Private tour-Salerno-Positano-Sorrento-Capri

joanne59

We are in the process of booking a private tour with only 12 hours docked in Salerno. A driver will pick us up and we will drive along the coast to Positano, then to the ferry in Sorrento over to Capri. It seems like it should work with the time limits. Any comments or suggestions much appreciated...thanks

Happy cruising...Joanne

One major faux pas, when planning a visit to Capri, is not allowing sufficient time to enjoy the island. Keep in mind that once you arrive on Capri you need to take the funicular up to Capri Town. If there a few cruise ships in the region (Naples will often have multiple ships in the summer) you can expect a queue to get that funicular back down to Marina Grande to catch a return ferry. If planning to take a funicular down at 3pm or later you need to allow 45 min to be safe. We also like to enjoy going to Anacapri (a 15 min bus ride from Capri Town) and taking the chair lift to the top of the mountain (amazing views). This excursion requires at least 1 1/2 hours. As to the drive from Salerno to Sorrento, assuming you plan on taking the scenic Amalfi Drive (a must) it will take at least 1:40 (more in traffic) one-way. There is a faster autostrade route (not nearly as nice) that takes about 1:15. These times do not include and stops for places like Positano and Ravello (these are both fantastic places). Having spent quite a lot of time in this region we do not think it is a good idea to combine Capri with the Amalfi Coast. Just spending a day on the Amalfi Drive enjoying Salerno, Amalfi, Ravello, and Positano would be a nice day. Adding Sorrento is also possible although it does take time away from the other places.

Hank

Thanks Hank, we have found that we will only be driving one way, then taking the high speed ferry directly from Capri back to Salerno. Also, we don't want to miss Capri because our son proposed to his wife on that beautiful island and having come so far, we will make the effort to see a bit of the island. I believe we will only be stopping in Positano along the coastal drive. In an effort to get to the island, we will skip the remaining small towns along the way. We are not big shoppers and don't really spend time in churches and museums. A bite to eat and a bit of walking around and we usually are satisfied. Having lived in Europe when we were younger, it is easier for us to single out a few destinations and stick to a plan. I think on these port intensive cruises, it's pretty much the only way to take it all in.

Happy cruising...Joanne

We certainly do understand your desire to get to Capri. We really love to spend a full day on this island and always return on every visit to the Amalfi Coast (we like to stay in the village of Praiano a few miles from Positano). Churches and museums were certainly not in our thoughts since this is not the attraction of this region. However, the views and charm of Ravello are certainly worth the detour if your schedule gives you enough time.

Hank

Thanks again for all your positive feedback. This trip is still a work in progress, what would we do without the help of our fellow cruise lovers? Unless you are in the position to take cruises and land trips, you never get a full taste of these wonderful countries. Time does not allow for us to do that right now. Until we are retired, these cruises are the next best thing for us. It is fun to return from these trips with a list of places we hope to someday travel to again and experience all that they have to offer at a much slower pace. Through my Italian ancestry, I actually have the opportunity to become an Italian citizen...who knows, maybe someday I will spend a portion of my remaining years living there. Having never been there before, I look forward to falling in love with the country, as so many visitors do, who have gone before me.

Happy cruising...Joanne

Archived