Quality on Arcadia

Fleetwood15

Hi, has anyone here been on Arcadia recently? Having done two QM2 cruises and two on Queen Vicky we decided to try another cruise line. So we ended up booking Arcadia but we are beginning to have grave doubts about it, having read some dreadful reports about the ship - and P&O the other evening. Comments such as greasy food and poor selection in the buffet - where we usually eat most times. No icecream, no drinks such as cranberry or apple - all of which I love. Not much space in the buffet. Long queues. Very poor entertainment in the theatre - which we normally enjoy on Cunard. Poor decor on the ship, bland walls and gawdy carpets. Small wardrobes in cabins.........unhelpful staff...... If I'd read all this earlier, I would never have booked with P&O. So, what is the reality? Is this the worst ship of the fleet?

I may add that the latest comment was last month in May, so they were up to date comments - but they did extend back a year or so also.

Hi, you find will fans and critics of just about every ship and cruise line. Here are some previous threads specific to Arcadia:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1220807&highlight=arcadia

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1092582&highlight=arcadia

We enjoyed our only cruise on Acardia with the only disappointment being that smoking was allowed in the pub, although I believe that it is no longer allowed anywhere indoors. I think that you should try it and decide for yourself whether it suits you or not.

Hi, has anyone here been on Arcadia recently? Having done two QM2 cruises and two on Queen Vicky we decided to try another cruise line. So we ended up booking Arcadia but we are beginning to have grave doubts about it, having read some dreadful reports about the ship - and P&O the other evening. Comments such as greasy food and poor selection in the buffet - where we usually eat most times. No icecream, no drinks such as cranberry or apple - all of which I love. Not much space in the buffet. Long queues. Very poor entertainment in the theatre - which we normally enjoy on Cunard. Poor decor on the ship, bland walls and gawdy carpets. Small wardrobes in cabins.........unhelpful staff...... If I'd read all this earlier, I would never have booked with P&O. So, what is the reality? Is this the worst ship of the fleet?

I may add that the latest comment was last month in May, so they were up to date comments - but they did extend back a year or so also.

A cruise is what ""YOU"" make it. I feel that both Arcadia and Queen Victoria are crap ships for one reason or the other, ""BUT"" I have had two of my best cruises on these ships. On QV I had my entire family with me for our Golden Wedding shindig taking in Christmas and the New Year.

On the two sections of the Worldie we did last year on Arcadia, we had the very best table we have EVER had. The table of eight was so fantastic and fun, we tried to book the next leg as well but the ship was full.

Wouldn't allow myself to have a bad cruise ;-))

Mike

I would be VERY surprised if you didn't enjoy Arcadia. Our last cruise was in November, and a) we enjoyed the food, b) didn't experience queues, c) thought that the entertainment was 1st class, especially the resident Headliners Theatre Company.

The staff are great - I'm always impressed that within a couple of days, the bar staff remember your name and even the drinks that you order (yes, I am a bit predictable!!)

I'm sure that we'd all be interested to see your comments on the forum when you return.

Have a great time!!

Terry

We are sailing on Arcadia next year - first part of her World Cruise - 42 days to Brisbane. I "hope" it is nice :p I have read elsewhere about criticisms of her food - and somebody was saying that the food is no longer "silver service" standard. Well, I hope not - not sure I could stand that for 42 nights!! :o Sometimes here at home, if my wife and I have eaten out somewhere for lunch - all we want for dinner is baked beans on toast :) Could we have that also on some nights in the main dining room?? If we asked nicely?? What about on a "Formal" night??

Barry

If you look hard enough you will find bad reviews on all ships Cunard, Celebrity, P&O..... I love Arcadia and have sailed on her 3 times to Med, Canaries and Venice 16 nighter, She is as good as any of the others in the fleet, the food was very good too. Name any ship and you'll find poor reviews...:rolleyes:

A review only yesterday of your favourite ship QM for example...

''I have just been on cunards Queen Mary 2 the land of the midnight sun 14th -25th June 2010. my 1st cruise and the last if they all go by that.''

the ship from the outside fantastic, but for as you go into the main door just a plain nice no wow factor nothing to say its the most luxurious ship afloat, ''

the britannia resturant evening staff were fantastic, food not up to the stardard we were given, same restuarant for breakfast and lunch very poor food and service.

