Best time to book

So, DH and I are looking to book our first cruise - my question is when is the best time to buy? We are about 11 months out from our desired cruise time - will prices continue to climb? Get cheaper? Or is there really no way of knowing? :o

if you see a price you can live with, book it. The earlier you book the better choice of cabin you have. If you use a good TA, if the price drops after your have your deposit paid, but before final payment, they can usually get you the reduction.

I would recommend you book now and get your room of choice. I have always booked our cruise once the dates open up. Our TA cruise on the Liberty opened the dates this past March 15th for Oct 29, 2011, and I booked March 18, the room rates have since doubled.

There is little (but some) downside to booking as soon as you are reasonably sure you want to go. The earlier you book, the greatest choice you have of cabin selection, mealtime selection, etc. If you (or the TA) sees a price drop, you can generally get a refund for the price difference. And, if you change your mind before final payment is due, you can cancel for a full refund. We have done both (obtained refund and canceled) in the past.

The downside is that you give the cruise line your deposit and they, not you, get use of that money for the next upteen months. Also, RCCL sometimes runs specials that are only for NEW bookings. If you've already booked that ship/date, you can't just cancel and rebook to take advantage of the new deal. So you COULD miss out on some good deal; however, it's very much a supply and demand situation and there is no guaranty there will be better deals down the road.

I usually book my trips 6 months out. Have always gotten good prices and the type/location of room that I wanted. I just booked, a couple of weeks agao, a November trip on the Serenade. I've gotten one price drop and the cabin that I wanted.

Unless you are really particular about a cabin or are going during "peak" holiday/break time... I'd wait for a Tuesday sale 60 days before cruise. They no longer give you price protection and there are TONS of ships and to choose from. You could get a really great deal. When they used to offer the price protection, I would have recommended booking early. Not anymore!

Just my 2 cents.

Unless you are really particular about a cabin or are going during "peak" holiday/break time... I'd wait for a Tuesday sale 60 days before cruise. They no longer give you price protection and there are TONS of ships and to choose from. You could get a really great deal. When they used to offer the price protection, I would have recommended booking early. Not anymore!

Just my 2 cents.

We usually book 12 - 18 months in advance. The prices are usually low to start with that far out. I have been on five cruises with RCI and we have had at least one price reduction on all of them. I monitor the sales and I have never found a sale price to be lower than what I am paying. By booking so far in advance, I always seem to get the best price for that sailing.

OP, in case you aren't aware, when you book with RCI you are guaranteed the lowest rate up until final payment date. What that means is, say you book your cruise for $1000/pp. If the following week it goes to $900/pp you get the price reduction. If a month later it goes to $800, you get another reduction. This can continue many times (or not at all) until final payment date. You will not be given any price reductions after final payment date. You will have to monitor for price reductions yourself and call either RCI or your TA to have them applied. The reductions are not automatic. Some TAs will honor price reductions, some will not. If you are going to use a TA, check their policy before you book with them.

OP, in case you aren't aware, when you book with RCI you are guaranteed the lowest rate up until final payment date. What that means is, say you book your cruise for $1000/pp. If the following week it goes to $900/pp you get the price reduction. If a month later it goes to $800, you get another reduction. This can continue many times (or not at all) until final payment date. You will not be given any price reductions after final payment date. You will have to monitor for price reductions yourself and call either RCI or your TA to have them applied. The reductions are not automatic. Some TAs will honor price reductions, some will not. If you are going to use a TA, check their policy before you book with them.

Thanks for that info - that makes me feel much better about booking now!

Archived