black and white formal night , I have'nt got black or white dress

ggirl28

will I feel an outcast.

Leaving this Saturday , Oceana,and really have no time to shop.

Well you are lucky, you will be able to purchase one on the ship, and if you are even luckier, a husband partner or new friend will buy it for you.;)

Isn't cruising wonderful:D Enjoy Oceana.

Regards

Cb

Hi there, we are off on our first P&O cruise in 2 weeks, not new to cruising, just new to P&O.

I asked a friend who has 20 odd P&O cruises under her belt and she said she never wears black and white and never feels out of place. I am taking her word for it;) I have never come across more fashion police than I have found on various P&O forums, totally bizarre:rolleyes:

Have a wonderful cruise and I am sure you will look knock-out whatever you wear:)

Sue

Hi there' date=' we are off on our first P&O cruise in 2 weeks, not new to cruising, just new to P&O.

I asked a friend who has 20 odd P&O cruises under her belt and she said she never wears black and white and never feels out of place. I am taking her word for it;) I have never come across more fashion police than I have found on various P&O forums, totally bizarre:rolleyes:

Have a wonderful cruise and I am sure you will look knock-out whatever you wear:)

Sue[/size']

I think 'fashion police' is rather harsh. It is just that many feel that the 'tradition' is what makes cruising special, and they wish to see it maintained.

Regards

Cb

The black and white night is a very special night! Its worth splashing out honest!!! I have a new one for my next cruise in January and cant wait to wear it!!! A plain black dress would be fine but i didnt see many people in coloured dresses to be honest!:)

Angie

x

I don't mind in the least what anybody wears, but since you asked may I say that my MIL didn't know there was a B&W evening (she was travelling with her parents who had made all the arrangements), she only had a grey dress and she DID feel rather self-conscious as she said the vast majority were in B&W. This was on Ventura.

If you worry about what you are wearing you will not enjoy yourself. The main thing about a holiday is to enjoy yourself. Last year we were on Artemis, first time with pando. If I remember correctly I wore a black dress with bronze beading. I had purchased the dress because I liked it, not so I had something b/w for that evening. You have 3 options ,buy an outfit on board, buy something ashore or wear what you have (but don't worry). My husband has a white DJ . Read all the comments on here about men wearing white dj/tux outside the tropics. He has never been mistaken for a waiter , he likes being different, and has never worried about his choices.The main thing I think is to dress smartly, colour not so important.

If you worry about what you are wearing you will not enjoy yourself. The main thing about a holiday is to enjoy yourself. Last year we were on Artemis, first time with pando. If I remember correctly I wore a black dress with bronze beading. I had purchased the dress because I liked it, not so I had something b/w for that evening. You have 3 options ,buy an outfit on board, buy something ashore or wear what you have (but don't worry). My husband has a white DJ . Read all the comments on here about men wearing white dj/tux outside the tropics. He has never been mistaken for a waiter , he likes being different, and has never worried about his choices.The main thing I think is to dress smartly, colour not so important.

Exactly. Either buy a simple black dress, or a dressy white top to go with some black trousers, or decide that you will ignore the theme and stop worrying about it. Nobody will say anything, and nobody whose opinion matters will care!

Black and white is so easy to wear, most people have a black dress or black trousers, and can find a white top or white accessories. Its one night, the most formal of formal nights, I can't understand why some what to rebel instead of enjoying the evening. On my first cruise I went out and found a white wrap and wore with a black dress job done, added a white rose to a black handbag... its not rocket science or expensive to do.

I can only assume ladies who wear red or orange or any other colour want the attention, cause you will get it wearing other strong colours on b&w night. Thats a obvious fact, if it weren't we wouldn't even be discussing it now.

You may get something very nice from one of the many charity shops. That way you have a new outfit and helping a good cause. Enjoy every minute of every day.

Alternatively - look at hiring! Plenty of good 'quality' hire-shops around these days!

If you don't have time to shop (as per your original post) & don't already have a black dress, skirt or trousers that would meet the formal requirements (my black trousers I wear for work - they are NOT formal:), my black skirt is worn on informal & casual nights - why would I want to lose the opportunity to wear one of my stunning formal dresses to an informal outfit:confused:)

- Ask the question which would make you feel you stand out more - not in black/White, but dressed formally or dressed in black (or white) but dressed more casually. Then go with what you are more comfortable in.

For example, before I had a formal black dress, or when I sent it to the cleaners (this was on QE2) before knowing B&W was the next night, I wore my favourite deep (dark, not bright) purple dress - it was formal, it didn't "Stand out", I was comfortable. (By the way I was usually travelling alone - I most definitely did not want to rebel or stand out in any way!)

The main thing (other than meeting the dress requirements in the best way you can obviously;)) is to enjoy your holiday

Have a great time - Oceana is a lovely ship:D

It is not that I want to rebel or stand out. I just have not got the money to buy another dress (and no I do not have a black dress already).

No I agree don't buy another dress , what about black trousers and a white or cream top?

Whatever you wear, have a great time. If you feel uncomfortable in another colour you could always give the main restaurant a miss that night - it's your holiday so whatever you are comfortable with is what's important.

I know i have already replied once to this post but in my opinion drsesing up on all nights especially the formal nights made our first cruise!!! It was great to see everyone making the effort and looking glamourous!! Made me feel proud to be British and sailing with P & O. Everyone on our cruise looked stunning. As previous posters have said black and white is so easy to wear and it just keeps the tradition of cruising!! I have bought four new long dresses for my next cruise - not expensive i might add, and cannot wait to wear them!!! Roll on 31st Jan 2011 !!!!:D My new black and white dress is from T K Maxx and cost £60.00 and is stunning!!! Better than the £250.00 i bought from Karen Millen for my last black and white evening!!!

Angie

x

You may get something very nice from one of the many charity shops. That way you have a new outfit and helping a good cause. Enjoy every minute of every day.

One of my favourite evening dresses came from a charity shop...a black one...I`ve worn it time and time again....you can pick up some real bargains !

What colour dress might you wear that night? Could you accessorise it with black and/or white wrap, jewellery, shoes, bag, hair clip, flower or whatever?

I wore a purple dress on my first b&w night on Arcadia as I do not own any black clothes at all, no black dress, trousers or skirt, nothing. It is not a colour that suits me and I never buy it. I certainly don't think you should feel you have to miss dinner that evening for the sake of a colour, I didn't.

Having said all that, as we were going on Ventura last Christmas I did buy (from Grattan, £40) one new long dress in a very striking all-over swirly black and white print, then spent several Sundays sewing white sequins and gold bugle beads all over the pattern to brighten it up. I wore it with a pearl and jet necklace I bought on Isla Margerita and I'm quite pleased with it, it looks great with a tan.

Just wear what you know you look good in and don't worry, and have a wonderful cruise.

Carol x

My daughter in law is on her first cruise soon and she does have a black dress but, as others on here have suggested, she intends to use accessories to make it "different" for each formal. Whatever colour your frock us I'm sure you can do the same. Enjoy Oceana!

Archived