Cruise Ships leaving LA/Long Beach

jkbe321

Living here in SoCal, we do not get the cruise news that others seem to get, nor do I have the time to follow it very closely.

I have read both here and on the RCCL website that they are leaving. I read a post that Carnival and Princess are leaving the west coast also.

Can someone let me know where I can find this information (I already searched the boards) and when Carnival is planning on pulling out of Long Beach? We are in the very early planning stages of planning a Carnival cruise for my 40th.

Thanks.

Princess is still sailing out of LA, at least till Jan of 2011 since we just booked the Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire Princess. Princess also runs their 14 day Hawaii cruises out of LA. I know there were sending the Sapphire Princess on a trip across the Pacific, but they still seem to plan on continuing their sailings our of LA.

I would certainly take any "info" you heard on these boards with a grain of salt. Someone posted on the Princess board that a "good source" said that all of the cruiselines were pulling out of the west coast within the year. Of course, if one looked at the Princess website, they would see that both the Sapphire Princess and the Golden Princess were doing the Hawaiian intinerary in the 2011-12 season (with the Sapphire also doing the month long cruise mentioned above as well as some Mexican Riviera cruises). Haven't heard that Carnival is dropping the MR and Baja cruises. Disney is bringing over a ship for MR cruises.

The problem with quoting such "news" is that people heard something similar or even a rumor and then jump to an assumption that is often wrong.

Check out the cruiseline websites for a cruise you are interested in and book it. Of course RC was booking west coast cruises for next year until they made a decision to desert us. But that doesn't mean another cruiseline won't be salivating about picking up more business, especially from the many cruising enthusiasts who don't want to be flying to the east coast just to start a cruise.

Carnival Cruises announced today that it will return to the Port of Los Angeles in fall 2011 when the 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit launches a series of five- and nine-day Mexican Riviera voyages.

"It's been eight years since Carnival Cruise Lines home-ported a ship at the World Cruise Center and we are extremely pleased to welcome them back to the Port of Los Angeles," said Port Executive Director Geraldine Knatz, Ph.D. "The additional Carnival ship calls help fuel regional tourism and benefit our local economy by generating jobs and revenue connected to ship services and retail sales."

Carnival Spirit's new Los-Angeles-based schedule will include 12 departures between September 2011 and January 2012. One of the departures will include a 15-day voyage from Los Angeles to Hawaii in December 2011. The namesake vessel in the line's Spirit-class, Carnival Spirit offers a range of facilities and features, including a two-level promenade lined with themed bars, lounges and nightspots, along with a 13,500-square-foot spa, indoor and outdoor promenades, and supervised programs for children in three age groups. Eighty percent of the ship's staterooms offer either an ocean view or private balcony. For more information, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit www.carnival.com.

I just noticed this today when I was searching cruises for the Spirit. Why are they pulling out of San Diego? Darn it. I love departing from San Diego. It is a closer drive for me and my favorite town and now they are building a brand new cruise terminal. There won't be any ships to use the new terminal that is scheduled to open in December.:confused: I love the Spirit class ships and when they pulled the Pride out then pulled Elation out which I've sailed on too it is really starting to tick me off.

They wouldn't pull out all west coast. Maybe changing which port they go out of. (like long beach to San Pedro ect. But look how many cruises go out of west coast. So if any truth to it. It would be like changing from port to port ect. I heard reason carnival is changing from long beach to San Pedro is to do maintaince to it. So by moving ships over they can do quick and safely. So idea of cruises leaving west coast is just a rumor. Maybe pulling certain ships. That's when you usually hear the sky is falling rumor mill running at full speed. Like when spirit stopped all the Mexican riveria. Ended up splendor came over. So plan your cruise,

Living here in SoCal, we do not get the cruise news that others seem to get, nor do I have the time to follow it very closely.

I have read both here and on the RCCL website that they are leaving. I read a post that Carnival and Princess are leaving the west coast also.

Can someone let me know where I can find this information (I already searched the boards) and when Carnival is planning on pulling out of Long Beach? We are in the very early planning stages of planning a Carnival cruise for my 40th.

Thanks.

http://www.eturbonews.com/16839/west-coast-s-biggest-cruise-ship-leaving-los-angeles

There is a news article says due to gang wars in Mexico is main reason why they are moving some ships out. But like mariner of the seas had like 250,000 people last year. I think more is the economy.

Thanks.

Crystal Cruises is increasing their departures from Los Angeles, beginning November of this year.

They have 7-night cruises round trip to the Mexican Riviera, 10-night cruises to the Sea of Cortez, and 14-night cruises round trip to Hawaii.

Next summer they will cruise a full season of round-trip Alaska cruises from San Francisco.

Azamara Club Cruises will offer two 11-night Sea of Cortez cruises round-trip from San Diego in January, 2011.

Oceania Cruises will also do a full season of Alaska cruises, including two round-trips from San Francisco next summer.

I am more excited about all of the above than about the departure of some other ships.

Crystal Cruises is increasing their departures from Los Angeles, beginning November of this year.

They have 7-night cruises round trip to the Mexican Riviera, 10-night cruises to the Sea of Cortez, and 14-night cruises round trip to Hawaii.

Next summer they will cruise a full season of round-trip Alaska cruises from San Francisco.

Azamara Club Cruises will offer two 11-night Sea of Cortez cruises round-trip from San Diego in January, 2011.

Oceania Cruises will also do a full season of Alaska cruises, including two round-trips from San Francisco next summer.

I am more excited about all of the above than about the departure of some other ships.

But those are premium cruise lines charging 3 times the price for only maybe being 10% better.

Archived