which airport to use if sailing out of cape liberty

el2001mail

we arrive at 530pm one day before embarkation. which airport do you recommend if we are sailing out of cape liberty? i think newark airport is the closest in distance.

if we choose to fly into new york --

which airport do you recommend?

which airport easiest to get to cruise port?

which airport if we wanted to do something in the evening of arrival?

which airport has a regular shuttle to cape liberty WITHOUT RESERVATIONS?

thanks for all replies.

we arrive at 530pm one day before embarkation. which airport do you recommend if we are sailing out of cape liberty? i think newark airport is the closest in distance.

if we choose to fly into new york --

which airport do you recommend? Newark

which airport easiest to get to cruise port? Newark

which airport if we wanted to do something in the evening of arrival?

which airport has a regular shuttle to cape liberty WITHOUT RESERVATIONS? There are no shuttles from the airport. You can perhaps arrange something through the cruise line (expensive) or stay at Country Inns (set shuttle time), but most folks get a car service or take a cab.

thanks for all replies.

The answers don't really change. It's all a balance of time, money and stress. If you want to do something in NYC, then fly into LaGuardia, pay the $35 to go into Manhattan, pay for a NY hotel room ($250), and pay for a shuttle to Cape Liberty ($85-100) and the $125 to return back to LGA. If you stay at a Newark hotel, you can take a cab to Newark Penn Station ($25) and the train to Manhattan ($5/pp), but you should pick your hotel carefully. What date are you talking about?

if you want a shutte the country inn, otherwise, check my blog...there are lots.

the area around the airport is kind of ugly but there are some decent places.

i tend to stick with the Country inn or the Courtyard or Residence Inn by marriott in EWR/Elizabeth (on glimcher realty way adjacent to the country inn)

At least with those hotels there is an IHOP in the parking lot and a lousy ruby tuesday, plus an outlet mall across the street.

Cab/car service will be 45-50 from any of the hotels....

SKIP the best western and days inn, also i am not big on the Wyndham. The Hilton and Hampton are fine as is the EWR Marriott, the OTHER Courtyard, Fairfield Inn and Springhill suites...

It looks like Country Inns (2 1/2*) is on Hotwire for 9/11 at $68 ($87 incl tax). The Marriott hotels are looking pricey for that date (sorry Meg). The Hilton Airport is $87 ($102 incl tax). The Ramada is out there on reservetravel through Kayak.com at an amazing $43 ($48 incl tax) - this used to be a Holiday Inn, but changed to a Ramada about 6 months ago. I stayed there a year ago and it was fine. Supposedly a 3* but I'd give it a 2 1/2* - this would be the best "budget" choice at an airport where you have to be careful of the budget choices. Anyway, I'd probably take a chance on Hotwire. There are no guarantees, but Country Inns is the only 2 1/2* (and it's a very nice 2 1/2*) with the listed amenities on Hotwire. It is also next to the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Bottom line is that these are all airport hotels, not destination resorts. They are what they are - transient accommodations.

no worries carol!

i wonder if the ramada is still decent??? that's a great rate but ramadas out here tend to be rather icky...it WAS a holiday inn, now it is a ramada and a ramada plaza...2 buildings, 2 hotels, same place...and when it was a holiday inn it was just 1 place..

Archived