Not a clothing question but what about shoes?

pampaul

We're sailing on the Jewel on 7-10. Can't wait. It'll be me, DH and our two boys along with SIL, BIL and their son (14)

So I know it's "freestyle" and all. I plan on letting my boys wear black jeans along with their shirts during dinner (they are 13 & 14 and they'll probably only dine with us a few nights during the week, atleast that's what they're telling us :))

On dress up or not night (or whatever it's called these days) both boys will have dress black pants with their dress shirt and tie. Here's the thing...neither one of them have dress shoes and I just can't see going out and buying them some that they'll only wear during this vacation and will probably outgrow them by summer's end. Have you seen young boys wearing sneakers during the week wether it's during a regular dining night OR with their dress clothes?

We're sailing on the Jewel on 7-10. Can't wait. It'll be me, DH and our two boys along with SIL, BIL and their son (14)

So I know it's "freestyle" and all. I plan on letting my boys wear black jeans along with their shirts during dinner (they are 13 & 14 and they'll probably only dine with us a few nights during the week, atleast that's what they're telling us :))

On dress up or not night (or whatever it's called these days) both boys will have dress black pants with their dress shirt and tie. Here's the thing...neither one of them have dress shoes and I just can't see going out and buying them some that they'll only wear during this vacation and will probably outgrow them by summer's end. Have you seen young boys wearing sneakers during the week wether it's during a regular dining night OR with their dress clothes?

I've never checked out anyone's shoes. Black sneakers probably wouldn't be noticed.

Another good thing about sneakers as compared to dress shoes is that your sons are less likely to slip on a wet promenade or pool deck. Get 'em the sneakers, and be totally (and verbally) grateful that you can get 'em to wear dress slacks, shirts, and ties, and actually take meals with you; you're already streets ahead of lots of us.

Enjoy your cruise.

On dress up or not night, they don't have to dress any differently if you don't want them to do so. This is freestyle!

Oh yeah I know....but we're all getting semi-dressed up (it's the only time we can get a decent family photo done. LOL)

Oh yeah I know....but we're all getting semi-dressed up (it's the only time we can get a decent family photo done. LOL)

It is great to see families all dressed nicely and getting their portraits taken on cruises! :)

It is nice to see the family portraits being taken. We always enjoy seeing them being taken on our way to dinner. It's also nice to see them when we are in the photo gallery searching for our own. :)

Unless it was something REALLY outlandish (I have in my head that star that wore a dress that looked like she'd smacked into a peacock!!! :eek: )

I've never really noticed what anyone was wearing. And the least noticeable would be shoes, particularly on teenaged boys. I think they'll be fine.

PP, your photo is scary.:eek:

LOL if you're talking about the picture of the shark, blame that one on DH. He set up this account and decided that pic would be a good one I guess. He also has this shark (the one from Finding Nemo, can't remember his name right now) tattooed on his arm. I should change it. LOL

If the feet'll show in the portrait, Reebok makes some really nice black sneakers/tennis shoes/running shoes depending on where you're from! They look like dress shoes and are reasonable priced and reusable :p

No one sailing on NCL will notice or care about the sneakers. That's part of the Free style atmosphere.

If I may offer a piece of unsolicited advice.......

Get them some type of water proof shoes or rubber boots. We were in AK last week, and it rained-rained-rained. Even though we didn't do anything rigorous, my sneaker covered feet were wet and cold all day, everyday while doing Whale watches, Mendenhall, etc....

Oops, I see you're on the Jewel. For some reason I read that as the Pearl (Alaska)

never mind............

We always dress up some for a group/family photo on a night other than the optional formal night. Many people do exactly what you are planning and the line for the photographer is usually long and slow. The photographers are there every night usually and we find that there is far less of line on other nights. Just a hint to save you some time.

and to answer your question... will the shoes show in the picture? Probably not. So the sneakers would be fine.

So it is okay to wear sneakers and flip flops to the sit down restaurants (not upcharge ones) and well as jeans? I thought I read somewhere else that they were only allowed at the buffet. Sorry this is our first ever cruise, we don't want to be left out if we are not dressed correctly.:confused:

So it is okay to wear sneakers and flip flops to the sit down restaurants (not upcharge ones) and well as jeans? I thought I read somewhere else that they were only allowed at the buffet. Sorry this is our first ever cruise, we don't want to be left out if we are not dressed correctly.:confused:

Here's a tip, if you're not allowed in to the dining room because of the way you're dressed just go back to the room and change the offending article. Not hard, no big deal. So don't sweat the small stuff. If you are inclined to not want to make a faux pas, just wear nicer pants/capris/casual skirt and sandals the first night and make note of how others are dressed in the dining room and then base your future wardrobe choices based on what you've seen. :)

PP, don't change the picture. Love it.

I serve on a state board, and at last monthly meeting they displayed new web site, with pictures of board members. Except for some reason they located photos of all board members except me, so for my photo they put a picture of Batman. Of course, they asked me to send in a photo, but rather than that I have bought a Batman face mask to wear at the next meeting.

Bill

Flip flops aren't allowed. You should be fine in nice jeans (no holes/stains/rips) and sneakers, although depending on the staff you MAY be asked to change.

Flip flops aren't allowed. You should be fine in nice jeans (no holes/stains/rips) and sneakers, although depending on the staff you MAY be asked to change.

Flip flops ARE allowed. I most always wear flips flops (fancy ones mind you), and have never been turned away.

I think it would be very hard for dining room staff to distinguish between sandas and flips flops. The line would be too blurry.

Flip flops aren't allowed.

Really? Since when? I personally don't care because I never wear them but others might care. Can you provide a link to an online policy from NCL or was this published in a Freestyle Daily? Or perhaps signage at a restaurant? Would love some clarification.

Wear the flip flops...no one cares...they look fine. My 24 y/o daughter and I did a 9 night on the Dawn...3 pair with her, she looked fine, and we ate in all types of restaurants.

From right here on Cruise Critic, NCL's dress code policy. It says nothing about footwear.

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: NCL, and sub-brand NCL America, have no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

Nightly Casual Option: It's all casual, save for the one restaurant that's been reserved as a spot for potentially dressing up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Swimwear is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant -- so long as you put on a cover-up.

Don't know if Micchi has every been on a Freestyle cruise. If she has, she will know that a large percentage of passengers wear flip flops. I've even seen plenty of gentlemen with khaki's, golf shirt....and flip flops.

Archived