trailer trash vacations

so i was on cruise critics reveiwing some ports of call for our up-coming 7 day on the dream on october 7th when a friend of mine said " i don't understand why you cruise they are like the trailer trash of vacations?" I can't tell you how upset i got. iI could not believe she said that needless to say i flew off the handle. i explained to her that it is not like that at all. furthermore i am able to take 2 seven day cruises a year usually a balcony for a very reasonable price. i would not be able to fly to the caribean for a week without spending at least double that. i called her a snob. was i wrong for getting so upset at her opinion? i don't see how she even can make an assumption considering she has only been on one cruise on holland to alaska with her grandmother when she was 18!!! i will say i am not blind i have noticed trashy behavior on my cruises but don't you see that on most vacays at some point?? she said she was sorry for offending me but i never heard an apology for being so close minded.

thanks for letting me vent

Opinions are like noses, everybody has one. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you but I've learned to handle that a little different. Take the high road, "Really?? Its a shame you've had to deal with that on all of your cruises. I've never seen that. We have a great time." Smile and walk away.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black...you can't label something trailer trash unless you are familiar with it...money does not buy class.

I have been on numerous cruises and numerous all inclusives and I see more less desirable behavoir at an AI than on a cruise...think about...your booze is included so people tend to drink the most they can and act like morons...

Tell your friend to stay off of cruises as your friends at CC don't want to cruise with someone like her anyway...

That was rude of her.

It's all relative. That's just her opinion. Maybe she is use to vacationing in a villa on the Mediterranean, maybe she is ignorant or maybe she just had some bad experiences. Either way she should be more considerate and not belittle your vacation choice.

Ignore it. If you are happy with cruising so be it. Sorry your friend can't find the same happiness. Most likely the reason for the comment. All that is, is snobbery.

I found on our cruise the nicest people all there to have fun. Of course you may see some questionable behavior where somewhere else you may not. You are seeing the same people all week. When you go to the beach or the mountains, you may only seen some of the people once.

I've never noticed anything valgur on the cruise. Beaches I've seen women drunk at a club or something pulling up their shirts and giving anybody that looks a shot, Guys mooning other people. Never did see any of that on a cruise.

She's been reading too many negative reviews and one post flamers on these boards:D

On Wheel the other night some one won a prize 5 day trip to Sandals in Jamaica that had a suggested retail value of $6,700:eek: That's 3 suite balcony cabin 7 dayers for 2 on any ship in the fleet.

But take a deep breath and chill a moment. Her comments are not worth ruffling your feathers over.

I have no experience cruising but during my research for my first next year, I was surprised at the amount of negative comments from various people about Carnival in general (party drunk people ships mostly). Little did I know that Carnival and Princess are the same company. I bet people who trash the line aren't aware of that.

look at it this way, the more people that have this attitude about cruising, the less passengers we have to compete with for good cabins. ;)

I find people that make remarks like that, do so out of jealousy...out of curiosity, where does this woman vacation, may I ask????

thanks to all for your rsponses i love her but she is a snob at times. and much younger than me and i take that into consideration often when she voices her opinion!!!

Sounds like what we call a 6 minute expert, thinks about something for 6 whole minutes and then knows all the answers and makes sure you know it too...:rolleyes:

I have a 'friend' who speaks horribly about Carnival. I finally asked him one day when was the last time he cruised on Carnival (knowing full well he had only cruised once, on Princess). When he answered, telling me he had never cruised on Carnival, I said "When you do, come back and then we will talk." He shut up... lol.

look at it this way, the more people that have this attitude about cruising, the less passengers we have to compete with for good cabins. ;)

I find people that make remarks like that, do so out of jealousy...out of curiosity, where does this woman vacation, may I ask????

her dad is a neuro surgeon need i say more??? money is not much of an issue for her.

her dad is a neuro surgeon need i say more??? money is not much of an issue for her.

Oh well this makes sense. Like i said it's all relative. Still it was a rude comment. If she continues to make comments like that then people will think of her as an ignorant spoiled little girl.

My sister in law said something to that effect when we invited her on the cruise we are taking IN TEN DAYS!!!! (WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!).

... Her loss.

But being that she's never been on Carnival, I don't see how she can make ANY assumptions.

Honestly, in my experience I've seen "trashy" behavior on each line I've been on. Like someone said.... Money doesn't buy class. And in some cases... money produces trash... I've seen more rude, obnoxious behavior from extremely wealthy families than your run of the mill middle class family.

The first and most important thing to do is to stop worrying about others' opinions of what you like to do. Everything else will fall into place. :)

Keep in mind that the fewer people who like to cruise means lower fares for us.

Archived