Miami Hotel Recommendation??

Dpeeps

[quote name='jerseygirl3']Here is a copy of the review I did of Puntino's restaurant when we returned:

Okay, so I have mixed feelings about sharing info about this little gem of a restaurant. I fear it will become overrun with Cruise Critics and I'll never be able to get a reservation again! Well, given the fact that I am so altruistic, I will take my chances and tell you all about this wonderful restaurant.

My sister is actually the one who stumbled upon it about 6 weeks ago while she was staying at the Intercontinental Hotel Miami. The hotel didn't recommend it (tsk, tsk...they really should), but she found it on her own. Anyway, while she was eating dinner, she kept texting me and sending me photos of each course, raving about how wonderful the food was. Since we knew we'd (DH and I and my sister, her DH, and their 9-year-old twins) be meeting up in Miami last week for two night precruise to the Celebrity Century, we just had to make a dinner reservation there.

We stopped in the day before while we were out walking around to make a reservation. The staff could not have been more accommodating. They gave us the time we wanted and even asked if we had a preference where we'd like to sit. Having taken of that, we eagerly awaited our dining experience for the following evening.

We arrived at 7 p.m. to find our lovely table waiting. White linen table cloth, linen napkins, short little vases with red roses and tealight candles added to the ambiance. We started with a bottle of cabarnet sauvignon, which was lovely. Now for the best part...the food! And folks, this ain't "Olive Garden" Italian food...this is authentic Italian!

Among the appetizers we selected were:

Zuppa Di Cozze - Sautee of fresh mussels, fish broth, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, white wine, parsley and crushed red pepper served with homemade crostini bread. To die for! The mussels were small and tender, with loads of flavor. A winner!

Frittura Di Pesce - Tender squid rings and shrimp, lightly floured and fried. Served with spicy Italian marinara sauce. Outstanding!

Also ordered Bruschetta Puntino that was excellent, and another appetizer that consisted of fresh mozzarella with imported Parma prosciutto that was buttery and just melted in your mouth, along with freshly toasted French baguette.

For our main course, our orders went something like this:

Lasagna for the kids. My sister asked the waitress if she would kindly split the dish and not let the kids know they were sharing, and this was happily done. We weren't even charged for sharing a dish and the kids were none the wiser!

Ravioli Al Granchio - Homemade ravioli filled with jumbo crab meat and lemon zest and served in a light pink sauce. So plentiful we all had a taste and there was still leftover.

Rigatoni All 'Amatriciana - with Italian bacon, onions, fresh tomatoes and pecorino cheese. So flavorful, each and every ingredient burst in your mouth.

Pennette Funghi - Penne pasta with sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil, served with a creamy tomato sauce. My sister's favorite and oh so flavorful. This one's a keeper!

Although not on the menu, we asked for a big plate of linquine and lots of fresh fish. The staff happily complied and served a huge platter of perfectly cooked (al dente) linguine with mounds of shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, squid. All this with a "just right heat" fra diavolo marinara sauce

Along the way, we also had a couple more bottles of vino (Sangiovese and more Cab Sav).

This dinner was not just outstanding food and service, but an entire experience. The chef came out and introduced himself. The owner was absolutely charming (and much younger than I expected) and told us his family owned several restaurants in Italy, most notably in Naples and Rome (if I recall correctly, by this time the wine was flowing...LOL). We even got to meet the artist who did all the artwork for the restaurant (pop art to the extreme, what a talent he is). His name is Leonardo Hidalgo and he hails from Equador. If you get a chance, google him and check out his artwork...he is crazy talented!!!

Our dining experience lasted approx. 3 hours (per our request). Of course, if you prefer a speedier meal (but why would you?), it wouldn't take that long. We were too stuffed for dessert, but I have no doubt those selections are all winners as well.

You would expect that the prices for a Miami downtown restaurant of this quality would break the bank...but you would be wrong! When you check out the prices, I think you'll be happily surprised at how affordable it is to eat at Puntino.

I am putting the link to this restaurant so others can partake of this gustatory feast the next time they are in Miami. It is located just a block from Bayside Marina, so it's easily accessible and in a safe area for walking.

I would like to thank Cristoforo Pignata and his staff for the wonderful attention to detail provided us on this most memorable evening. We will surely make this a mandatory stop on every future visit to Miami!

[URL]http://puntinodowntown.com/[/URL]

Mangia!!!

Jo-Ann[/quote]

Jo-Ann, that was just plain down right mean....I mean really my mouth is watering just reading this. Thanks for the wonderful review. SO glad I made reservations, this sounds like a place not to be missed.

Laura

[quote name='melindda']I went back to the last minute travel site and put my information in again and downtown did come up, I am awaiting final confirmation for 3 rooms and hopeful that we get it.
Thanks for all the info![/quote]

So glad you found it. I was coming back to say that I found it for your night but saw you found it also.

Laura

[quote name='RRLLAL']How would one know it is for the Intercontinental?[/quote]

When you are on the LMT website with the list of possible downtown Miami hotels, find the hotel you think is the IC, then click on the "more info" link. On the next webpage, the URL (web address) at the very top of your screen will have "hotelID=917" -- that is the Intercontinental Downtown Miami. In the description you will see "66,000 –sq ft of event space" and "644 guestrooms" - those are also some hints.

