Checked Luggage: To Lock or Not To Lock?

Does anyone know if we can lock our checked luggage? It's been a couple of years since we've flown, and this is our first cruise, so we're not sure if the luggage will be opened and hand-inspected or if we can lock it like we've done in the past.

Thanks for any info!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If you lock your luggage and TSA decides to inspect it, they will cut your locks off. The best thing to do is fasten your zipper pulls together with cable ties. Then, should TSA decide to inspect it, they can simply cut the ties. I'm not sure if TSA fastens the luggage back with cable ties or not. (Sorry but the last time I flew I was with security when they searched my bag and was able to lock it back in their presence - that was before you were required to leave it unlocked or whatever).

Kelly

My Cruise Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/kfrancis5

Cruise Critic Partae Pirates Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise 10/16/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sovereign of the Seas, Cabin #4057 - 9/21/03

Brilliance of the Seas, Cabin #8670 - 11/09/2002

Paradise, Cabin E194 - 09/01/2001

Atlantic, 12/1991

Hi,

Where I fly out of they will not take your luggage from you if it is locked. They make you remove them.

We are told not to lock the luggage unless you have the new TSA locks that they have a master key for. You can buy these new locks in almost any luggage store for around $20.00 for two locks.

If you use cable ties for locks and the TSA decides to inspect your luggage, they put a different color cable tie back on and a slip of paper inside the luggage to tell you they checked it.

12/06/04 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;12;6;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

THE EMPRESS OF THE SEAS. VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE time98.gif

I work for TSA and you are all correct if the bag is locked the lock will be cut for inspection. I have also invested in the TSA approved lock and have never had a problem.

Navigator of the seas 9/4/04.

How do I get a countdown clock.

They keep changing their rules. Last month they cut the cable ties off and didn't attach new ones or leave a note. Makes me wonder whether someone else is opening the luggage besides TSA. That reminds me, I need to get some more cable ties - think I'll look for some in bright colors for a change.

icon_rolleyes.gifI always locked my bags but now don't bother. Any thing of value, I keep with me. On our November flight (AA) to San Juan, my garmet bag was inspected. I found a note inside when I unpacked. Nothing really looked out of place, so it was done gently. I'm sure the flimsy little locks I used would not have stopped a fly. I was the only one who had a problem unlocking them when I needed to unpack!

We don't lock our luggage - the locks are pretty useless anyway (almost any small key can open them). We have always brought the cable ties and found that the security personnel have them and fastened them on for us. I am not concerned about my stuff being taken - we don't put anything of value in the suitcases. I am concerned that the zipper will get stuck on something and open up, spilling out our clothes. That's the only reason I want it fastened in some way.

Future cruise(s):

Radiance of the Seas 1/05

There was a recent discussion on the CC Princess board about the use of the TSA-approved locks. Apparently, some TSA employees were still cutting the approved locks off. Here's a link to the thread:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=240101912

Personally, I think cable ties work great. I'm sticking with them for the time being.

Safety pins work great too.

Check around on the locks. If you do a search for TSA approved locks you will find lots of sites that sell them and some will replace them for free if they are cut off.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Voyager of the Seas!

Voyager 10/04

Rhapsody 10/02 03/02 1/02 11/01

Elation 10/99

Grandeur 09/97

I never used locks..always seemed stupid, kind of like a lock on a screen door. My luggage is fabric (as are most now a days) so I figure if someone wants in bad enough all they have to do is cut my luggage up. Never keep anything of value there anyway.

The Moyers

Dennis & Debbie

Navigator of the Seas 9/18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SCORPIO7:

How do I get a countdown clock.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scorpio7,

Try this link for your clock http://www.geocities.com/quietman01970/

Test it at the Community Guidelines and Message Board Help.

Happy Cruisin',

BichonBabe icon_wink.gif

(Michelle)

Explorer 10-24-04

Navigator 12-14-02

Sea Princess 10-9-99

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

10/24 Explorer of the Seas--Days until we sail!!!!

I never leave anything of value in my checked luggage -- but I do worry about the zippers on my bags getting unzipped enough for something to fall out, given how roughly the baggage is sometimes treated. Since 9/11 I use cable ties.

A friend of mine went on a vacation to Mexico, and when she got there both of her bathing suits (which were new) were missing from her suitcase. Whether they fell out, or were removed, didn't really matter -- she had a hard time finding a new suit!

BichonBabe thanks for your help. Just as a FYI TSA no longer will but a tie on your bag after being inspected this changed about a month ago. As far as TSA authorized locks being cut this has happend but TSA staff should know what they look like and get the master key to open. If anyone has any questions let me know I will be more then happy to answer as long as it is not security sensitive information.

Thanks

9/4/04 Navigator of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;9;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for all of your input. It looks like DH and I will use the TSA-approved locks, and hope for the best. We're like most of you, we don't put valuables in our checked luggage (except for our clothes which I guess actually are pretty valuable to us), but we're afraid of the luggage coming unzipped with rough handling. I just hope that allowing inspections does not mean that every Tom Dick and Harry at the airport gets to rifle through our stuff! I'm all for security, but it's a little creepy knowing that someone may see my new lingerie before my hubby sees it! icon_wink.gif

Thanks again. Happy cruising!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Aside from the airlines, do you know if RCI has a requirement to keep luggage unlocked prior to checking it with the porters?

