Drink coupons

GrammyJill

Search seems to be down so forgive me for posting a question that has been asked many times probably.

I was thinking of buying my son & his girlfriend some drink coupons before our cruise. Can y'all tell me if they are worth the money? I believe it's 4 coupons for $20 bucks. Is it just for the DOD? We don't drink a lot of fruity concoctions so can we use them for simple mixed drinks &/or a bucket of beer?

As always THANKS for your tips & advice.

Search seems to be down so forgive me for posting a question that has been asked many times probably.

I was thinking of buying my son & his girlfriend some drink coupons before our cruise. Can y'all tell me if they are worth the money?

We bought several for our May cruise and used them for any drink.

I believe it's 4 coupons for $20 bucks.

4 coupons are $21.25.

Is it just for the DOD?

No

We don't drink a lot of fruity concoctions so can we use them for simple mixed drinks &/or a bucket of beer?

Yes. We bought a bucket of beer (4) 16 oz. Bud w/4 tickets. Some bartenders will not charge any extra, some will.

On drinks they will charge you whatever the overage is plus 15% gratuity on that amount. For instance, drink is $8.00, coupon worth $5.75, charge = $2.25 + 15% gratuity.

You can also order from the Bon Voyage Dept. bottles of liquor to be delivered to their room. A little more pricey than you normally pay but cheaper than buying simple mixed drinks, say jack & coke. Usually they are 1 liter bottles. We ordered1 Jameson and 1 bottle Tequila for $95.00, which comes out to about 54 drinks. We had a 6 day cruise.

As always THANKS for your tips & advice.

Happy Sailing

I have only used them once, but found them to be a good value. Granted, I don't drink much but when I do prefer foo foo drinks and/or dessert wine with dinner. These worked great with the foo foos. I have heard they charge additional for some drinks/sizes. When we cruised with CCL 2 years ago we weren't charged anything additional, but things may have changed since then. We will find out just how much next month. I have purchased enough for a drink or two per day.

IMO- while they are 'worth it' it may be a better option for you to get them "onboard credit" or Funship dollars. Not only can these two things be used for Anything onboard, ie: Pictures, etc. but, they will not have to keep up with the 'tickets'. The drink coupons are just that, little blue tickets that you must present to the bartender along with your S&S pass. They are good 'toward' any drink, you get the face value of the 'coupon' and any extra will be charged to the SS account. (somepeople will tell you that some bartenders will not charge extra...most will, somepeople will tell you to 'go to the same bartender all week and tip him to take care of the extra'--might work, might not, and do you want to 'go to the same bartender all week' just to maybe save a few cents?)

you will get many different opinions.... for us, they were just a pain, (not bad, just incoveinetent) we always forget to bring them with us to the bar, or we forget to bring them on the whole cruise! I found one the other day in my bedside drawer...I just laughed.

You can buy OnBoard Credit in any amount, it applys directly to their onboard account, or you can get "Funship dollars" from BV dept (gifts dept), they can be applied or mailed and taken to the Pursers Desk at embark.

The coupons save at least a dollar on drinks that are $5.75. When using them for Domestic light beer such as bud light, you hardly save anything. They also never expire.

FYI: The 25oz can of Fosters for $6.75 is the cheapest beer oz for oz even beating out the bucket of beer...

How do I go about buying the 4 coupons are $21.25??? Also is each coupon good for any one drink? Meaning 1 coupon can work for a $4.xx drink or a $7.xx drink in a souvenior glass?

Each coupon is good for $5.75.

So if the drink is $7.00 (most) bartenders will charge your S&S account the difference. If the drink is $4.00 no change is given.

We had a bartender last time tell us that the 'new policy' was that regardless of the amount of the drink, they had to swip the S&S card, get the reciept and staple the coupon to the receipt.

(there are some here who will tell you to 'slip the bartender a few bucks and ask them not to charge you the difference- however)

We have always gladly payed the difference when we used the coupons, I dont wany Anyone to get in trouble over a few dollars, and I am certinally not in a position where I want to 'cheat' anyone.

JMO.

I am certinally not in a position where I want to 'cheat' anyone.

With that being said, do you know if they get a full tip with the drink coupons? I'm asking because I don't know. I heard they get zero for the soda card...Also wonder if you do the group all you can drink package if they get tips... :confused:

Archived