.the shows very dissapointing walked out of 2 only went to 3. we both found the whole trip and experience not worthy of the old cunard name and will not reccomend this company to anyone''

------

...........poor theatre shows, poor food, get my drift? :)

I guess that Cunard and QM2 set themselves up for very high expectations from some people. For me, I would dearly love to go on QM2, but I would attempt to keep any expectations under control. If you expect nothing, then you cannot be disappointed! :p

I once read a review of QM2 written by a fellow Aussie . They really liked the ship, the service and food, etc - but said that they didn't really like all the stuffed shirts onboard. Perhaps that is the problem with ships like these in today's era.

Barry

I find the food on P&O a bit to British in choice , they do serve the best breakfast we have had at sea. but the main buffet and restuarant are a bit hit and miss. The alternative dinning venues have all been superb and we will mainly eat in those on our next 2 P&O cruises. Found the production shows really good but some of the guest singers and comedians left a lot to be desired.

It is always difficult when you change cruiselines all the negatives tend to jump out at you. I am not diehard fan of P&O but have enjoyed our previous cruises with them

Our first P&O cruise last year was onboard the Arcadia and would not hesitate to return to her if the itinerary was what we wanted. We particularly like the dining experiance the food was very good and although we were one of the younger couples onboard being under 50 we met some fabulous dining companions.

The ship is the same as the Queen Victoria with the exception there are glass lifts on Arcadia and Arcadia has had a recent refit to the aft decks. If I remember correctly they were built at roughly the same time to the same design and originally the ship that is the Arcadia was going to going to Cunard and be the QV but got switched at the last minute to become Arcadia. So if you have cruised on QV the Arcadia will be quite familiar.

Yes agree Arcadia like all P&O ships is very 'British' catering to British tastes, also the £ is onboard unlike other ships sailing from Southampton -Cunard , Princess and Celebrity, and the power sockets too are British 3 pin.

The problem seems to be a lot of cruisers just don't do their 'homework' before booking, like the Aussie who found Cunard too posh - I can well imagine a laid back Aussie would...

Arcadia is modern, contemporary and child-free so yes expect slight older people onboard from 40+ as young families will be on...umm Ventura for example...I'm not going to say it is 'full of old people' cause it isn't, I have seen as many older passengers on Oriana and Aurora.

But it is quieter, more civilised with no children running around, you can SWIM in the pools because they aren't there splashing and taking over with poolside games.. The dining room is umm, full of adults, so the formal nights are well adhered too,and its quiter and has Adult feel.

It all makes sence when you think about it., The other worries of the original poster could be said of any ship in the PandO fleet, - not much ice-cream to be seen, cranberry drinks (take your own! With PandO you can take your own drinks onboard which is a plus compared to the other lines - including some wine or champagne for balcony drinks...). The food was as good as the other ships as well. In the last year I have eaten on Azura, Oceana and Oriana so no worries there I can say they are all as good as each other.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I had no worries til I read those particular few reviews - can't find where they were. They weren't on Cruisecritic. Some of the comments could apply to the Cunard ships - they're not without their queues in the buffet at busy times and likewise there are problems finding tables. I shall miss the ice cold cranberry juice. At least I'll know exactly what our drinks are costing in the evenings as they won't be in dollars! Not sure I'm going to like the shower over the bath though - much prefer a dedicated shower. Not too happy to hear the wardrobes are very narrow. Maybe they're not - perhaps that person had wide clothes...... I will miss my free internet allocation as a 'Gold' Cunarder.

Go with a open mind not someone elses comments:) Too much knowledge is dangerous...did the at QM review put me off her, who hasn't sailed Cunard - NO !!! it was one persons view - there are hundreds of good reviews to read, as I mentioned - on ALL ships..

The wardrobes are a 1" or so narrower than some others causing some hangers to tilt on a angle in wardrobe -trust me this won't affect your holiday:D Cranberry drinks not sure about, but do take your own for the cabin and put in the fridge anyway, so you can least have a drink there that you like.

I have photos just of the ship for you to look at, here is the link to click:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia#5109436511152102738

Too much knowledge is dangerous..

Only when based on too little experience.

We have very little experience, compared to many cruisers, just about the equivalent of 8 months at sea. I would say though that our knowledge is still being gathered with each and every subsequent cruise.

How wonderful - 8 months at sea - do feel free to share your experience with us with photos and answering questions from newbies...

Yes it takes time when one could be doing other things, but hey, make the effort eh? :)

Archived