Local Tour Groups for W. Med Itinerary

bedazzling

Does anyone know of local tour companies besides the private tour companies. I am traveling solo and would like an alternative to the cruise tours. My cruise connection site is not very active so I don't think I am going to have much luck teaming up with others.

If you can offer some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Euro Cruiser, that's an interesting question?! I am pretty well traveled and am looking to do some alternative trips - out Livirno possibly the Chianti area, out of Genoa, Portofino or Cinque Terra and at Salerno, would like to see the coast and or Capri. I am concerned about wandering alone and getting back to the ship. I don't know if this helps at all. I am starting to think that a cruise might not be right for me...because all the excursions I am finding are limo oriented and meant to be set up beforehand.

If you have any thoughts, I am open:)

If you were thinking of finding tour operators at the ports, looking to sign people up, I think you may be disappointed but, to be honest, I've never looked for them so maybe they were there and I screened them out?

Are you very far out from your cruise date? Maybe that's why your roll call isn't active yet?

For what it's worth, here is a company that offers shared tours from Livorno, one of which is a Tuscany and Chianti wine tour: http://www.enjoytuscany.net/panoramic_tuscany.asp

I know nothing about them, maybe someone with experience will speak up.

Euro Cruiser thank you for your suggestion. Definitely not looking to book at the 11th hour at the port. I have used tours in Carib and booked from home. But Europe seems a little more challenging. I am not leaving till Sept.25th so I have some time. Hopefully my date ll get more active. I've met really nice people through Cruise Critic.

I travel solo and although I mostly do ports on my own, I occasionally take a private tour or local tour.

What is your primary concern about private tours? The cost? Making the arrangements in advance?

I guess I'm not completely understanding what you are looking for. Some of the sightseeing you mention could realistically only be accomplished by a limo/taxi on a one-day port visit (unless you want to rent a car and wander).

Thanks for asking Cruise Mom = I guess I would prefer to be with a few other people and the cost of doing a limo for 1. In the past, I have gone out with smail groups and it was lovely and more manageable than the cruise line tours. This will be my first Med cruise so I am not as knowledgable so I have turned to Cruise Critic for some ideas. I chose a cruise cause the cooking and hiking tour I had selected to do in Amalfi seemed prohibitive, but I now see that this is going in that direction. I may have to rethink cruising. I love alone time, but I would prefer to tour with other people unless I am in a city like Barcelona or Nice.

Thanks for getting me to clarify what I meant.

Okay, now I have a better idea of what you are looking for. :)

How long is it until your cruise? Sometimes roll calls sort of languish for a while and then get really active around the time that final payments are due. Perhaps that will be the case. Also, I suggest you make it known that you are looking to share private tours. I've also seen that some people don't necessarily advertise they are arranging a private tour, but if they see someone looking to share they may post and offer to include you.

Alternatively, you could be proactive and book a tour or two (especially if your cruise is well in advance) and ask for others to share with you. Sometimes people don't want to take on the task of arranging a tour, but may be happy to join in if someone else has done the legwork in advance. Most tour guides don't have any penalty for canceling if you do so within their guidelines (in case you don't find anyone to share with you.)

Unfortunately, most of the Med tour guides I've read about don't arrange tour shares (as some companies do in St Petersburg, for example).

As eurocruiser suggested, I have sometimes taken public transportation from the port into the city (e.g., Civitavecchia to Rome) and joined a small group tour there that I arranged in advance. Maybe that will work for you.

Look for info on your ports here on these board and decide what you most want to do. Then see if you can't figure out a way to do it. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I think I will make some suggestions on my roll call and see if I get some takers. I am fine in Rome and Nice on my own so I just have a few ports where I would like to connect with others. I might use the cruise line for CT and Amalfi if I get stuck. Thanks for you advice. The boards are invaluable.

Archived