I wasn't going to make a stink about them taking our 12 beers but when they took...

Unless you were going to use head phones with it,it would be a non allowed item unless it was going to be used inside your cabin where the public could not hear it.

Steve

Dont want to upset anyone or start anything but that was my thought... I really enjoy sitting on the balcony listening to the water break against the ship and not the neighbors music.

Yes, it was taped inside the 18 pack of beer (I guess my husband only took a partial box).

well that was your problem...taping the cord inside the beer box. They get the beer they get the cord. Buy one of the small Belkin power strips with 3 outlets, 2 usb ports and a 3 prong plug that folds in, keep it in your carry on or purse.

Dont want to upset anyone or start anything but that was my thought... I really enjoy sitting on the balcony listening to the water break against the ship and not the neighbors music.

Understood, I always ask first and I don't play it loud at all, you can still here the waves. .... besides who doesn't like Johnny Cash or IZ (strange combination I know) :p. OK, no Cash or IZ haters now....(mostly use it for inside and played no louder then the TV, but I enjoy it sometimes on the balcony too.) jeez, I am breaking another Carnival rule....I run with sissors too.

Understood, I always ask first and I don't play it loud at all, you can still here the waves. .... besides who doesn't like Johnny Cash or IZ (strange combination I know) :p. OK, no Cash or IZ haters now....(mostly use it for inside and played no louder then the TV, but I enjoy it sometimes on the balcony too.) jeez, I am breaking another Carnival rule....I run with sissors too.

So you yell to those above you and below you to see if it is OK? My issue was with someone not on my deck but up a deck I think.

Steve

Let this be a lesson to you all ...

Don't pack questionable contraband items together. Spread them out through your luggage to lessen the possibility of detection as well as increase the odds of the screeners being satisfied with the first thing they find and moving on.

I agree that you should have been allowed to bring an extension cord - probably luck of the draw with whoever was 'screening' your luggage - and no I wouldn't hide it!

But I disagree with the playing of the music on the balcony - would you ask everyone each and every time? (maybe one day they don't mind but the next day they are napping or something?). And what if they are not around to ask - but then show up and wonder where that music is coming from? And as mentioned do you also ask those above and below?

I do bring my ipod portable speakers with me (and an octopus plug thing) so I can listen to music while blow drying my hair and getting ready for dinner - but I don't think I would do that outside - and would wear earphones instead.

P.S. and just for the record I do not LIKE johnny cash - so do you tell people what you are gong to be playing when you ask their permission? :D:D

Don't pack questionable contraband items together. Spread them out through your luggage to lessen the possibility of detection as well as increase the odds of the screeners being satisfied with the first thing they find and moving on.

What would be wrong with:

Don't pack questionable contraband items, period. Bring them to the attention of Carnival prior to boarding if you have doubt. When doing this provide justification for said items.

If they say no remember they have every right to. Deal with it and move on addressing it with Carnival when time permits, in a civil way. If you still get "nope not allowed" deal with it or move to another venue that may allow what you want to bring while not breaking the rule sof the ship/company.

All this is saying is now we are spreading it about in the luggage please take more time to look through all the luggage so it makes the process even longer.

We lost our extension cord in Oct on the Victory out of San Juan. No matter how many times I post it, the consensus is I am mistaken or lying??

At that time there was no "we'll give it back" Throw it away but you are not getting on the ship with it. I went back to the Sheraton where we stayed and the bellman kept it for us and we picked it up a week later.

You can look all you want at Carnival's website and you can show them where you are allowed to have these things and it is useless. I got called to the naughty room and had no choice. I actually had to leave the ship if I wanted to keep this item. My husband had no idea where I disappeared to as I ran back to the Sheraton to "mail it home" which security told me was my only option if I didn't want it thrown out (It was a very good and expensive cord for our laptop) I basically was told if I did not throw it away, I was on my own to find solutions and if the cord was in my hand I was not allowed to go back on the ship to my cabin.

We are platinum cruisers and have brought the exact extension cord on every cruise with no problem. You are powerless when a screener disallow it, I even asked for a supervisor and they treat me like I had brought a bomb aboard. Yes we still cruise Carnival and will continue to do so...it can happen to you and everything you do to show them it is allowed will fall on deaf ears, it is a weekend and you are at the mercy of inconsistency, and you will have no choices....the last cruise we went on, the extension cord went right through no questions...go figure??

