What to do on a budget?

bri79

Will be in Grand Cayman in just over 2 weeks, and we were wondering what to plan considering we are on a really tight budget.

Definatly want to get to the beach, and have looked at several that seem really nice. Just wondering if there is a beach we could go to and just rent a mask and fins for a few dollars?

Also wanted to know if we could just sight-see and maybe shop a tiny bit (or visit a market) other than at the port?

Also dont mind a short taxi ride, but am not interested in any day trip far away, or sitting in a vehicule for too long. any suggestions?

Cayman is a good place on a budget. On our Western Caribbean cruise last week, we booked no excursions, just too expensive.

We took a cab (actually bus) to Cemetery Beach - it was $10. They do not rent snorkel gear there, we had our own, but it is a nice beach.

Or you could take the same cab to 7 mile, and not snorkel at all.

They do rent snorkle gear at Eden's rock, and no cab is required. Just walk from the pier.

Eden's rock has no beach and you enter the water via ladder. You may need to be just a bit more experienced at snorkling to do this, but it still is not to hard.

As far as shopping, there are quite a few stores in and around the port area, no cab required.

I will tell you that GC is one of the more expensive islands to visit. It is not like St. Thomas or Cozumel. Very British. but you can walk around the port without too much trouble, going to Eden rock is an easy walk. There will also be lots of taxis out at the pier and you could negotiate with one of them for a tour. East side of the island is beautiful and few people go over there.

You could take a public bus up to seven mile beach, go to one of the public beaches there and have a nice day.

Cayman is a good place on a budget. On our Western Caribbean cruise last week, we booked no excursions, just too expensive.

We took a cab (actually bus) to Cemetery Beach - it was $10. They do not rent snorkel gear there, we had our own, but it is a nice beach.

Or you could take the same cab to 7 mile, and not snorkel at all.

They do rent snorkle gear at Eden's rock, and no cab is required. Just walk from the pier.

Eden's rock has no beach and you enter the water via ladder. You may need to be just a bit more experienced at snorkling to do this, but it still is not to hard.

As far as shopping, there are quite a few stores in and around the port area, no cab required.

Public transportation is only a couple of blocks from the tenderdock. We took a van to Cemetary Beach for $2 or $3. When you are ready to leave just walk out to the road. Give the vans a wave when they honk and they will stop for you. Great, cheap way to get around.

Cabbing it to 7 Mile is probably your best budget-friendly bet (though I'd agree with no snorkeling). Although I'd plan to go and leave before eating. Food (and everything else) is outrageous in GC (we had 4 sandwiches, 2 sodas, a beer and a frozen drink on 7 Mile at the Reef Grill and the tab was $70+ tip). Also, don't plan on doing much shopping there as the high prices apply to that area as well.

Honestly, I'd say to prepare yourself that "budget" and "Grand Cayman" don't mix well or easily in the same sentence.

Was at Cayman 2 weeks ago. Got off tender and there were lots of folks with signs. We found one to public beach next to calico jacks and paid $5 per person. There are covered tables there and it's not as crowded as a few yards down the beach. We had our own snorkel gear but the people with us rented it for $10 down by calico jacks. We walked up the beach about 150 yards and found some great snorkeling, not as great as the barrier reef. Lots of cabs back to the pier.

We prefer to eat on the ship, although the Grand Caymans is one of the islands I would not be afraid to eat in restaurants. If you have breakfast, then leave the ship and wander through some of the shops, then go to the beach, you can come back and have a late lunch on the ship to save the expense. Your only expense will be the cab and rental of snorkel gear. I love GC and feel safer than on any other island to walk around and explore or to get in whatever cab arrives. That's not the case on all of the islands in the Caribbean (ie Jamaica).

We bring our own snorkle gear. I do not trust others on how clean they are. For a small amount you can buy them, kmart, drug store or any sport shop. You don't need fins but they do help. Take the city bus for $2.50 to Cemetary beach. I pack a cooler from the ship or if you walk 10 minutes up past cheese burger reef( burger king) there is a grocery store for chips, drinks ect on the right side of the road. You can go in the water at Cheese burger-the biggerst fish I have ever swam with. Google Tarpons! HUGE fish!!! You can walk here from the ship-7 minutes walk maybe. Turn left from the gates and walk past all the water front stores. Free to enter the water, snorkle ect. Remember this is not a beach but a small water spot to enter the water. For a beach go to Cementary-no bathrooms just a beach. I have been to G.C and spent zero! or $5 round trip to Cementary beach. I don't need all the extras.

Good luck and enjoy

Archived