Go back to the top of this thread and find post #66 by Kittycat - he/she explains a nice trick to find out hotel names on LMT.

[quote name='tumper']When you are on the LMT website with the list of possible downtown Miami hotels, find the hotel you think is the IC, then click on the "more info" link. On the next webpage, the URL (web address) at the very top of your screen will have "hotelID=917" -- that is the Intercontinental Downtown Miami. In the description you will see "66,000 –sq ft of event space" and "644 guestrooms" - those are also some hints.

Go back to the top of this thread and find post #66 by Kittycat - he/she explains a nice trick to find out hotel names on LMT.[/QUOTE]

Got it. Thanks a lot, that is some real good info. I must have missed that post at first.

[quote name='debmarie']Jo-Ann, you are my new BFF! Booked the Intercontinental! After I booked I checked the website and the lowest rate for the night I booked is $270. Would have been a $300 night with taxes. Thanks for the info![/quote]

That's great! I hear that's a beautiful hotel and from the pictures it definitely looks like it. We also booked that hotel for October through lastminutetravel, thanks to advice from our cruisecritic pals :D

what hotel is described below in lastminutetravel? is this not the intercontinental?
url is:

[url]http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelDetail.aspx?hotelId=7932&provider=localTgsProvider&SearchResults=1&pg=1[/url]

General Description
5 star accommodations
36 - story hotel
Contemporary style and décor
Close proximity to business district
Close proximity to shopping district
Major attractions located nearby
Great combination for business and pleasure
Air-conditioned public areas
Rooms/facilities for diabled guests

Conveniently located in Miami’s financial district

Local Attractions
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - 2 miles
Port of Miami - 2.5 miles
Key Biscayne - 4 miles
Miami Seaquarium - 5 miles
Coconut Grove - 5 miles
Coral Gables - 5 miles
Miami International Airport - 7 miles

Recreation
Outdoor swimming pool
Outdoor activities
Relaxing full service spa
Relaxing spa/hot tub
Fully equipped fitness center with sauna

Restaurants & Lounges
Full service bar/lounge
Onsite restaurant
Poolside snack bar available

Services
24 hr front desk service
Concierge services
Elevators
Valet dry cleaning and laundry services
24 hour room service
Shuttle service is available
Business services available at front desk
Currency exchange
Multilingual staff

Meeting Facilities
Fully equipped business center
20,000 –sq ft of event space for business meetings, conferences , and special occasions
Convention facilities
Event facilities

Accommodation
203 guestrooms
ok, so what hotel would this be. MY URL IS AS FOLLOWS:

[url]http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelDetail.aspx?hotelId=7932&provider=localTgsProvider&SearchResults=1&pg=1[/url]

my hotel desciption is this

36 floors
Luxury guest rooms
Air conditioning
Cable/satellite television channels
Coffee/tea maker
Desk
Hair dryer
High-speed internet access
Wireless internet access
Voice mail
Safety deposit box
Pay movies

Parking
Valet parking
Parking fee: $32 per 24-hour

[quote name='john kaz']ok, i cannot find miami "downtown" as an option on LMT. What should i be clicking on? i am going mid april. thanks john[/quote]

On the first page, put in Miami, not Downtown, and the date(s) you are looking for. On the second page, on the left, you'll see a column called "Filter Results". Downtown Miami is the 4th selection from that list.

Peter Pan, how did you know that was the hotel being advertised? Any wyas, new to this LMT, (I am use to using priceline), I go to the web site of the Conrad by Hilton in Miami. Then resservations, and checked my dates. Came back as no rooms available for the dates in April 2010. How are they offering it then?

So I also ask, when is a hotel room paid for on LMT? Priceline, if bid accepted, charged right away, no cancellations allowed? Is LMT the same? Thanks for all the help, John

[quote name='john kaz']Peter Pan, how did you know that was the hotel being advertised? Any wyas, new to this LMT, (I am use to using priceline), I go to the web site of the Conrad by Hilton in Miami. Then resservations, and checked my dates. Came back as no rooms available for the dates in April 2010. How are they offering it then?

So I also ask, when is a hotel room paid for on LMT? Priceline, if bid accepted, charged right away, no cancellations allowed? Is LMT the same? Thanks for all the help, John[/quote]

What date are you looking for??? Maybe we can help you out.

Laura

[quote name='john kaz']Peter Pan, how did you know that was the hotel being advertised? Any wyas, new to this LMT, (I am use to using priceline), I go to the web site of the Conrad by Hilton in Miami. Then reservations, and checked my dates. Came back as no rooms available for the dates in April 2010. How are they offering it then?

So I also ask, when is a hotel room paid for on LMT? Priceline, if bid accepted, charged right away, no cancellations allowed? Is LMT the same? Thanks for all the help, John[/quote]

If I remember right there is a $25.00 cancellation fee. Ok just check my reservation and here is the quote..

Cancellation Policy
Please note you are within cancellation penalty of 25 USD fee.