Where are they finding these items? Is your cabin steward reporting you for having them or are they being seen on xray machines?? I cannot sleep without a fan or noise machine and I see this is restricted now......YIKES!!!

I thought they retracted the ban on small fans but I guess that was curling irons and blow dryers I saw. Aww well I can suck it up and survive without one.

Chances are the cord is what got the beer taken. A cord is pretty obvious on an xray, open it to remove the cord and get a pack of beer as a bonus. Why would you take an extension cord inside smuggled beer. Why bring more attention to it? Maybe he drank the missing beers from the case before he came up with the great idea of putting the cord in. Would explain why he thought it would work LOL

What would be wrong with:

Don't pack questionable contraband items, period. Bring them to the attention of Carnival prior to boarding if you have doubt. When doing this provide justification for said items.

If they say no remember they have every right to. Deal with it and move on addressing it with Carnival when time permits, in a civil way. If you still get "nope not allowed" deal with it or move to another venue that may allow what you want to bring while not breaking the rule sof the ship/company.

All this is saying is now we are spreading it about in the luggage please take more time to look through all the luggage so it makes the process even longer.

Because people are going to continue to pack contraband no matter how many times or how nicely you ask them not to, and they are going to continue to come here and complain when they get caught even though they know the risks. Perhaps if it slows the works down enough to the point that they piss off enough people everyone will finally get the hint.

Because people are going to continue to pack contraband no matter how many times or how nicely you ask them not to, and they are going to continue to come here and complain when they get caught even though they know the risks. Perhaps if it slows the works down enough to the point that they piss off enough people everyone will finally get the hint.

ahhhh reverse psycoloygoylly stuff.

Or is it......

:eek:

So you yell to those above you and below you to see if it is OK? My issue was with someone not on my deck but up a deck I think.

Steve

Sorry Steve, should have clarified. I have only been on the Paradise since I have owned an Ipod. The only deck I have stayed on is the Upper deck, where they don't have balconies above or below you.

I thought they retracted the ban on small fans but I guess that was curling irons and blow dryers I saw. Aww well I can suck it up and survive without one.

Chances are the cord is what got the beer taken. A cord is pretty obvious on an xray, open it to remove the cord and get a pack of beer as a bonus. Why would you take an extension cord inside smuggled beer. Why bring more attention to it? Maybe he drank the missing beers from the case before he came up with the great idea of putting the cord in. Would explain why he thought it would work LOL

Sorry, again I need to explain. When taking the beer, my husband just threw the balance he had from an 18 pack into his luggage (I think he had 12 inside). Then.....he threw in an extension cord.....they were not taped together, just in the same suitcase. When they returned them to us the last night of the cruise, THEY put the extension cord inside the 18 pack of beer. It was all taped up by them. We didn't do it. I guess they did this so it would be easier to deliver back to us. Hope this clears it up :D

Ok, read enough on it. I will keep my Ipod indoors from now on...:( Never thought I was bothering anyone.....

But, I really didn't know that extension cords were a problem before we went last weekend. I will do what the prior poster said, just bring it on as carry on with the list of do's/dont's....

as far as the beer goes.....well, that will be up to my husband;)

thanks for the replies everyone!

Happy Cruisen

Chris

MORE importantly, what is the story behind the 12 pack being taken? How was it packed? I throw a 12 pack in my checked suitcase to have on the balcony as well and never had a problem...so far.

More details please!

TMWTim - Do you wrap the beer in anything? Or just throw it in the suitcase and it never gets taken away? Thanks!

TMWTim - Do you wrap the beer in anything? Or just throw it in the suitcase and it never gets taken away? Thanks!

I wrap it in a beach towel that we put on a balcony chair.

I have said it in previous threads like this one...I am not trying to save money or trying to rob Carnival. I just want to have a few cold ones on the balcony at night and I hate the taste of plastic bottles. If they catch me, no worries. When I pack I give the beer about two seconds of thought. Wrap it in a towel and put it on the bottom of the suitcase.

Archived