How are these different?

ava_girl_123

Two things... location and the structure of the balcony railing.

Coves are located on the Main Deck, two decks up from the waterline. Standard balcony cabins are located on the Upper Deck or higher, six or so decks above the waterline.

A standard balcony has Plexiglas fronting it with a metal rail covered with a wood cap.

A cove balcony has a railing structure cut out of the hull plating of the ship with a wood cap for a railing. You can see the construction of a Cove balcony in this picture of the Dream:

Dream019.jpg

The cove balconies are built into the hull of the ship and are not as exposed to the outside as a regular balcony.

That's how most ALL the balconies are on the Explorer of the Seas. I felt like I was sitting in a cave.

These cove cabins have a protection door?

So a regular balcony gets more sun? Anyone have a pic of a regular balcony from the outside of the ship?

Are cove balconies less expensive then a regular balcony?

Thanks everyone:D

Standard balcony gets WAY more sun, and it's higher with a nice breeze. They should really call them alcove balconies. Weird, not my cup o tea....

Yes and they will close them when necessary. We hit a bad storm on the way to Barcelona last Oct. Woke up to find the chairs and table had been removed from the balcony and the water tight door shut. The dividers between balconies are actually the watertight doors. At least we had the big picture window for light and a view of the raging sea.

We were in 70 mph winds and 40 ft seas. We had to turn around and sail up the coast of Sardinia to get to Monaco and missed Barcelona.

I really liked the price of the Cove and would book one again.

IMG_0562.jpg.05d2717d3ab8b6bd598c50306bce2e9c.jpg

Gail,

this is a pic of hubby and our friends on the balcony, deck 5 Miracle. I would think the Dream is very similar.

I have read you will get all day sun on the AFT balconies, but I also know they cost more money.

I would think the Cove balconies would somewhat if not totally block the sun if you're a sun worshiper.

Standard balconies do not have a lounge chair, one of the chairs does tilt back but not a full lounger. I think we had a full lounger on our balcony in a junior suite once. Those who only book suites could confirm that, it's been 7 years since we had that suite.

Also look for a threads on the Dream for pics. I know there was a gentleman on the boards here who took the transatlantic voyage and posted a boatload of pictures. He had a cove balcony.

One really big thing to consider is this -----if seas are rough they close up your balcony door and you're stuck with an "oceanview" cabin until the seas calm down.

Kathy

That's how most ALL the balconies are on the Explorer of the Seas. I felt like I was sitting in a cave.

I was on the Explorer in a regular balcony that was open and did not feel at all like a cave. There were plenty of other balconies like mine so I don't know where on that ship your cabin must have been.

I was on the Explorer in a regular balcony that was open and did not feel at all like a cave. There were plenty of other balconies like mine so I don't know where on that ship your cabin must have been.

I said most all, as two times I was in a cave, and once was in an "open".

Cabin numbers listed below for verification.

Archived