a couple of questions about booking

lorij1975

I'm doing a little research and expect to book my 1st cruise in a couple of weeks and I keep hearing about these soft drink cards and think they would be good for my kids. Do I purchase these on board or when I'm booking the cruise? Also is this the correct name for them?

What do I need to be prepared to know when I book my cruise other than if I want insurance?

And finally, my husband and I will be cruising with our 14 and 11 year old, will the ocean view cabins on the Carnival Elation be large enough for a family of 4? Any help is greatly appreciated because I am lost as a ball in high weeds!!!

Thanks!

The room may be a bit crowded for the 4 of you, but I would do it. We went with our 2 kids in an inside cabin a few years ago and we survived w/o strangeling each other. This time we booked an OV room and got the kids an inside cabin across the hall. It can save a lot of $$ to share a cabin and you will not spend that much time in the cabin. We are just in there to change clothes a sleep. However look at the price. If the 3rd and 4th passengers are $399 and an inside cabin is $499, it may be worth the extra 200$ to get more room, depends on your budget.

Lori,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'll try to be brief....it's not easy.

First, you will purchase your drink cards once onboard.

Do not book your airfare with the cruise line. Try to fly in the day before if possible. If you have questions about flights post on the Air board BEFORE you book. There are timelines that you should follow for arriving and departing your port.

Do consider insurance, but do not purchase it from either the travel agent or the cruise line. Check out Insuremytrip to compare policies.

I have not sailed on the Elation but it will be a tight fit for the four of you in a standard oceanview cabin. Cruise cabins are generally small and the bathrooms can only handle one normal size person at a time, two max if one is in the shower.

Look carefully at the deck plans and do not accept a connecting cabin. There will be a list of cabin features on each page. Book a cabin in the middle of the ship if possible. The fore and aft of the ship will be more prone to motion. And a lower deck will also provide a more stable ride.

Booking your first cruise is always scary but once onboard you will be just fine.

There are many threads on Cruise Critic about the above recommendations. Every question you will have has an answer here. Be sure to join the Roll Call for your sailing and check out the Carnival board too.

Our kids still talk about their first cruise, and it too was on a Carnival ship. Enjoy!!!

We sailed on the Elation years ago with 2 of our kids with us in an OV cabin and we did fine. Your only in the cabin to change clothes and sleep, don't waste the money on an extra cabin, use that money for excursions.

Unless your kids drink soda non-stop, you can buy soda "a la carte", without buying the soda card....and you can bring sodas onto the ship. There are water-based drinks that are included in your fare...iced tea, lemonade, water.....

The soda cards are good if you drink the equivilent of 3+ sodas per day...then, they "pay" for themselves. Otherwise, bringing your own, or just buying one when you want one (or, go without for 1 week....it's doable!!!) is an option!

How exciting for you to book your first cruise.

Soft Drinks: there are plenty of "free" beverages onboard for your kids/or yourself if you want to save a little change. Easily available through room service, Pool Deck buffet (i.e. Windjammer, Lido, etc.), or main Dining room. Beverages such as: milk, chocolate milk, iced tea, lemonade, fruity punch type drink, juices in the morning. If you choose to purchase the soda card the child would need to drink 4 or more a day to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, just buy as you go.

Cabin for 4- Very doable. We have had five large adults in one interior stateroom with no problem. Just like at home with one bathroom you learn courtesy and respect for each other. As this is your first cruise you will only be showering and sleeping there. You can also decide to have adults use the showers in the spa/fitness area. Ocean view cabins are the same size as the interior and be aware that sometimes the window is just high enough that you can't really see out it unless you are standing. Some oceanview cabins are also obstructed which means you may not see the ocean but you may see the side of the lifeboat from 8 inches away.

Insurance: research it well as not all policies are the same and not all cover the same things. You can purchase the cruise line but research it, from a travel agent, same, or through other sources as mentioned.

You will also need to know what dining time you wish to have as well as approximate table size.

Continue to ask questions....they are all good ones....and do your research. Feel free to email: directordee@eohio.net We've been on 20+ cruises on different lines and we've sailed with kids.

Archived