Checked Luggage: To Lock or Not To Lock?

I purchased TSA approved locks from Brookstone. They came with a guarantee that if they are cut off, Brookstone will replace them for free. All they ask is that you tell them where the locks were cut so they can notify the appropriate parties at TSA.

We use the disposible locks by American Tourister (8 to pack @ apx $3). They are neon green. Our luggage makes it thru the airport just fine. On the way back from Vancouver 2 wks ago, 3 out of 4 bags were inspected. Random,yea right!! They were NOT resealed, but had the piece of paper inside. We use special cable locks when we give the bags to porters at the dock and before we leave them in the hall. I just take them off and replace them with the disposibles before we load them into the limo at the pier.

Hi everyone --

Here's an update: We wound up purchasing the TSA-approved locks at a local luggage store. The cost - they're not really cheap, 3 of them were about $25.00 . Is there any sense to my thinking that if the TSA sees that we're complying with their locks, they'll realize that we don't have anything to hide and therefore won't feel the need to rummage through our suitcases? Just a hopeful thought...

Happy cruising! We're less than 9 weeks away! :D

We bought the TSA locks be were afraid to use them yet. Both times we have traveled abroad and I was not sure if the other countries Has anyone had any problems using them overseas. I know the TSA at San Francisco and LA both said they were widely used in the US. And yes, Brookstones is where I found mine also, and they do say they are guarenteed if they are cut.

I did have someone rummage through my suitcases once, but it was while I was standing there. We were returning from Las Vegas and it was at their airport that we were treated poorly. First they only wanted my husband to take the suitcase over to the checking area, but since the suitcase had a combination lock (this was at the time you could still lock them), and my husband not only could not see the numbers, he did not know the combination either. So they were not happy that I had to go over and open the suitcase. Then they proceeded to take over thing out handfuls by handfuls. Then threw it all back in handful by handful, and then smashed the lid shut. I was not happy.

Gerry

There is no need for the TSA employees to be so heavy handed. Maybe we should all pack a few pair of dirty dainties on to and let them pick thru them first. I try to use the plastic seal air bags to pack thinkgs in. It really does save a lot of space. The rudeness of some of these employees is unbelievable. My mother (age 83) was traveling with a broken wrist. It was in a cast and she had a sling. I bought an extra sling and hot glued a plastic pouch on the front for her license and sewed a little coin purse on the back for a little cash. Packed her purse into her carry on bag. She was singled out, made to take off her shoes, wanded, they unpacked her carry on and expected her to put it all back in with the broken wrist. The female agent wanted her to take off the sling too so she could "examine" the cast. My Mom was nearly in tears when a supervisor came up, apologized for the "trainee's lack of professional service" and helped her get her things back together then called a cart to drive my Mom to her gate. I'm sure that the employee got a royal chewing out over the incident. I've had my laptop go on one belt, my carryon go another as I was taking off my shoes and being hand screened. I nearly left my laptop that had been set aside from it's case. Luckily a fellow coworker saw it when she was picking up hers.

My family and I flew last October and on our way back from Florida (we left from the Orlando airport) we were informed not to lock our luggage because they would cut our locks off. To our surprise, upon picking up our bags at the Omaha airport, we found that our bags were 'locked' together with quick tie type straps. We also found a note inside our bags saying that they checked our bags out and they secured them for us so we could feel that our luggage was safe in transport. We thought that it was cool that they locked our luggage for us! Basically, I wouldn't lock my bags. Maybe if you're lucky the airline will lock them for you.

I work for TSA and you are all correct if the bag is locked the lock will be cut for inspection. I have also invested in the TSA approved lock and have never had a problem.

Navigator of the seas 9/4/04.

How do I get a countdown clock.

Question: I have very expensive Samsonite given to me by my now deceased sister. The locks lock automatically when I close the suitcase. Is there any way I can continue to use them? They have GREAT sentimental value. I live in a condo without a basement or useful attic. I keep my suitcases under my bed. I do not have room to store another set of luggage.

There is no need for the TSA employees to be so heavy handed.... The rudeness of some of these employees is unbelievable.
What you perceive as heavy-handedness or rudeness is as likely as not simply security personnel doing their job, as efficiently as they can. I have found TSA personnel to be, as a group, professional and trustworthy keepers of the public trust.
when a supervisor came up, apologized for the "trainee's lack of professional service" and helped her get her things back together then called a cart to drive my Mom to her gate
Supervisors are there to help manage situations when a member of the traveling public has concerns with the normal execution of TSA procedure. While there are always a few bad apples in any bunch, the vast majority of TSA employees are good eggs, even though them doing their job sometimes makes us uncomfortable.

I purchased the TSA locks almost immediately after they became available for purchase. I have flown about 10 times since then (which amounts to 20 flights) and my locks have never been cut. Most recently when I flew back to NY from CA, I had to hand deliver my luggage to the TSA agents who were telling everyone to unlock their bags....I asked if I needed to unlock mine since it was a TSA lock, and I was told not to worry. Since getting the locks, my bags have never been opened, etc, however I did have my bag open once and found EVERYTHING in its place, and a note...additionally the thing of value that was in my suitcase was still there as it should've been.

If you are traveling out of country and are worried about the locks, as long as the country you are traveling in allows you to lock your luggage, you should be fine, but only TSA agents have the keys to the TSA locks as far as I know...

