Why are there only giant ships....

I so want to take a 7 day RCCL cruise from Florida to anywhere in the Caribbean and have been priced out because I can't afford to take my family on a Freedom or Oasis class ship. Waaaaaaaaa. just needed to whine a little before I start choosing my Carnival cruise for next summer. Oh well, I've never been on a bad cruise Carnival or Royal :D

Amy

I so want to take a 7 day RCCL cruise from Florida to anywhere in the Caribbean and have been priced out because I can't afford to take my family on a Freedom or Oasis class ship. Waaaaaaaaa. just needed to whine a little before I start choosing my Carnival cruise for next summer. Oh well, I've never been on a bad cruise Carnival or Royal :D

Amy

I just loved the Freedom Of The Seas! I am sad for you if you will not be able to enjoy that kind of vacation.

Unless your vacation dates are severely limited and you have little or no flexibility, you should be able to find a cruise on one of RCI's large ships at prices that are competitive with most anything that Carnival or any other line offers out of Florida. It may take a bit of research to find them but they are definitely there and frequently there are sales which may reveal even bigger bargains.:)

No to mention Radiance won't be sailing from TPA next summer which is when the OP is looking to travel.

But the Jewel will, which is still a Radiance class ship. However, she will only be doing 4 and 5 day cruises as well.

But the Jewel will, which is still a Radiance class ship. However, she will only be doing 4 and 5 day cruises as well.
I think Jewel will be doing cruises in TPA from Fall, 2011 through Spring, 2012. I think she is Europe for the summer.

Actually neither the Radiance nor the Jewel will be cruising out of Tampa during the summer. They will be in Alaska and Europe respectively as things currently stand. As long as it is more profitable to sail in Europe or Alaska during the summer months, RCI and most other lines will continue to redeploy their ships to locations far from Florida during the summer months.:)

How about a b2b on the Majesty out of Miami?

Ditto, one of our favorite cruises was our Majesty B2B, we loved it. We made diamond with that cruise too:D I think the first leg cost us $149 pp interior cabin(3 day) and the second leg(4 day) was $279 pp :confused: but still a bargain and we liked that we could see what we missed in Nassau on the second leg. We were able to get same cabin for both also.

Amy

I'd love to try Liberty but I want at least 4 port stops in 7 days. None of the large ships seem to offer that. I could do 8 days and get 4 stops but I want 4 in 7 like the Princess ships offer. What's with that?

Someday I'll try Carnival out, I'm afraid though because their ships just don't look as pretty.

I'd love to try Liberty but I want at least 4 port stops in 7 days. None of the large ships seem to offer that. I could do 8 days and get 4 stops but I want 4 in 7 like the Princess ships offer. What's with that?

Someday I'll try Carnival out, I'm afraid though because their ships just don't look as pretty.

San Juan, my favorite departure port, is the place to go to if you want 4 stops in 7 days on RCI. And they are real ports of call not private stops like Labadee and Coco Cay.

Freedom Western has 4 stops on a 7 nite cruise. You stop at Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Freedom Western has 4 stops on a 7 nite cruise. You stop at Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Right now, I believe both Liberty and Freedom do the 4-port Western itinerary. I think the Liberty is being redeployed to Europe next year after the Allure home ports in Pt Everglades, though.

As a fellow FL resident, I can understand the frustration over RCI's costs. We were looking at cruises last May (2009), and found regular rates as low as $400 on a 7-night W Caribbean cruise on the Valor. When booking our cabin (inside GTY) on the FoS for this past June, comparable Carnival sailings were $200-300 cheaper per person. That's a lot. We decided on the FoS because we preferred its itinerary with the extra port and because we wanted to try a Freedom-class ship, though--for us, it was worth the extra.

We have noticed what previous posters have suggested - RCI's three and four-night cruises out of Miami and Pt Everglades are more comparable to (if not cheaper than!) Carnival's short cruises.

Thanks for the input. We are limited to June or July next year due to school and babysitter issues for our special needs child. Maybe the lottery will come through for us and we can spend and extra $1200 on the cruise itself.

Thanks again for letting me vent. :0)

Amy

I feel the same way. I want smaller ships, and longer itineraries with more islands, not the same old thing. We always cruise from San Juan, because that is the only way to not have more than 1 sea day and be on a smaller ship. I don't like large ship, so I am excited to be trying new lines after our B2B.

Thanks for the input. We are limited to June or July next year due to school and babysitter issues for our special needs child. Maybe the lottery will come through for us and we can spend and extra $1200 on the cruise itself.

Badge,

If it helps, June usually is cheaper than July. However, we noticed that prices for next summer are high. We're going on the FoS in April (already a high period), but prices for late June/early July were $600 more than what we were paying for April. That means that a PR room in June was costing roughly $1200/person. Yikes! :eek: Would your child's spring break vacation be feasible?

I'm very surprised at prices this year. Last year I did the Liberty, first week of Nov., and it was just over $400/person, which is insane. This year, I'm not finding anything lower than about $550, $600.

YES I KNOW that's still ridiculously cheap. But not as compared to last year. Maybe it's because I booked later in the year last year. No idea when, but it definitely wasn't as early as July. Hmmm....

As I'm writing this I can't remember if you're wanting to go out of a Florida port or not but what about the Serenade or of the Adventure of the Seas? They go out of San Juan, which airfare is more expensive, however, they do 4 ports in 7 days, or at least the Serenade does, but we just did that cruise the latter part of May and early June, it was so much fun!

As I'm writing this I can't remember if you're wanting to go out of a Florida port or not but what about the Serenade or of the Adventure of the Seas? They go out of San Juan, which airfare is more expensive, however, they do 4 ports in 7 days, or at least the Serenade does, but we just did that cruise the latter part of May and early June, it was so much fun!

The OP wants to cruise from Florida.

As for me, I have booked Serenade from SJ, and those cruise to 5 ports in 7 days, which is better than 4, especially since the pool deck situation on that class of ship is wanting.

Perfect for me would be for Enchantment to lose the trampoline, put a mini golf course in it's place and put a movie screen at one end of it's glorious pool deck. Oh, that and move back to FLL for 7 nighters. I'd be on her tomorrow (or actually next spring, before hurricane season). :)

Amy

dont get me wrong , I love apple and I love royal

but they are both arrogant :cool:

Thanks for the thoughts. I wish we could consider spring break but our "super sitter" is a teacher in a different county and their spring break is different then ours. As far as leaving from San Juan, we would love to but the airfare pretty much leaves that out. Like I said, maybe the lottery will come through or the city will decide to give it's "men in blue" a huge raise :D before next summer.

Thanks,

Amy

Archived