Volos Greece and the Meterora monasteries

stipmom

We just returned from a trip on the Azamara Quest. The tour description turned alot of people off as they said it was a winding narrow staircase with many steps. The staircase was not that narrow. It easily was the width of two people and there was a handrail available. The Monasteries were amazing.

We were there on a strike day but were told most of the strikes were just effecting Athens.

We will be in Piraeus Port from 8:00 a.m. til 6:00 p.m. We would like to arrange a daytrip to Meteora and the monasteries, as that is one region in which we have not traveled. Is this a good idea with only 10 hours available? Is there a tour company fellow travelers can recommend for this daytrip?

It is not possible to do Meteora in a one-day port stop from Piraeus. The distance is 4-5 hours from Athens -- not sure if it's slightly more or less from Piraeus, but either way there is clearly no time to see anything before you'd have to return to the ship.

Even in Athens they do not offer any one-day tours (and they could start earlier and return later). It has to be done as an overnight. Plus, there are several monasteries there, each of which needs some time to see properly.

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning our shore excursion (Pacific Princess) in Volos in Ausust & are considering visiting the Monasteries of Meteora. However, we have some concerns about the STAIRS. How challenging are the stairs for a 60 year old not in tip top shape?

Walking is not a problem, nor is a normal flight of stairs. However, the descriptions make the STAIRS to the Monasteries sound a lot more challenging.

Can you give us a more detailed description as to how challenging the stairs up to the monasteries are?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My cruise ship docks in Volos, and I have been looking into private tour offerings from Volos to Meteora. I have found a few, but I have also received a recommendation from an operator out of Athens to just wait until I arrive in the Volos port and hire a taxi to take me to Meteora.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this with success, or has an idea of the number of taxis available at the port and the expected price to pay to hire a taxi for the day (and travel to/from Meteora). I'm hoping to find an option that is less expensive than the cruise ship's offering and the private tour offerings that I have found, which are not much better.

Thanks!

Hi,

My cruise ship docks in Volos, and I have been looking into private tour offerings from Volos to Meteora. I have found a few, but I have also received a recommendation from an operator out of Athens to just wait until I arrive in the Volos port and hire a taxi to take me to Meteora.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this with success, or has an idea of the number of taxis available at the port and the expected price to pay to hire a taxi for the day (and travel to/from Meteora). I'm hoping to find an option that is less expensive than the cruise ship's offering and the private tour offerings that I have found, which are not much better.

Thanks!

The problem with Meteora from Volos is that it is about 2 hours away. Hiring a taxi would be expensive too and you wouldn't have the advantage of a guide. You might be able to get together with others on you roll call to split the cost of a private tour. We almost always do everything on our own but we did take the ship tour to Meteora because that seemed the best option.

Archived