Which would you choose?

Been looking for hotels in Vancouver BC

I love Historic lodging, we will be spending 2 nights before our cruise.

Have narrowed it down to these two, what do you think? or do you have a different idea?

The Victorian Hotel - http://www.victorianhotel.ca/index.html

The Sylvia Hotel - http://www.sylviahotel.com/index.htm

Thank you in advance for your "FYI's"

Jan

They are two completely different hotels and locations.

The Hotel Vancouver is a historic, downtown hotel operated by Fairmont. It is a great hotel in every sense. It is on transportation routes, close to shopping and all downtown attrations.

The Sylvia is also a historic hotel located on English Bay in Vancouver's dense, highrise, residential neighbourhood known as the West End. It is a lovely hotel which has been family operated for at least 3 generations that I know of. While close to Stanley Park its location is a bit off for other things that you may care to see or do.

It's a very tough decision as I like both of them...but I think I would lean towards the Hotel Vancouver.

Putterdude

Two totally different feeling locations, both work for pre-cruise

We plan on spending our first day in Vancouver in Stanley Park then we will be off to Whistler & Grouse Mountain the next and just touring around downtown in the morning before we board.

One a bit more relaxed the other in the middle of things.

Not quite sure which I want, am hoping folks who have staid at either one might help me with my decision.

Did not know Hotel Vancouver is operated by Fairmont, missed that some how.

Supporting a family owned Hotel is a nice.

So that is one vote for the Hotel Vancouver so far

Hold on a sec PD - they are asking about the Victorian hotel which is located on Pender around Homer street - it might look nice on the outside but you and I both know the area around that hotel isn't on the too many people must visit lists so while it has been renovated not sure that I would want to recommend a stay there.

The Sylvia on the other hand is right on English Bay - a little further from large shopping but close to Denman and all its ma and pa shops - both the Hop on and Hop off and Big Bus stop practically outside.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Urban trekker thanks for the double check & Putterdude for the re-vote.

Good to know about the neighborhoods

So, my first instinct to stay that the Sylvia was best?

Is there another Hotel we should be considering?

So now its 2 Votes for the Sylvia Hotel

Looks like we will book the Sylvia Hotel, could use a few more votes folks

Has anyone staid at the Sylvia?

I have never stayed in the Sylvia but have been in a few rooms, they have been tastefully updated.

We have seem a few good reports on the St. Regis link recently but for my money I would be at the Sylvia.

Off topic, we used to vacation a lot up in Kimberly, BC and there was a young man from your area who played the accordion and he used to spend the summer up there playing in the various restaurants. His family owned a service station in either Boring or Sandy....ring any bells?

He is a great guy and still plays

Is one of the headliners at the Sandy Oktoberfest!

They own Shorty's Corner just past Sandy on your way to Mt Hood

But they live in the Boring area and are the nicest folks.

I will tell him I met a fan on CC, He will just love that.

Small world, he used to win the accordion competitions up in Kimberley year in and year out...I think he may ran into some immigration issues as he used to stay for the summer and shall we say was all but employed; that I suspect that that may have ruffled some feathers. We got to know him and his mom and dad so well that they very kindly invited us to what I think was their 40th wedding anniversary in the The Old Bauernhaus. Please do say hello to him for us.

Putterdude - I will tell him you said Hi.

LeftcoastBC - thank you for the FYI & Vote #3 for the Sylvia Hotel

thank you for helping, love historic hotels, but web photos can be very old, so its good to get a person perspective from someone who has been there

Archived