Which Specialty Restaurant on the Sun?

cruisecap

We will be on the Sun sailing March 19, 2005 - March 26, 2005. Which speciality restaurant would you recommend?

We will more than likely only try one, so we would like it to be really good. Also, do you feel that the food is that much better than the main restaurant?

Thanks

Le Bistro is the best specialty restaurant IMO. It's not so much a matter of it being better than the main dining rooms, it's that the menu is different and more upscale. They also provide "butterfly" service, where several waitstaff serve everyone at once, then lift the plate covers all at the same time. It's pretty cool.

Whether it's worth it is up to you, but you can't get service around here like that for less than $50+/plate. Just the wild mushroom soup in a bread bowl is worth it to me!

We will be on the Sun sailing March 19, 2005 - March 26, 2005. Which speciality restaurant would you recommend?

We will more than likely only try one, so we would like it to be really good. Also, do you feel that the food is that much better than the main restaurant?

Thanks

It all depends on your taste. For me some nights the specialty restaurants are far better but that is just do to my taste and the menu of the day. This was dicussed at length. A quick search found the following thread on the same subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98766&highlight=Sun+Resturants

It's hard to say, but I would have to say Le Bistro is number 1 for us; followed by the far East one if you can get seated at the Habachi table which is very hard to do as it only seats about 12 at a time. I loved the Italian restaurant but dh didn't think it was as good as the others.

NMNita

My favorite was IL Adagio. Found it to be very cozy and romantic and the best place to have a special dinner with my significant other. I did not find that same level of intimacy at Le Bistro. Guess its a matter of personal taste, the food was fine at both restaurants.

I would avoid Pacific Heights though. This is the training ground for new wait staff and the food is on par with that of the Garden Cafe.

Le Bistro is the best all-around. Be sure to order the escargot, the soup in a bowl, the filet mignon, and the fondue dessert. Oh yeah, go with an appetite. If at all possible and it is not too busy, then request the semi-round booth.

Il-Adagio is good. I ate their twice...once at a table by the window and I thought I was on an airstrip...the room is very long. The second time I got the semi-round booth and the atmosphere was better. I was there more for the company and do not really remember a particular dish as outstanding.

East Meets West was also very good. The food presentation was interesting.

Do not rule out Pacific Heights cooking light for free. Not sure if they still have it on the Sun but again, the atmosphere during the evening is very romantic compared to the daytime.

Lastly, when someone (the maitre d, food director, or other) recommends a particular dish on a particular evening, they are very accurate!

Overall, you can not go wrong with Le Bistro. Happy eating!

Coka

My favorite was IL Adagio. Found it to be very cozy and romantic and the best place to have a special dinner with my significant other. I did not find that same level of intimacy at Le Bistro. Guess its a matter of personal taste, the food was fine at both restaurants.

I would avoid Pacific Heights though. This is the training ground for new wait staff and the food is on par with that of the Garden Cafe.

By way of summarising much that I've already said before, I'd agree with every word of this, and would highly recommend that Il Adagio and Le Bistro should be top of the list.

And just to underline newmexicoNita's post about the teppanyaki: If you're interested in it, but can't get a place by the grill, don't bother. Try it another evening.

IIRC, there's an all-you-can-eat sushi lunch at least once in the week. If you like sushi, this might be the thing to do rather than a dinner time thing. Or else you could combine sushi and tapas at different times one evening - neither is really satisfying enough to be a full meal but between them might be enough grazing options during a busy evening.

We ate at both Le Bistro and Il Adagio (keep in mind this was April 2002). Il Adagio was our favorite. Much more intimate, as another poster mentioned. The caesar salad (made table-side) and shrimp scampi were incredible. Enjoy-- I am jealous! -KBG

We enjoyed the Le Bistro on our recent cruise in November. For sure order the escargo, after eating the main course of filet mignon, we were to full for the chocolate fondu. From what I have been told its excellent, we should have ordered it anyway. Next time we won't pass it up.

Good - I, for one, won't much miss Pacific Heights.

Think I have to agree: I won't much miss Pacific Heights either, but it was a nice change with on additional cost and for healthy cuisine it wasn't bad: still would gladly say GOOD BYE PH and stay with us East meets West.

nmnita

Can anyone tell me what the cost are for the resturants on the NCL cruiselines? I have read that many speciality ones are not included in the price of the cruise and are only reservations only. Does anyone know the names and costs of the resturants? also is it worth the extra $ Thanks! :)

Can anyone tell me what the cost are for the resturants on the NCL cruiselines? I have read that many speciality ones are not included in the price of the cruise and are only reservations only. Does anyone know the names and costs of the resturants? also is it worth the extra $ Thanks! :)
The information as at the end of October 2004 is in my Norwegian Sun key data post.

The speciality restaurants are not necessarily reservation only, but as they do take reservations they often get fully booked. But if you happen to want to go to one, and they happen to have space, you can get in.

Whether they're worth the extra money is very much a matter of personal opinion. Some people think so, some people think not. If you read this and other threads about the restaurants, you'll get a feel for the sort of views that people have about them.

Archived