Can I carry on all of my luggage?

This is from the Carnival FAQs:

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W x 30"L. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"W x 16"H x 30"L. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-159

You need not worry about the two bag 'suggested' limit or the weight but I've recently seen people with bags that were larger than standard carry on size turned away prior to the security scan and required to check their larger bags with the porters...

:)

I'm usually able to because we only take carry-ons when a plane is involved. This trip we will be driving to the port. If I want to take larger bags (perhaps a small suitcase) can I carry it on or must I check it?

Absolutely, you can carry it all on. The problem is that you can't (usually) get to your cabin till approx 130PM. So you'll be doing needless schlepping till then

In Miami the bag porters tried to discourage us from carrying on our luggage stating they would turn us away at the baggage scan etc. They were only looking out for their pockets. We carried on two suitcases ( one for each of us) and one carry on bag. As previously stated, the biggest hastle is carrying them around deck until our cabin was ready, but that does not bother me. We find a place to park ourselves on Lido, enjoy the buffet lunch and before you know it our cabin in ready. Ever since one trip when I was searching "lost and found" for my suitcase, I have always carried on.

Have a great trip.

Please remember that anything you must carry on to the ship yourself, you will have to keep with you until you are able to go to your room, around 1:30. This creates a problem in the dining areas as aisles are blocked by luggage and it makes it difficult to get around. More than one or two small carry-ons is a bit selfish, IMO, unless you get there late enough that the rooms are already open.

Please remember that anything you must carry on to the ship yourself, you will have to keep with you until you are able to go to your room, around 1:30. This creates a problem in the dining areas as aisles are blocked by luggage and it makes it difficult to get around. More than one or two small carry-ons is a bit selfish, IMO, unless you get there late enough that the rooms are already open.

Very well said!!!! I agree with you

Very well said!!!! I agree with you

Thank you both for this I agree.. ;)

We are packing very light and my husband and I will be carrying everything on board ourselves as they will fit through the x-ray machine.

That way I know my luggage gets to the room. I will not block the isles in the dining room, I promise.:mad::mad:

Thanks... We'll bring a few carry on "sized" bags each this time. And perhaps a checked suitcase of snorkle/beach items. By the time we are finished having lunch it'll be time to go to the room.

We carry on one small suit case and two scuba bags on every cruise and have never had a problem. Once on the ship, we have to lug this around til 1:30, but that is OK with us. Good Luck.:)

I

AGREE WITH YOU. We have found that if you tip the Porters a few dollars extra they will make sure that your bags are one of the earliest to arrive at the rooms. Usually by 2-2:30 PM. Otherwise, you may wait til as late as 6PM>

I

AGREE WITH YOU. We have found that if you tip the Porters a few dollars extra they will make sure that your bags are one of the earliest to arrive at the rooms. Usually by 2-2:30 PM. Otherwise, you may wait til as late as 6PM>

I didn't know that. But we always tip and our bags usually show up early. Not always but 9 times out of 10.

I

Well it is your money, but room delivery is beyond the control of the Porters.

Well it is your money, but room delivery is beyond the control of the Porters.

The porters only get it TO the ship - once it is on it is a free fro all. When you get your luggage is totally up to where it is on the pallet and where that pallet is and who is unloading the pallet and where on the luggage cart it is and who takes that cart and how fast they are etc etc etc I never sweat it - when it gets to my cabin it gets there and usually I am not.

The porters only get it TO the ship - once it is on it is a free fro all. When you get your luggage is totally up to where it is on the pallet...

That's what I thought too. One time in particular I remember our luggage coming very late was a time when we got there very early. So I figured it was probably at the bottom of the pile since we were one of the first ones to check in. Normally we have it within an hour or two of getting on the ship.

while sailing with NCL out of San Pedro there were alot of passengers taking aboard their own luggage..

to some this was a way to avoid paying a gratuity to a porter..guess the

long shoremen union did nt take kindly to this and had NCL announce that

all passenger s with luggage to check them in with porters who came inside the waiting area with their dollies..

i guess if NCL did nt comply that the union could have walked off the

job:rolleyes:

I guess I don't really understand why people would want to carry their bags on. This is just my opinion, but do you really want to start off your cruise hauling all of you luggage around for the first few hours? This is the most exciting part of the cruise. Is it just to save a few bucks to tip the porters after you've spent goodness knows how much on the cruise??? Check your bags, give the guys 5-10 bucks and start your cruise off sans the bags. Again, just my opinion.

I really doubt most people carry on luggage to avoid tipping. My brother flies a lot and I can't even remember all the problems he has had regarding his luggage - lost, late, damaged etc. After awhile I would imagine this takes a toll on you and you might develop some "trust issues". I check mine, but don't care what others do. Some people on this board amaze me with how they try to spend other peoples money. :-)

We usually travel with carryons, and when we get to the ship we check one and take the other with us as it contains meds and jewelry (a few items, not her whole collection). We used to pack my stuff in one and hers in the other, but now pack a little of each in each bag. That way if the one bag were to end up missing, we both still have some clothes. As far as tipping, the standard used to be a buck or two a bag so when we travel with the MIL we check 3 bags total and I give the guy a $5. We check more with her so we have extra hands to help her board than carrying luggage. Then the meds go into a large shoulderbag that Sharon carries.

I generally give my big bag to the porters when I board early. But for my Victory cruise out of San Juan, I don't arrive until after 4:00, so I was planning to just carry it on myself since I doubt there will be many other people boarding at that time.

Its a VACATION. I pop the trunk, get out of the car, look for a porter and reach for my money clip. He takes the bags out of the trunk, I hand him some money and drive off to park the car. Barb takes the little carry on and waits for me by the terminal entrance. Why do portage on a vacation????

50 cruises, over 2000 air flights,

total number of pieces of luggage lost= zero.

Items missing from luggage=zero.

Times luggage is locked=zero.

Valuable items in luggage=zero.

Archived