush to get off ship, have a nice leisurly breakfast, I order a freshly squeezed orange juice, aplate of melon slices and a natural yougart Tom, then follow if (close your eyes) with scrambled eggs and bacon lol.... not that you get that much tiny rounds of toast with crusts off and a scrambled one egg - I ask for 2. There are a few light options including smoothies in the MDR, its so much more relaxed and better quality, but not the place to go if in a rush - say you need to get to a appointment - spa, course, talk etc.

p9050269.jpg

At lunch on our 1st few cruises we never went to the MDR believeing it would be just too much to have a 2 course meal then 5 course in evening, BUT there are light options, I for example had a lovely crab and avacado salad in there one day with a bread roll, so less calouries than the temptations of the ss buffet.! Do try it.!

The restaurant breakfast menu covers everything you can think of. The lunch menu has lighter options as well. Dont forget the restaurant also does an excellent afternoon tea at 4pm. However it is difficult to do breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea all on the same day but some manage it.

Brian

Archived