We used low-tech paper clips (the large ones) to fasten the zipper pulls together. That way, we could get them off without scissors. TSA searched my bag (found a note inside) and they just put the paper clip back on.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting your clothes in a plastic bag is a good idea. I have never seen a problem with bags opening up. But I have seen the zipper break due to over packing. You can not believe how poeple pack, I had a bag that weighted 98 pds today and I almost got hurt trying to get the bag on the tabel to search it. Here are some ideas I can throw out to you for packing. Packing your shoes and health and bueaty products on top this will help if your bag needs to be searched also if you are taking food or soda pack it in a bag buy it self this is going to alarm about 90% of the time and need to be searched aswell. So back your clothes on the bottom and everything else on top. If I have spelling errors please forgive me I am tired and half asleep. Any questions let me know.

[quote name='SCORPIO7']Putting your clothes in a plastic bag is a good idea. I have never seen a problem with bags opening up. But I have seen the zipper break due to over packing. You can not believe how poeple pack, I had a bag that weighted 98 pds today and I almost got hurt trying to get the bag on the tabel to search it. Here are some ideas I can throw out to you for packing. Packing your shoes and health and bueaty products on top this will help if your bag needs to be searched also if you are taking food or soda pack it in a bag buy it self this is going to alarm about 90% of the time and need to be searched aswell. So back your clothes on the bottom and everything else on top. If I have spelling errors please forgive me I am tired and half asleep. Any questions let me know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your information. I'm on the RCCL AOS 10/15/04 but flying to San Juan for a 3 day pre-cruise stay. There are 4 of us going. We are all planning to purchase the TSA approved locks from online. I assume you agree that these are ok to use? Also, we will bag our stuff inside to avoid the chance (even those small) of things falling out. All sounds ok with you? And we are very conscious about the weight, I think on AA it's 70 pounds or something. Being single gals, we tend to pack everything we own, but this time plan to be more selective to avoid the weight issue.

Any other suggestions, please let us know. But thank a million for your input!

We flew on Continental Airlines and we were allowed only 50 LBS unless you are an elite passenger or first class then you may have 70 LBS.
As far as locking your bags, I use the plastic tie wraps, wire ties, and I don't pack anything that is not my clothing or snorkel gear, one thing for sure that I also won't do and will never do again is book a cruise and air transportation together, where I be getting to the cruise departure port a day before and the cruise line will hold your bags over night as I had my bags cut open and then neither RCCL or the Airline took responsability for the items missing or to replace my bags, the only thing RCCL did, was to repair my bags with a big patch (this proves you don't have to have locks to prevent a brake in) and gave me an incedent report so I could file with my home insurance, but if did not have home insurance I would have been out of luck, so I always take my bags with me no matter how far I have to pull them and from then on I have peace of mind. Also at check in at the pier specially in San Juan you must tip the Bag handlelers as you will get you bags not only in one piece but you'll get your bags sooner than most people,I give $2.00 dollars per bag and a Bottle of water, they like the water a lot as is very hot for them.
Thanks for the info on the TSA locks.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='SCORPIO7']Also I just want to thank everyone for the positive responces. Some of us really do try our best to not cut locks and to treat your property as if it were ours.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You've been so helpful. I did purchase the TSA locks and feel comfortable that it was the right thing to do.

There are straps you can purchase in bright colors, some even have your name personalized on them. They wrap around your luggage and lock I think with a combination lock. Makes finding your luggage a snap. What happens if I use those? Can we? Will they cut them? Just curious your suggestions or thoughts. Thanks.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]I purchased, from Magellans, the TSA approved locks. They came two to a package, 19.99. Yes, if TSA accidentally cuts them, Magellans will replace them for the lifetime. Not a bad deal, and we can lock our luggage again! ;)[/color][/size][/font]

Please excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of pertinent questions.

1) Do the cruise ships still have you place your bags outside your room the night before disembarkation? And if so, aren't those of you who do not lock or secure your bags the least bit concerned that someone could slip some contraband in them? (I would sure hate to be going through security or customs only to find something I did not put there; especailly if they were going to throw me in the "pokey" for it!)

2) For those of you that use the cable ties; don't you have to cut them off? What do you do this with since you can't carry scissors or a knife in your carry on?

I don't even bother to lock my luggage. Before 9/11 (specifically, July 2001), I locked my luggage and the locks were cut off. When I mentioned it on the boards nobody believed me, in fact, I was accused of making it up, and then after 9/11 they started cutting everyone's locks. I don't put anything valuable in my checked luggage and refuse to worry myself about someone taking the time to put contraband in it. How would they get it back if I did make it off with their goods? Sure, there are crazy folks every where, but that sort of thing is not my worry, I refuse to worry about that. If using cable ties just stick a pair of scissors in an outside pocket of your luggage.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]I also pack our "undies" in zip loc bags so that I don't feel any "infringement" when and if TSA needs to access my luggage. Better to be safe than wonder if your personal items were "inspected." :eek: [/color][/size][/font]

Someone has to be different. I ALWAYS lock mine. Basically to keep them closed.
At Ontario (Calif) Airport they scan the bag while you wait and then allow you to lock them. At Omaha they open every single bag while you stand there and then you can place locks on them. I guess it just depends on the airport.

Archived