money exchange for Mexican Riviera cruise?

TwoGrills

Leaving in a few weeks on Mariner for 7 day cruise to Mexican Riviera and need to get some money exchanged before we go. Anyone know of good places in the Orange County, CA area?

Thanks...:rolleyes:

I agree. What doe you need pesos for? Unless you plan to take public transportation, you don't need them. Take small USA bills, as you will get Mexican money in change when you make purchases at shops, restaurants, tour operators, ferries, or from taxi drivers. I always take a stack of $1.00-USA bills to use for tips, etc. as well. You can use a US credit card in the nicer shops and restaurants as well.

I live in OC too, and went to the Mex Riviera in May. Although US dollars are commonly accepted, you will not get as good an exchange rate. US dollars will have a "premium" of 10-20% so whether that's an issue is up to you and how much you plan to spend. A few small shops and street vendors off the tourist grid only accepted pesos.

Check your bank's fees for using an ATM card in Mexico. There will probably be a per-transaction fee by the ATM plus your home bank's currency exchange fee. Compare that to the fee if you go to a local bank branch and get pesos.

If you bank at BofA, they have a recip agreement with Santander Bank in Mexico. You can use any SB ATM free of any fees and receive the commercial exchange rate.

I keep reading to use Pesos as they go farther than the US doller so that is why I am asking. I will check out the B of A atm thing as that sounds great. I would prefer to start off with plenty of pesos and just be ready and not have to go deal with a bank etc. I have two young kids and don't need any extra trips once off the ship.

Thanks... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Leaving in a few weeks on Mariner for 7 day cruise to Mexican Riviera and need to get some money exchanged before we go. Anyone know of good places in the Orange County, CA area?

Thanks...:rolleyes:

We got ours at Wells Fargo here in OC. I am not sure if they all have pesos or not. On our last cruise we went to Acapulco, Zihu/Ixtapa and Manzanillo. Yes, they take US $ but usually at a rate of 10 pesos per $. We did better with having pesos having got them at over 12 per $. This made one of my cousin's crazy because I was always getting a better deal than she was. Some places quoted everything in US.

Jen in SoCal

My comments about Santander Bank ATMs are using them once in Mexico. Since OP understandably doesn't want to go to an ATM at the first port that option is out.

Most banks in the US will exchange cash but you will pay about 3-5% in fees. Not all branches do foreign currency so call and make sure the branch provides the serivce and has pesos on hand (sometimes they need to order the currency).

Frankly in OC pesos are readily available; check with friends or coworkers who go back and forth. They usually would rather have the dollars than pesos. If the transaction is at the day's official exchange rate, both of you will save exchange fees.

Last comment, be sure to spend down your pesos (applies to all foreign money). Otherwise you pay another fee to convert back to dollars. A few world currencies are difficult or impossible to purchase back. Last comment, coins are never bought back.

Make sure, too, that you notify both your bank and your CC company that you are going to be in Mexico for those dates, otherwise they may deny any purchases and transactions.

ummm....I discovered this the "hard" way......:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the Mexican Riviera cruise last month on the Mariner...we didn't have any need for pesos in any of the ports, even when we took excursions to little towns and roadside places a half hour away from the pier. The couple of restaurants we went to even listed bill totals in both pesos and USD...the exchange rate was 12 to 1. DEFINITELY bring lots of ones...last thing you want when shopping for souvenirs is a $20 in your hand!

Archived