Time to the Monarch

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Time to the Voyager:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

1999: Regal Princess

2001: Majesty/Radiance

2002: Legend/Rhapsody

2003: Navigator

2004: Monarch/Voyager

My brother in law was flying with a set of golf clubs in a travel case that was locked and they made him deboard, unlock the case and then return to his seat before the plane would move.

Galaxy 6/03, Carnival Pride 7/02, Voyager of the Seas 7/01, Grandeur of the Seas 07/00, Enchantment of the Seas 06/99, Carnival Destiny 7/98, Grandeur of the Seas 7/97, Sensation 6/96, Imagination 8/95, Carnivale 7/90, Festivale 7/89, Seaward (Norweigan Sea) 7/88, Carnivale 9/86

<MARQUEE>Next up, the Mariner 6/04<MARQUEE>

Bev,

Did you fly out of cvg? I am from cin. ohio also and was just wondering. We are leaving 9-25 for Miami and then the caribean on sunday the 26 on eos.

thanks, spatz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spatz,

We're also from Cincinnati (Mt. Washington) and we'll be sailing on Expolorer on 11/7! Have you planned all your excursions yet?

We've flown out of Cincinnati and gotten a note too left in our luggage when it needed to be searched. Nothing seemed to be out of place either. We always use plastic ties to secure our luggage so if they have to get into them, it's no big deal if they have to cut them off.

Just thought I would respond to the question about RCI and locking your bags. We drove to our cruise in Galveston so we didn't have airport security. We knew our bags would be screened by the cruise line but didn't think about not putting locks on our bags. We had not read anything here on this board or in the documents that RCI sent us about not putting locks on your bags. We put locks on our bags and two bags made it through without being cut. DH had his locks cut off of his bag. The only thing we could figure out was that when screening they saw his cans of Bandits, YUCK, and they thought they might be dangerous. The cans are cylinder shape and are metal. We won't be locking ours in the future.

Scorpio7, you seem to be an excellent source of information. I plan to purchase the TSA approved locks and hopefully the individuals doing the inspection don't cut them. But if for some reason, they leave my suitcase unlocked, like others you have read here, I worry about clothes falling out.

They now make huge ziplock bags (like kitchen sandwish bags) that you can buy and store things in. If I were to pack my contents in that ziplock bag and if they left it unlocked, it would prevent things from falling out, do you see a problem with that?

Appreciate your information!

Travelers & Consumers Printable Version

Air Travel

Accepted and Recognized Locks

The list below identifies locks that are “accepted and recognized” by TSA, which means that TSA screeners can open and re-lock these bags for security screening instead of cutting the lock. TSA screeners have tools for all TSA accepted and recognized locks that enable them to open the lock without damaging it if a physical inspection is required.

Some of the locks listed below are specific brands. Other names on the lists are manufacturers that produce a wide variety of locks, only some of which are accepted and recognized by TSA. We recommend that you check the packaging to ensure that it has language similar to "accepted and recognized" by TSA if you plan on using the lock for air travel. Most locks on the market are not TSA-recognized. This list will be updated periodically to provide the latest list of brands that are TSA accepted and recognized.

Brand Name:

American Tourister Accessories

Atlantic Luggage

Austin House Travel Essentials

Brookstone Easy Check

Eagle Creek Travel Safe

EasyGo

eBags

Franzus Travel Smart

Lewis N Clark

Master Lock

Prestolock SearchAlert

Royal Traveller by Samsonite Accessories

Samsonite Accessories

Samsonite Luggage

Sharper Image

Target Embark

Voltage Valet

TSA also has the ability to open luggage from some other luggage and/or lock manufacturers not listed above, although time pressures may require screeners to cut these locks rather than open them because there are many manufacturers, each using multiple master keys. It is very important to TSA that your baggage makes it onto your plane, and we will do everything possible to balance that need with security and customer service considerations. Screeners will always strive to open a bag, if required, without breaking the lock.

We flew out on May 13, one of our bags was inspected and the zip tie was replaced with one that said TSA. Now the best part is that we did not see two pieces (2 -3) of this luggage for 3 days, it missed our second flight to Barcelona. And the third piece came 7 days later. Everything was perfect inside all the suitcases, and there was a note that they opened the one bag. Was not sure why they opened it, since it was all clothes and shoes, but found out when I got home why. My son had used the bag and our lead bag for the film, we did not even know it was there, and it sets it off every time, we usually carried it in our carry on and just took it out and handed it to them before they even screened the bag.

My luggage went to several countries that I did not go to and nothing was missing or disturbed. But I always put those electrian wire ties on mine, if you pull them tight enough they can not catch on anything. But remember you need to leave enough room to cut them when you get to your destination. Oh yes, remember to put a small pair of scissor in the outside pocket to put them off. We forgot that once, and no one can break those ties, got to have scissors. And yes, my scissor have always been in the pocket when I received them.

We traveled to China, and the Med this year with no issues.

Gerry

Archived