Hotel cancellations or changes made 7 days prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time). will be subject to 1 nights/s fee.

Hotel cancellations or changes made 1 day/s prior to check in time (Noon local hotel time) will be subject to a full fare fee

Laura

No-show is subjected to a full fare fee

[quote name='john kaz']Peter Pan, how did you know that was the hotel being advertised? [/quote]

They linked the Tourico Holidays (a sister site to LMT) and the page URL shows HotelID#= 7932. The URL for the "mystery hotel" on LMT will also show HotelID#=7932. That's how you figure out... keep the link to Tourico open and plug in any number from LMT you want to find the name of the hotel.

[quote name='john kaz']Peter Pan, how did you know that was the hotel being advertised? Any wyas, new to this LMT, (I am use to using priceline), I go to the web site of the Conrad by Hilton in Miami. Then resservations, and checked my dates. Came back as no rooms available for the dates in April 2010. How are they offering it then?

So I also ask, when is a hotel room paid for on LMT? Priceline, if bid accepted, charged right away, no cancellations allowed? Is LMT the same? Thanks for all the help, John[/QUOTE]

The Conrad has 203 rooms and 36 floors per their website. It looks like a nice place. When I booked on lastminutetravel my credit card showed the charge by the next day. It is $25 to cancel.

[quote name='Kikkycat']They linked the Tourico Holidays (a sister site to LMT) and the page URL shows HotelID#= 7932. The URL for the "mystery hotel" on LMT will also show HotelID#=7932. That's how you figure out... keep the link to Tourico open and plug in any number from LMT you want to find the name of the hotel.[/quote]

Yes, this is how I did it. Thanks, I might add, to Kikkycat!:D

my dates are 2 rooms for two nights April 15 and 16th, checking out the 17th.

EHow close is the Conrad and the Intercontintal? Cost of cab ride to the beach? Are there simple reasonable places to eat, like chain restaraunts in the area? Most important, is it safe at night???? Thanks, John

The Conrad is a bit over 1 mile South of the Intercontinental, very near the Marriott, on Brickell Ave. I believe it is a pretty safe area. I'm sure others can tell you more concerning cab fares and places to eat. We haven't left out of Miami since 2007.

[quote name='john kaz']my dates are 2 rooms for two nights April 15 and 16th, checking out the 17th.

EHow close is the Conrad and the Intercontintal? Cost of cab ride to the beach? Are there simple reasonable places to eat, like chain restaraunts in the area? Most important, is it safe at night???? Thanks, John[/quote]'

The Conrad is the only one I see showing as of now. You could always book something now and then keep checking for the hotel that you do want. Sorry...

Laura

Thank you to all the Cruise Critic members who share such fabulous information! Just used LMT to book in December for $96 total with all fees and taxes at the lovely Intercontinental Miami.

That just puts a huge grin on your face when you read about a great deal like this.:D

Laura

I just booked the Intercontinental for Nov 6th at $96.86 per room (2 rooms, 2 adults per room) thanks to this great advice. I got the email confirmation in minutes. Thanks so much for the help and directions. The directions to look for "hotelId=917" in the url as well as the description under "see more" that says "66,000 sq ft of event space" and "644 guestrooms" really made me feel confident that I was indeed booking the Intercontinental.

I love Cruise Critic members! Between my hotel booking and the excursion advice, this is going to be a substantially better cruise because of the help other members have offered.

Thanks all! :D

Hello everyone:

I've been trying to get the Intercontinental for our pre cruise vacation. Today I was offered the following hotel. Id 7932, I know that is not the IC, but anyone has any idea??

General Description

5 star accommodations

36 - story hotel

Contemporary style and décor

Close proximity to business district

Close proximity to shopping district

Major attractions located nearby

Great combination for business and pleasure

Air-conditioned public areas

Rooms/facilities for diabled guests

Located in downtown Miami

Conveniently located in Miami’s financial district

Local Attractions

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - 2 miles

Port of Miami - 2.5 miles

Key Biscayne - 4 miles

Miami Seaquarium - 5 miles

Coconut Grove - 5 miles

Coral Gables - 5 miles

Miami International Airport - 7 miles

Recreation

Outdoor swimming pool

Outdoor activities

Relaxing full service spa

Relaxing spa/hot tub

Fully equipped fitness center with sauna

Restaurants & Lounges

Full service bar/lounge

Onsite restaurant

Poolside snack bar available

Services

24 hr front desk service

Concierge services

Elevators

Valet dry cleaning and laundry services

24 hour room service

Shuttle service is available

Business services available at front desk

Currency exchange

Multilingual staff

Meeting Facilities

Fully equipped business center

20,000 –sq ft of event space for business meetings, conferences , and special occasions

Convention facilities

Event facilities

Accommodation

203 guestrooms

36 floors

Luxury guest rooms

Air conditioning

Cable/satellite television channels

Coffee/tea maker

Desk

Hair dryer

High-speed internet access

Wireless internet access

Voice mail

Safety deposit box

Pay movies

If anyone knows this hotel, please let me know. It's $142.87 per night.

Archived