Packing Style...differences between men and women??

5326jan

DH picks out his own clothes and then I cross pack our two medium bags. My cross packing is the last minute check to see if he forgot anything, but he's usually pretty good and he does have a list to check off. He always has a last minutes shopping trip needed though because he tries things on while he packs. I have my excel form that I fill in with my outfits and I pack everything else except his shaving stuff and meds, then I take his meds in my carry-on bag/purse.

My dad is the one who packs for my mom. Otherwise, my mom would take 1 pair of shorts and 2 tee shirts. My dad also is the official ironer in the household, after my mom burned many of his shirts. He is also the one who puts everything in the suitcase for them. He just does it neater than my mom. Then again, my dad also buys most of my mom's clothes, he picks them out, she tries on what she likes, and then he returns the rest. My mother hates shopping, my dad loves it, and if it weren't for my dad, she would still be walking around in clothes older than me.

If I didn't pack for my DH, he would, honestly, wear the same shorts all week. He might think to pack a few t-shirts and swim trunks and then wonder where his suit/tux is on formal night!

We've been married 22 years and our compromise is this - I pack everything for the cruise (while he takes care of other things - car, house, etc.) and he packs us up for the trip home. We use those space bags, and he is really good at compacting them and everything else so it fits back in the suitcases. I don't care if stuff gets wrinkled or which case it's in, and he loves being able to get us ready for the trip home.

I pack all of the suitcases - and by that, I mean I put the things in it. I expect DH to know how many pairs of underwear and socks he needs, so I make sure he got them out. He picks his casual wear. I select his formal wear if we are doing that. I also make all of the selections for DS. SO, I essentially do the packing for 2.5 people. But we have all we need..... I make excel spreadsheets for all the different packing scenarios: cruise, long weekend, NASCAR trip, driving vacation (working on this one now).

A girl after my own heart. So good to know that I'm not the only one that puts it all into a spreadsheet. :D and a NASCAR fan too!!!!!

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

OK...I'm more like you on that one..!

I've already started a mental note as to what to pack for our October sailing, and I'll start laying clothes out 2-3 weeks in advance, editing and adding to the pile throughout that time!!

I also pack for my partner of 18 years....I tell him what he needs to pick out: (3 shorts, 1 long slack, etc...)

The only time I ever let him pack for us, we were wearing dirty clothes two days into a 5 day trip to Puerto Rico...that was back in 1996, and I have not let him pack since!!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Wardrobe in general is just much simpler for men. We live in the south, so DH usually wears a short sleeved polo shirt and khaki pants year round (Khaki shorts and somtimes a T-Shirt instead of a polo in summer). In summer, he might wear a button down woven shirt in a Hawaiian or other print. This wardrode is appropriate 95% of the time. So packing is easy - a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of long pants, and lots of shirts. Everything goes together. Throw in one pair of dark slacks, a dress shirt and tie and he is ready. Dressier than that, he'll rent a tux (I think he's done that twice in five years. He has one suit and one sport coat that he's worn once or twice in four or five years.)

Much easier than women's choices.

Archived