Not a clothing question but what about shoes?

pampaul

Flip flops ARE allowed. I most always wear flips flops (fancy ones mind you), and have never been turned away.

I think it would be very hard for dining room staff to distinguish between sandas and flips flops. The line would be too blurry.

Really? Since when? I personally don't care because I never wear them but others might care. Can you provide a link to an online policy from NCL or was this published in a Freestyle Daily? Or perhaps signage at a restaurant? Would love some clarification.

From right here on Cruise Critic, NCL's dress code policy. It says nothing about footwear.

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: NCL, and sub-brand NCL America, have no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

Nightly Casual Option: It's all casual, save for the one restaurant that's been reserved as a spot for potentially dressing up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Swimwear is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant -- so long as you put on a cover-up.

Don't know if Micchi has every been on a Freestyle cruise. If she has, she will know that a large percentage of passengers wear flip flops. I've even seen plenty of gentlemen with khaki's, golf shirt....and flip flops.

Yes, I can provide clarification. I inquired about the dress code and received the following reply from NCL staff.

The dress code onboard:

Jeans: Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the “designated” venue. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.

Resort casual is appropriate in all venues, including specialty restaurants. Resort casual attire may include simple slacks and shirts, skirts and sundresses.

Formal nights are offered on each ship for sailings of 3 days or more. Although not required, if a guest chooses to dress up, formal attire consists of black tie or dark suits for men, evening gown or cocktail dress for women.

Bare feet, t-Shirts, cut-offs, tank tops and swim suits are not permitted in any dining venue for dinner other than the outdoor dining venues.

Here are some guidelines:

Shorts: Only Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks will be permitted in any dining venue for dinner. All other shorts will not be permitted in any dining venue for dinner with the exception of the Buffet and any outdoor dining venues.

Hawaiian and/or Tropical shirts are permitted in all dining venues for all meals.

Flip flops are not permitted in the "designated" venues.

Workout attire and track suits are only permitted in the buffet and any outdoor dining venues for dinner. Presentable track suits are permitted in all venues for Breakfast and Lunch.

Children under 12 can wear presentable jeans and shorts in all dining venues for all meals. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition. Presentable shorts are well groomed shorts that are either dressy or sporty shorts, but not cut off jeans shorts or swimming trunks.

Emphasis mine :) HTH.

[edit] Should add that these may not be enforced on every ship by every member of staff, but this is the official policy. If your experience was different, please keep in mind that that was YOUR experience, and it may not apply to anyone else... so I think it's better to potentially spare other pax future embarrassment and allow them to make their own clothing decisions.

There are no designated venues that ban flip flops, and if there are, it would be in a venue where slippage would be a problem, not a dining room.

Never ever saw a sign that said "No flip flops"

I also think that one should be cautious about offering factual/nonfactual information to new NCL cruisers when we have little or no experience on NCL.

There are no designated venues that ban flip flops, and if there are, it would be in a venue where slippage would be a problem, not a dining room.

Never ever saw a sign that said "No flip flops"

I also think that one should be cautious about offering factual/nonfactual information to new NCL cruisers when we have little or no experience on NCL.

I'm just passing along the info I received from NCL, so I'm not sure how it could be deemed non-factual. Don't shoot the messenger.

No shooting here Micchi, you seem like a delightful young lady.

Please just trust me on this one, you will not be turned away if wearing flip flops.

DH and I are avid cruisers, and if flips flops were not allowed in the dining rooms, I would be pitching a fit. ( I am a redneck, flip flop kind of gal) :)

I just remembered the venue where flips flops were NOT allowed.

When we took the behind the scenes tour, we were told that flips flops were not allowed. However, there were a couple of people that showed up wearing flip flops, and they were not told to go back and change.

I guess NCL asked that no flip flops be worn due to the fact that we were walking throught the kitchen, enviormental areas, etc.

No shooting here Micchi, you seem like a delightful young lady.

Please just trust me on this one, you will not be turned away if wearing flip flops.

DH and I are avid cruisers, and if flips flops were not allowed in the dining rooms, I would be pitching a fit. ( I am a redneck, flip flop kind of gal) :)

TBH I will trust your experience over NCL on this one because half of their employees don't agree with the other half :p Although it all works out in the end!

We're sailing on the Jewel on 7-10. Can't wait. It'll be me, DH and our two boys along with SIL, BIL and their son (14)

So I know it's "freestyle" and all. I plan on letting my boys wear black jeans along with their shirts during dinner (they are 13 & 14 and they'll probably only dine with us a few nights during the week, atleast that's what they're telling us :))

On dress up or not night (or whatever it's called these days) both boys will have dress black pants with their dress shirt and tie. Here's the thing...neither one of them have dress shoes and I just can't see going out and buying them some that they'll only wear during this vacation and will probably outgrow them by summer's end. Have you seen young boys wearing sneakers during the week wether it's during a regular dining night OR with their dress clothes?

of course, even my husband, though he doesn't wear sneakers on some nights wears top sider types. Cruising and dress shoes don't go together anymore in my estimation. That is one of the reasons we like "freestyle"

Nita

Yes, I can provide clarification. I inquired about the dress code and received the following reply from NCL staff.

Emphasis mine :) HTH.

[edit] Should add that these may not be enforced on every ship by every member of staff, but this is the official policy. If your experience was different, please keep in mind that that was YOUR experience, and it may not apply to anyone else... so I think it's better to potentially spare other pax future embarrassment and allow them to make their own clothing decisions.

Thanks for the clarification. As SnootieTootie indicated, I've never seen any of the dining rooms (regular or specialty) designated as a venue that prohibits flip-flops. That's my experience on 9 NCL cruises.

• 2 months later...
The shark is called BRUCE... fish are friends..fish are friends...:D

Is this some kind of secret code? :)

"Fish are friends - not food" is the secret code at the repentant sharks club where they have decided to no longer eat fish.

Re: flip flops - it is possible that the NCL quote refers to cheap rubber flip-flops that one wears on the beach or in showers - as opposed to more stylish flip-flop style sandals commonly worn now.

cheap flip-flops:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.somethingyoushouldread.com/images/haikus/eva-flip-flops-20838.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.somethingyoushouldread.com/haikus/haiku.php%3Fid%3D276&h=321&w=336&sz=36&tbnid=NIhFtNiAnCY0mM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflip-flops&zoom=1&usg=__FZE5CXzQfQe_fsExn-yLvuO8trU=&sa=X&ei=CmZ9TLCtMcaAlAfvjqntCw&ved=0CEAQ9QEwBw

"sandals" that are flip-flop style (thong sandals):

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2010/08/18/ron-white-the-age-of-flip-flops-for-men-too/

http://canada.zappos.com/n/p/dp/54255471/c/767.html

Since I only wear the 2nd type ("sandals" and have had no problem on NCL ships with them, I would be surprised if NCL means them as well as the cheap ones.

If the feet'll show in the portrait, Reebok makes some really nice black sneakers/tennis shoes/running shoes depending on where you're from! They look like dress shoes and are reasonable priced and reusable :p

Even if they have their old ratty sneakers, a good photographer can make it work for you. My son forgot dress shoes when he went for his senior pictures photo shoot. 4946485686_5c558d4873_z.jpg

i have worn dressy-casual--(not the rubber old buck a pair type) in the MDRs every NCL cruise and along with so many others--this is the style so they probably should CLARIFY the type of flip-flops...

and too each ship and sailing and depending on who is in charge of the MDR is going to decide what you can and cant wear in the MDRs.

Archived