kids' spending money

wow. I guess my kids are lucky! lol We have been planning this cruise for over a year now, and still have 8 months to go. My kids have been earning money and saving at least 1/2 of their birthday/christmas money. I know they would be more than thrilled to come home with some cash too! lol

So far, they have over $500 each!!!

While it may not be necessary, I would rather they have the money just in case they want something special (my daughter loves jewellery). The kids are excited about ordering room service before bed each night (cookies and milk) and we've told them they are responsible for those charges and tips.

I'd hate to be in port and have them find something or see an "experience" and have to miss out because they dont have money. Thats sad! Its vacation!!

I cant imagine them only having $25 for a whole week??!!! wow.

To each his own I guess!

Our older kids (16 and 18 years old) have been on 13 cruises and we are booked for their 14th in November. They always have their own spending money that they earn here and there (working, birthdays, etc.) for souvenoirs and such. For most excursions, we pay for them. One year they really wanted to parasail and we already had excursions planned so we told them they could, but it'd be paid for by them. They decided not to that trip. Their choice.

The arcades sometimes have free play time - that's when they played in the arcade. Otherwise, they spent more time playing video games in the kid/teen program with new friends. We've already paid for that anyway. Our oldest always brought his handheld game with him too. They never seemed like they missed out on anything.

We also don't buy soda cards. If they want one, they can buy it. They always have things like iced tea, lemonade/punch, juices, milk and, of course, water. All for free. Not to mention ice cream... :) But we always stop at a store (before cruise and/or in ports) and buy a six pack of their favorite soda, if they want it. (LOVE the plastic bottled ones for this!! One will last me all day poured over ice.)

On a side note, our just turned 16 year old just bought her own car, with her own money. And our 18 year old did the same 2 years ago. Great to teach them about money and how much it's really worth.

just curious how old your kids are? 500 each is alot of money to spend!!!

wow. I guess my kids are lucky! lol We have been planning this cruise for over a year now, and still have 8 months to go. My kids have been earning money and saving at least 1/2 of their birthday/christmas money. I know they would be more than thrilled to come home with some cash too! lol

So far, they have over $500 each!!!

While it may not be necessary, I would rather they have the money just in case they want something special (my daughter loves jewellery). The kids are excited about ordering room service before bed each night (cookies and milk) and we've told them they are responsible for those charges and tips.

I'd hate to be in port and have them find something or see an "experience" and have to miss out because they dont have money. Thats sad! Its vacation!!

I cant imagine them only having $25 for a whole week??!!! wow.

To each his own I guess!

they are turning 11 and 12. I am glad that they are saving up all of their money and not spending it weekly on junk. if its earned and given to them as gifts, its theirs to spend as they please.

vacation is a big deal at our house and i'm happy and proud that they are saving so much for their enjoyment. maybe they will spend nothing, but at least they have it just in case:)

we have 2 days in NYC before the cruise as well...so whatever money that have is for 11 days:)

• 7 months later...

I have a son who will be 9 1/2 when we do our Florida trip. We plan on going to Disneyworld for 10 days, a caribbean cruise 7 days, then a couple days in Fort Lauderdale before we come home. My question would be for the money that he has saved up over 24 months how do I divy it up for him. Being only 9 I don't want him trying to spend it all in the first 2 days, then having nothing left when he sees something that he really does want. Any suggestions.

My sons will be just turned 18 and 13 when we go on our cruise in November. Their grandma is buying them a drink card each and hubby and I are paying for their port excursions. Oldest son offered to pay for his own cruise and excursions, but he's saving for a car. He works every weekend and keeps his grades high, so I don't see the harm in treating him. He's a good kid:D. Youngest son also works after school, but doesn't earn a huge amount. They ARE responsible for their own spending money....souvenirs, whatever. The rule has always been that they don't get paid for chores, that's their contribution to living in the house. If they want pocket money, they have to get a job. Both boys have had paper delivery routes since youngest was 7. Oldest also works fast food on weekends. They're pretty good savers and money managers.

I have a son who will be 9 1/2 when we do our Florida trip. We plan on going to Disneyworld for 10 days, a caribbean cruise 7 days, then a couple days in Fort Lauderdale before we come home. My question would be for the money that he has saved up over 24 months how do I divy it up for him. Being only 9 I don't want him trying to spend it all in the first 2 days, then having nothing left when he sees something that he really does want. Any suggestions.

First of all, a good discussion with you about how to ration money and what may or may not be tempting to him. Then perhaps divide the money up per day, realizing that some days he may need or want to spend little, other days more.

I would say that if, after all this, he splurges all his money on the first two days, then this is a great life lesson on managing money. It's not like he still won't have fun if he doesn't have any spending money left.

You can also be the voice of reason as he is contemplating buying, say, a $50 Disney hoodie, reminding him of his budget and whether it's really worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't buy soda cards, or water on the ship because Carnival let us bring 12 sodas plus water for each guest. So we brought our own onboard. As for spending money for the kids, my Grandkids, (ages 6 to 14), are selling candy bars to their friends and relatives for spending money. We go to SAMs CLUB and buy large packages of candy bars, (usually 30 in the pack) for $15. They sell them for $1-$2 each. The profit, (after paying us back for the candy bars) goes into a savings account until the cruise. Then we divide the money between them. I think this works so well, because they know the harder they work, the more spending money they will have. They also earn extra money doing odd jobs for family. (Washing cars, taking out garbage, yard work, etc.) At that rate, they will have more spending money than me!!!:p

• 1 month later...

Heck I'm 28 and if I were 15 I would not be at the bloody arcade. I would be walking the track and enjoying the food at the Windjammer MDR etc.

The arcade is a scam in my opinion. Your just giving the cash to the bank of (Insert Cruise Line here). I would much rather put the money towards a future cruise in my opinion.

Last year was the first time we gave our kids charging priviledges but we were able to put a limit on each kid. Once it was gone, it was gone. The money was a combination of their savings and with a vacation bonus ($50 each) from us. 15 yr old spent all his money in the arcade. 13yr spent some in the arcade, got one fancy drink and had $20 left over. 10 yr old spent a little in arcade, some at the candy store and brought home $68. You can tell which kid is the spender and which is the saver.

We did pay for a souviner each in port for about $20 each and they were happy with that as there wasn't much they wanted to buy. We also brought them a 12 pack of soda each which was fine for the 7 day cruise. They all like water and lemonaide and were happy with that.

This year my youngest has about $100 saved from bday/christmas money, middle has $0 saved, and oldest has plenty as he now has a real job. Should be interesting to see how much oldest plans to bring as he is the spender.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are taking our children on their frist cruise. Girl 11 and by 8. We aren't soda drinkers either so they know we won't be getting a soda card. They will have their own spending money for when we are on port to get what they want. We wil lpay for their excursions. We have them signed up on kidzeye where they take surveys and get paid, so they have let all of their survey money collect up and they are going to cash it out for the cruise. That will be how they get their spending money.

I have never heard if Kidzeyes which I am kind of shocked by because I do online surveys myself. My 8 yr old is psyched.

• 5 months later...

I have travelled a lot with the kids, we hace been cruising Since theynhave been 7 years old. Usually, inbuy them a soda card, and allow approximately 3frozen drink formthe cruises. I guess i am cheqp. I found that there is enough free stuff, with mo real need to spend extra. I found your kids, very very lucky!

Archived