January weather

natmarie

We did the same cruise a year and a half ago. We went the first week in January 09'. The ports were warm, but on one day a stormy wind came up and it was chilly in the afternoon in Mazatlan. We didn't go swimming.

At sea it was too coolish to even go out on the deck much. There was absolutely nobody laying out by the pool.

We were upgraded to a balcony cabin on the cruise but it didn't get much use. In port it was nice to sit out on the balcony as they pulled out. Other times at sea it was just to cool to enjoy the balcony.

Weather issues can come up anytime, However In hindsight my opinion is that January doesn't make the best time to visit the Mexican Riviera. It would go in the spring or fall.

Thank you for this. This is the second to the last time this ship sails out of Long Beach and then it leaves for the East Coast (or somewhere) At any rate, we wanted to catch it before it does.

We were on the Sapphire Princess last Jan and except for the last day and half when we ran into that freaking storm coming down from LA, we had great weather!!! We were swimming in the pools the first sea day, it was quite arm and I got sunburnt with 30 sunblock and after that it got hot quickly. Second seaday the balcony got hot quickly and I had to go back into the AC room.

When we returned to the ship in Mazatlan the captain came onto warn about the upcoming storm and we would not be stopping in Cabo because after Cabo they were expecting 24++ waves and the ship would have to go ultra slow.

We woke up the next day and it was still sunny so we went to the pools and about lunchtime the clouds rolled in and suddenly I felt water.....thought it was rain but it was the start of the spray from the high waves.That night while eating the waves hit the 6th floor of the dining room, we all jumped..Made for a roller coaster (and chilly) ride back to port. :eek:

We went end of January and we had cold weather the first and last day (sailing in and out of Long Beach) ... Other than that, the weather was sunny and warm the entire time we were there - High 80's and beautiful ! Plus, it's a good time to go if you want to see whales ... We saw LOTS of them :D !

I think weather can be hit or miss ... Luck of the draw, I guess - All you can do is hope for the best ;).

Jackie

• 1 month later...
Cruising January 2011 to the Mexican Riviera. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like? Is it similar to February weather? Warm enough for snorkeling in Cabo?

Done this cruise3 times before same time December, January

1st day chilly going down, second day warming by third day great weather and temps. Water temp also good, not chilly but, refreshing. Last day coming back usually rockiest and cool to cold depending on SoCal weather.

cheers

Our favorite time of year to go to Cabo. Not as crowded. It's nice enough to lay on the beach and get sunburned. I don't like cold water and we always go in the water when we are there so you know it's gotta be warm. Been in Jan, Feb and November. Sea days are chilly but actually being in Cabo when the US is cold...wonderful!

Archived