What to do waiting for 10PM flight out of Anchorage

luv2scrapdeb

After we finish our Princess Cruisetour we will arrive at the Anchorage airport sometime around noon and our flight out is not until 10PM. We don't want to just sit in the airport. I've read that we can lock up our luggage....so any suggestions on what to see for a few hours? We are not museum people.

If you dont want to rent a car. Then I suggest you take a cab to the Wild Berry Park which is also next to the Sourough dough mining company and also the Peanut farm. Thier is lots to do thier. Also I think they offer a free shuttle from the Wild Berry Park.

http://www.alaskawildberryproducts.com/wild-berry-theater-and-park/

Then next to that is also the Souroughdough Mining Company where you can get Dinner and soak in the ambiance.

Also if your interested in Pubs/sports bars next to the sourdough Mining company is also the peanut farm which has darts, pool, sports games and the like.

These three places will keep you entertained if your interested and they are not to far from the Anchorage airport either.

Adri :)

I think the Princess Luggage Room at the Airport closes around 6pm. So your luggage will be taken care of until then.

With your flight so late, Princess probably holds your luggage at the Egan Center Downtown Anchorage. I think that closes at 6pm as well, with the last transfer to the Airport. So you will probably be wandering downtown Anchorage for the afternoon, then get to the Egan Center before 5:30 to get your luggage and get on the last transfer to the Airport. You'll probably get to the Airport around 5:30pm.

My sisters had your situation. They paid HAL to manage their luggage. Back in 2008 I think it was $16 or $17. They left their luggage outside their cabin the evening before disembarking. They did not see it again until their home airport. It worked very well for them. They took a cab downtown, had lunch and did some window shopping and strolling around Anchorage. They ended up finding a HAL bus which took them back to the airport. Otherwise they would have taken a cab back.

I recommend the Alaska Native Heritage Center. It's more of a cultural event than a museum. A fitting way to end your visit to Alaska. There are wonderful exhibits, even a sod home, dancing, carving and other live events. There's a free shuttle that leaves from the downtown visitor center ( the log cabin). I believe the shuttle stops at the Ulu factory and a few other spots as well. Then you could have dinner and head back to the airport.

http://www.alaskanative.net/en/home/

Also there's an outdoor market downtown on weekends if you're into shopping.

Where are you coming from with a noon arrival?? The most advantage of you time, would be had with a rental car. Just superb places you can go and really make a lot of your day. Luggage goes with you as well.

If you are staying at a hotel the night before, the hotel will store your luggage. This will allow to walk around town and see the sights. There is also a mall in Anchorage along with many great restaurants and shops.

We have the same issue. We are coming to Anchorage on a Salmonberry Tour (from Seward). I didn't want to hang around the airport either.

So we opted to add on a tour. Salmonberry has a 2 hour chocolate tour that visits Earthquake Park, Bootleggers Cove, Hood Lake, Chocolate Dwellers Lounge, and finishes up at Wildberry. Wildberry has secured luggage store. Plus they have a shuttle back to the airport for a small fee. So we will say goodbye to our tour guide at Wildberry and hang out there for awhile and then go to the airport. Wildberry said for us to tell them the day before or the day of that we need a shuttle to the airport.

I don't know what to think of Wildberrys. I've looked over their website. I hope we aren't sorry to go there, but it beats the airport. We wanted to eat at Sour Dough Mining Company as well. I read a couple bad reviews of their food.

Adri, can you elaborate on the food? Is there someplace even better? I hear Wildberrys has food also. We will have our 6 year old with us so probably a sports bar is out.

Food is ok but nothing out of the ordinary. Place is designed like the inside of a mine and there's plenty on your plate. Wife and I love their corn fritters but other meals have been hit and miss. Kids love this place, especially for the ice cream machine.

Best food item is probably the baby back ribs and the monstrous sandwiches. Wildberry Gifts is fun but very touristy. Big claim to fame is the big chocolate waterfall flowing into a huge vat of chocolate.

Food is ok but nothing out of the ordinary. Place is designed like the inside of a mine and there's plenty on your plate. Wife and I love their corn fritters but other meals have been hit and miss. Kids love this place, especially for the ice cream machine.

Best food item is probably the baby back ribs and the monstrous sandwiches. Wildberry Gifts is fun but very touristy. Big claim to fame is the big chocolate waterfall flowing into a huge vat of chocolate.

Thank you for the information. What about Cattle Company? I was surprised that there's one in Anchorage. Ours closed up a long time ago. We miss it.

I think the Cattle Company has better food. But the atmosphere at the Sourogh dough mining company is outstanding and people love it. Just be prepared for a price shock at both places. I do recommend the Wildberry as I think its a cool place and I love going thier as well :).

Adri

We were just at Wildberry and it is fun. They've added a small park on the property you can walk though. There's also a theater that shows a film on Alaska.

Wife and I think that Sourdough is overpriced for what you get. Haven't been to Cattle Company in a long time since they seem to have slipped in popularity with all the competition.

Many consider Anchorage's best meals to be found downtown at such places like Simon and Seaforts, Ristorante Orso, and the Glacier Brewhouse.

Very close to Sourdough on the Old Seward Highway is a local institution named Arctic Roadrunner. They're known for their great homemade hamburgers, fantastic shakes, and onion rings and pieces. Not exactly healthy stuff but it's been a local favorite for years and you won't leave hungry; in fact, it just won the Anchorage Daily News award for best hamburger in Anchorage. It is situated right on Campbell Creek and, weather permitting, you can actually eat outside (if the mosquitos don't dine on you).

Alaska Wildberry, is a gift shop. :) Not a destination, I would consider? I actually stopped at both locations and made my purchases.

The Sourdough Mining as, mentioned is OK only. It caters to a lot of groups. Their halibut and corn fritters are popular, but it is not up to "my" standards" for my halibut fixes. :)

Archived